View Single Post
      07-21-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
patchesj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPOWERED View Post
I am nowhere near the audiophile that you are. I was however that kid with a 12" JL Audio sub in my 300ZX thumping down the street. Around that same time I sold mid-high end car and home audio for an electronics retailer so I know a little something. My best HT system in the house consists of some Klipsch reference equipment and Onkyo receiver.

That being said, I was a bit disappointed after searching high and low for a 650gc with B&O and it did not initially live up to expectations. Admittedly I still like bass (not nearly as much as in my younger days) so I cranked up the bass level on the B&O about midway between half and max and the same with the lower frequencies on the EQ. I never was quite satisfied with the bass performance. The bass was overly boomy without much low-end sub-bass. Then I played around with the settings and low and behold, lowering the bass levels to just below halfway made a drastic improvement. My EQ settings that I stumbled on a couple years ago look similar to yours. I couldn't believe that there was indeed more bass by lowering the settings. I posted a while ago here about my experience. My thought process was that the by lowering the bass on both the level and EQ frequencies, it lowered that boomy bass that had been overpowering the sub-bass. Once getting rid of the boominess, i could actually hear and feel the sub-bass that was previously missing.
I sent an email into B&O to see if they would give up any info on the magic smoke, I'm not counting on it... But based (no pun) on what I'm hearing, they are doing some substantial dynamic loudness (bass boosting 50-150Hz) at low to mid volumes. They are also implementing a limiter/compressor on the subs to keep us silly owners from blowing them up. If you combine the two, it results in boomy bass when you don't want it and reduced sub-bass. Cranking down the "bass" adjustment will work around the dynamic loudness and allow the real low end (below 50Hz) to reach properly relative levels without tripping the limiter. --All theory until they actually give out design data.
Appreciate 0