12-02-2023, 08:41 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I always bought manual cars for better performance and fuel economy but by the early 2000s, autos had just as good performance and mpg. Now autos have better performance and mpg. Autos also work great with turbos and a lot of engines are turbo now. I had a manual E90 M3 for 10 years and that might be my last manual car. The DCT counterpart was faster and easier to drive. Modern autos shift faster that you can shift a manual, accelerate faster, are faster around a track, and get better mpg. The only thing they don’t do better is occupy the driver. If you need something to do while driving, a manual gives you more to do.
So let's get some precision here. A DTC is a manual transmission that has two clutches running separate gear sets where the clutches are computer controlled. They shift very fast because the work is divided in two.

A regular slush box manual, with a torque converter, in a non-high performance car does not shift faster than a well-driven manual transmission. And on the street under agressive driving control a DCT in auto mode can't anticipate what gear the driver wants in advance of the shift.
Appreciate 0