10-26-2023, 03:45 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFoHo View Post
Thanks once again! I mentioned to them that I wanted a 'fresh' battery and they assured me that they are all brand new, but I'd check anyway.

They quoted me just over £300 + £70 fitting which seems awfully steep! I'm not sure if it's worth shopping around some more?

I can get a 'Yuasa (?!) YBX9020 Start/Stop 12V 105AH 950A AGM' for £252 + £27 fitted from a local Halfords, for instance?
If you feel comfortable with Halfords doing the install...then they appear to have the best deal (in your case) for at least the battery.

It's not that difficult to install if you have a few tools. It may look daunting when you remove all the stuff to access the battery. But its not that difficult.

You need a few different socket sizes (I think it was something between 8mm through 13mm sockets) to remove the positive & negative battery cables. And an 8"/10" extension (sorry I'm not good with metric length sizes) to make it easier to access the bolts to loosen the battery hold down clamps.

Again, the positive battery cable looks complex, but its not. Just lift up 2 or 3 of the covers on the positive cable and loosen the nuts and the whole red thingy will lift off the positive battery post...the same on the negative post which has the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) and negative battery cable. Wrap the negative battery cable in a rag/towel/old sock to secure it from shorting out if it touches something metal while swapping the battery out.

Just loosen the hardware under the covers on the red thingy on the positive battery post in the green squares in the pic below...and I think you may need to do one under the flaps that have a green oval...no need to pull out any cables..and just loosen the nut on the negative cable to lift it and the IBS off:

Then there's two battery hold down clamps...one on the side closer to the trunk (which only needs to be loosened and not totally removed & one on the left side (this one needs to be removed)...using an extension comes in handy to loosen/remove these bolts:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-27-2023 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0