FISH22
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M3C  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Majority of the fear comes from non-Frozen owners. I own a Frozen White G80, and the finish is totally worth it. Frozen colors almost never photograph well, but in the flesh it’s something else.

On to your concerns... I’m a DIY detailer and have seriously enjoyed detailing/washing/cleaning the finish. It’s not harder than gloss, but some of it is different.

As you know, and scratches or paint damage cannot be corrected with an orbital. BUT, touching up rock chips is completely possible... I did it earlier today. I found a company called “scratches happen” and they have pretty much any color ever made. The thing with touching up on a frozen finish, is that you can’t finish it off with a high grit sanding to smooth it out. I was able to get my rock chip looking pretty good (so small that I used tooth picks to apply the paint).

I look at it like this.... every nice car I’ve owned in the past, M car of other sports car, I have had plenty of rock chips and/or battle damage from daily driving. I always took care of the issue in my garage, and it’s no different with frozen. Obviously, a big enough scratch would need a panel repaint, but the same goes for gloss... a bad scratch or damage down to bare metal will either be touched up or repainted.

I have been daily driving my G80 for the past 1500 miles, mostly highway. I applied Dr Beasley’s ceramic coating, so I have no concerns with bug guts of water spots. And so far, one very small chip... I’m leaning towards a rock on the highway, but my suspicious side thinks it might have been from the dealer during the break in service.

Anyways, enough rambling, frozen is extremely gratifying, totally worth the slight increase in upkeep. And I really think the frozen colors have finally found their niche on the G8x generation. It goes so well with this body.
Appreciate 1
maelfyn156.50