05-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #21
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbase View Post
Except it is kind of a disappointment. I was there last November (meh). Even the museum felt like it had lost all direction. A lot of floor space dedicated to an abandoned product (i3) and the rest was poorly curated- as if the Museum had lost its Director in 2015 and the position was never filled. The engine displays were great, but the entire experience just confirmed for us that BMW has lost the script and lacks a clear direction.

The BMW Welt delivery facility looks grand, but the interior space just feels disjointed and- well, like a premium showroom for product you have already seen 100x.

Olympiapark was much more interesting, and that thing arrived in 1972.

The whole experience feels like a perfect metaphor for where BMW is today; popular, but not very interesting if you understand anything about design and engineering.

But if you love the X2 or the fwd 2 Series GC, you'll love BMW Welt.

-Michael
I think it’s all in your head.

BMW Welt was designed and built when BMW was making “the cars that you love”. Design hasn’t changed a bit.

And for the BMW Museum, their main exhibit changes periodically. I’ve seen the exhibits dedicated to Mini, Rolls Royce, and one other I cannot recall. You have to go there multiple times, I’ve been 4 times.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0