01-22-2020, 03:11 PM   #784
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxoc View Post
I do t normally dip my toes in this water. @nicky dj, you sound like you've wrenched in many cars before. I implore you put an F80 and new M340i in the air and start inspecting. There are many missing bits on the M340i that matter. Yes, I've driven both cars. The M340i is a ways off. It isn't as apparent in a straight like, but I suspect a road course would tell the story. M340i does have the necessary hardware to drag race comparably with an F8x car. I also have a 981 Cayman S which many think is like a GT4 because of the way it looks. There is a similar difference between Cayman S to Cayman GT4 as M340i to M3. The extra hardware makes a big difference on track.

The M Performance line is great for BMW and the consumer. It's a lower trim level for folks who don't want or need an M for whatever reason. More people get to experience a fun, sporty automobile.
I'm not disputing anything you said, THIS HAS NEVER BEEN AN ARGUMENT THAT THE M340i IS AS GOOD OR EVEN WITH AN M.

All I've been ever saying is that with the new B58 closed deck system, M engineered coolant system, an M differential and a ZF8 transmission, this car is now a worthy car mechanically. This is factual.

I believe an M is better because it probably has heftier control arms, stiffer bushings, thicker sway bars, adaptive dampening coilovers, carbon fiber driveshaft, etc. I am just waiting for someone to tell me the specific differences (cause I don't know) between the cars and factual information instead of theorizing generalities.

And then you have the people saying "well I used to drive a M235i", and "I used to drive a 335i with the M Performance package" in which neither of these cars are comparable to the M340i just as much as the M340i is not comparable to the M, except for what I factually stated above. Does it make it the pinnacle M in performance? NO, does it make it M performance worthy (unlike the M235i and 335i PPK etc which are not), yes and BMW agrees.
Appreciate 0