View Single Post
      06-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

An interesting video, to be sure. Most things I agree with in principle, others are vague.

For example, I would not use Bluetooth as a source. At best, it's CD quality, at worst... well, it sucks. Not using as a minimum high bitstream MP3s, FLAC or MQA from the car's local source is a flaw in the testing protocol. From one car to the next, the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) can be the difference between an otherwise outstanding system, and one that - seemingly - just downright sucks.

Let's start with the basic premise that audio reproduction is a challenge even under the best of circumstances. Here are a couple clarifications I'd make to put this video into perspective:
  • Speakers are, IMO, the weakest link in the chain. However, the audio reproduction system is, in fact, a chain. GI=GO (garbage in equals garbage out). Adding outstanding speakers to a lousy amp or noisy source defeats the purpose, in fact it can exacerbate the flaws.
  • More (clean) power is better than less because as volume increases, distortion does also - more power means the amp doesn't have to work as hard at any given listening level (SPL), and is capable of passing more detail at lower listening levels, resulting in a better, less fatiguing listening experience. So power really is important, if it's done right.
  • More speakers can be better because you're able to segment the frequencies and disperse the reproduction in the car to fill in 'holes'. It's why you find (usually) a woofer, midrange and tweeter. They are sized according to the frequencies the are designed to reproduce. A tweeter near your ass is not going to be as effective as higher up where it can be more directional.
  • Seating in a car is never going to give the same sort of 3-dimensional image as you can find in a home. At least not without corrections (DSP), however anything done to the passenger side is going to effect the driver's side and having glass all over the car is an audio designer's nightmare.
  • Latency/Decay (phase) is not quite as critical in a car as it is at home due to the (much) shorter distances involved. If you're that discerning, you ought to not be thinking about listening to music in a car in the first place because nothing will be the same as your Dagastino Relentless Monoblocks and matching speakers.

I know there are some who trash the B&O system, especially its performance relative to the asking price. I do, however, definitely agree with the (discredited) practice of licensing of a name and slapping a badge on the system to fetch a disproportionate markup. How many people out there have been listening to a crappy system thinking it's great because it has such-and-such a name on it?

On the whole, I find the B&O system to be very capable. Not perfect, mind you, but capable. Perhaps one day I'll change the drivers, but for now, I'm perfectly content.

This might be of interest.

Is there some marketing fuckery here? Sure. Is it overpriced? Perhaps. Is there a premium for the brand name and fancy aluminum grills? No doubt. But it's still a very nice system.

Perspective is important. We're talking about a 100K+ car, and "high end" audio is often overpriced because of the cache attached to the various brand names. But those brands have earned the right to set a premium. Have a look at www.audiogon.com to see how the other half lives and then you'll know what expensive really is. But on the whole, I'm very happy with the system.
Appreciate 0