08-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #11
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
It used to be capped at 1TB until earlier this year. My current Xfinity contract will expire in a few months and I'm thinking about switching to something else. AT&T laid down fiber in my neighborhood a couple of years ago and it's true fiber as opposed to what Xfinity offers. My current download speeds are theoretically 1gig range but upload is severely limited to about 45mbps. Not so with true fiber which is symmetrical meaning download/upload speeds are the same. Seems AT&T is pretty aggressive with their pricing so it's tempting.

My problem is I'm a sucker and have a Triple Play plan with Xfinity so the price is reduced. Considering cutting the cord and trying something different such as Hulu TV for television since I already have a Hulu plan but not a full blown one with access to all the TV channels. The Triple Play plan includes a landline which I don't need but it's a wash because of the discounts the package provides.

I recently discovered Xfinity has an app that allows streaming access to everything which I've found really convenient. It's in Beta stage now but works really well. I have found this useful with streaming devices including Roku equipped TVs I have in additional rooms and don't require a "box" or "adapter" from Xfinity that costs more $$.

I'm afraid by the time I piece everything together that I really want, it ends up costing not much less than what I have now. No matter what, all of the big players have you by the balls if you want full service of anything.

The above description is kind've a mess but I'm not going to go through it all and edit it for tidiness.
We have Comcast in FL and AT&T in NC. AT&T is fine, but as much as I hate to admit it, Comcast (with their gateway) is better / faster and more reliable. Maybe it’s location specific, but that’s been our experience FWIW. As noted above, AT&T is cheaper though.

We dumped DirecTV after many years and went full streaming with YouTube TV for half the price. I’m still ahead even if I add in Netflix and Hulu. It took me a while to actually do it but once I did we never looked back. If you want package deals, AT&T has those too for internet/phone/TV.

Now I just need to get around to dumping the office and home landlines…
TiMSport12808.50