View Single Post
      04-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #20
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Thanks, this is helpful, and not that surprising.

To be honest, I wasn't really after a torque monster when I bought my first M6 (F13), it was more of a perfect combination of crazy performance, luxury, gorgeous looks - and a lot more special than 650 that I almost ended up buying. Now I know, when you get involved with M cars, there is no way back to "normal" as they are not that special... I had an Audi RS4 (B8) before the F13 and the engine was just gorgeous - 8400 red line, sound, responsiveness, I think the E92 M3 would have been similar, maybe even sweeter.

To be honest, my "car needs" have changed quite a lot during the pandemic... Spirited drives on backroads are all but gone, and it's usually freeway from Geelong to Melbourne and back... So, driving dynamics as a criteria have unfortunately had to move more to background and comfort and luxury seem to be more important. I even considered AMG S63 Coupe as an option, but quickly realised that anything within my price range would be either high mileage, or like the one I found locally here lower mileage but seemingly lived a hard life - a bit scary if the things that you can see look bad, what about things you can't see... Well, now I'm digressing...

Having seen the new M3 (and M4 - but that's a no-go for me), it does look pretty good, so I will take one for a test drive, who knows, maybe it provides the spark I'm hoping for... But would likely need to be the xDrive, and likely Touring for it to be materially different to not compete head on with the SMB F06 M6, which still after +3 years is drop dead gorgeous, probably the best looking car on the road unless you compare to some exotic like 812 Superfast etc, which is not a fair comparison as you can get 6 M6's for the price of one 812... If the M3 xDrive Touring fails to impress, I may end up with an SUV (really sad) as the new F-Pace SVR seems to tick seriously many boxes... Unless Corvette C8... 😇
I do like the idea of the M3 Touring and I believe they will only come as xDrive as well, but I think the B3 Touring will be much more comfortable and refined - are there Alpina demonstrators in AU?