Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Do you really use the Freestyle Libre?
Yes, but I only use them for a few weeks at a time.

Quote:
If so, how do like it?
It's convenient when I need to get back into trim. I love the iPhone app's NFC interface, and don't even use the included meter any more. Keep in mind that the Libre 10-day and 14-day units are *not* a CGM. You have to scan it whenever you want a reading. In other words, no alarms if you're not scanning the sensor.

Quote:
Is it accurate?
You're asking the guy who has five weather stations in his back yard and is cursed to never knowing which one is "most right" to say that it's accurate? I use it more for the graph shapes since I'm T2, not the precise numbers. It uses a different type of testing than finger sticks or blood test labs, so you can do finger sticks with a trusted meter and see how it compares...apples to oranges. The FL meter is required by FDA rules to have a backup finger stick capability built-in, which is why pharmacies make you buy the meter even if you will never take it out of the box and use the iPhone NFC app instead.

Quote:
Got an RX from your doc?
Required for all meters and testing supplies in NY State. I do get stick-on bandage-type donut rings as insurance that the sensor doesn't fall off on Amazon without a prescription. Not really necessary, though.

Quote:
Ins. pays?
In my dreams! They are keeping the OTC prices competitive with most insurance co-pays on similar items, so it isn't bad to self-fund it.

FWIW, the Freestyle Libre 2 (CGM!) was recently approved for sale in the USA. The iPhone app has apparently not been approved yet by the FDA, or I'd have that on my arm right now to see how it works.....