BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thumbs up Alpina B6 Gran Coupe xDrive Announced and Coming to U.S.! Priced at $118,225

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Alpina B6 Gran Coupe xDrive Announced and Coming to U.S.!
COMMENTS

Updated with gallery from 2014 Geneva Motor Show:

Alpina B6 Gran Coupe - 2014 Geneva Motor Show

The Alpina B6 Gran Coupe has just debuted at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show (full details below). With most Alpina models (save for the B7), we North Americans can only press our faces against the glass and hope that more Alpina models become available to us.

That wish is coming true with the Alpina B6 Gran Coupe xDrive, which will arrive this Spring!

U.S. Market Details:

The 2015 BMW ALPINA B6 xDrive Gran Coupe will make its North American debut at the New York International Auto Show in April and will go on sale immediately thereafter. U.S. Pricing will be $118,225 including $925 destination and handling.

36 month lease rates:

10K Miles - 55% residual
12K Miles - 54% residual
15K Miles - 52% residual
Money Factor: .00130

The BMW ALPINA B6 xDrive Gran Coupe is available as a special order vehicle with capacity-limited production. European Delivery at the BMW Welt delivery center in Munich is available for the BMW ALPINA B6 xDrive Gran Coupe as is delivery at the BMW Performance Center in South Carolina. Customers can even choose both, if they wish.

The BMW ALPINA B6 xDrive Gran Coupe delivers exceptional 0 to 60 mph acceleration in only 3.7 seconds. The 540-horsepower and 540 lb-ft output of the 4.4-liter ALPINA Bi-Turbo V8 is channeled through an 8 speed Sport Automatic Transmission with ALPINA Switch-Tronic and BMW’s xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive system.

A carefully tuned high performance stainless steel ALPINA exhaust system with twin elliptical tailpipes resonates with a deep but unobtrusive exhaust note.

Electronic Damping Control and Active Roll Stabilization technology work together with the fully variable torque distribution of the xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive system. The seamless integration of chassis and powertrain enables agile and neutral driving dynamics that meet the highest demands for sportiness, comfort and all-weather traction.

With a top speed of 198 MPH, the BMW ALPINA B6 xDrive Gran Coupe impresses not only through its effortless and confident super-high performance, but also with its finely balanced handling and smooth refinement.

Name:  ABMW_ALPINA_B6_BITURBO_GranCoupé_01.jpg
Views: 22255
Size:  86.2 KB

Alpina Press Release:

DYNAMICS, AESTHETICS AND EXCLUSIVITY PERFECTLY CALIBRATED
Once again the latest creation from ALPINA sets new standards in terms of driving dynamics, aesthetics and exclusivity. Furthermore, the new BMW ALPINA B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé features some awareness raising attributes, breaking new ground and exciting the senses in a special way.

The powerful 4.4 liter V8 Bi-Turbo engine develops 397 kW (540 hp), a mighty 730 Nm of torque and is mated to the excellent ZF 8-Speed Sport Automatic Transmission with ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC for super smooth and harmonious power delivery. Coupled with BMW’s xDrive technology and a performance-oriented layout of the all-wheel drive system, this drivetrain delivers exceptional performance. With a 0 - 100 km/h acceleration time of only 3.9 seconds, the new B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé is the fastest accelerating BMW ALPINA to date!

Advanced electronic suspension technologies such as Dynamic Damper Control (electronically adjustable dampers) and Adaptive Drive (active roll stabilisation) work together with the fully variable torque distribution of the all-wheel drive system to achieve very neutral, agile driving dynamics which meet the highest demands on comfort and sportiness. Maximum traction, especially on slick road surfaces or in wintery weather make the B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé a perfect companion in all conditions.

The first 'four-door Coupé‘ in the ALPINA model line-up presents itself as an elegantly stretched athlete with powerful lines. The BMW designers have accomplished a master- piece with perfect proportions. A in comparison to the 6 Series Coupé 113 mm longer wheelbase connects short overhangs with an elegantly flowing roof line. The ALPINA typical design features blend seamlessly and elegantly into the contours of the Gran Coupé and accentuate its sporty, powerful appearance.
Finest materials serve the realisation of personal desires, exclusive paint finishes and unique wood interior trim underscore the stylish and luxurious design of every single B6 Gran Coupé. Optional comfort features and networked driver assistance and information systems complement the extensive standard equipment on request.

The illustrious circle of cars that can effortlessly and confidently reach speeds of 300 km/h and more is particularly small. With a top speed of 318 km/h the new B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé is undoubtedly part of that circle, but it impresses equally with its finely balanced handling and smooth refinement.

DRIVE – REFINED PERFORMANCE, POWERFUL DELIVERY
The B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé’s 4.4 liter eight-cylinder engine develops 397 kW (540 hp) at a moderate 5200 to 6250 rpm, with a maximum torque of 730 Nm available between 2800 and 5000 rpm.

Two turbo-chargers, each feeding one of the two cylinder banks, with especially developed large diameter exhaust-turbines and respective -housings, allow this engine configuration to achieve a high power and torque output over a very broad rpm range and spontaneous throttle response at low rpm.

The high-performance indirect inter-cooler system (air-to-water/water-to-air) with short intake tracts and optimised air-flow consists of a large-volume low-temperature inter-cooler and two engine-near inter-coolers. Additional motor oil and water coolers are located left and right behind the front spoiler and ensure the overall thermodynamic efficiency of the engine.

Specific MAHLE pistons are designed to deal with temperatures and pressures associated with up to 1.2 bar charging and the engine’s 10.0:1 nominal compression ratio. Altogether this set-up produces a specific output of 90 kW (123 hp) per litre and a mean total compression of 20.1 bar.

Direct injection and VALVETRONIC contribute to the B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé’s class-leading consumption and emission figures of just 10.4 l/100 km and 242 g/km CO2 in the Combined cycle measured according to ECE Norm.

Name:  ABMW_ALPINA_B6_BITURBO_GranCoupé_02.jpg
Views: 22105
Size:  82.7 KB

TRANSMISSION – EIGHT-SPEED ALL-ROUNDER
Adapted and tested in co-operation with ZF, the advanced SWITCH-TRONIC 8-Speed Sport Automatic Transmission is perfectly tailored to the power and torque of the B6 Bi-Turbo. It excels equally in the disciplines sport and comfort, playing a central role in infusing the B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé with ALPINA typical characteristics.

In Automatic (D) Shift Mode the blend of eight speeds and plenty of torque makes for super smooth gear changes only a torque converter can provide. In this Mode, explicitly programmed for maximum comfort, the B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé glides effortlessly and efficiently at low rpm and high gears, offering unmatched cruising ability.

Using the Sport (S) Shift Mode the transmission becomes significantly more dynamic, gear changes are executed faster and feedback becomes more direct. The system allows for multi-simultaneous down-shifts in milliseconds, hereby the transmission will skip several gears depending on engine loads and rpm to select the most favourable gear for optimum acceleration.

The Manual (M) Shift Mode gives the driver full control of the transmission. The ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC buttons are ergonomically mounted on the rear of the steering wheel, their actuation allowing the driver to shift up or down as required. A unique feature of the transmission software in Manual (M) Shift Mode in combination with the selection of Sport, Sport+ or DSC OFF Mode using the Drive Experience Control button is the deactivation of the automatic up-shift function. In this mode of operation the transmission will hold the selected gear up to maximum rpm’s (electronically limited) and will not automatically up-shift into the next gear. This is desirable in certain driving situations, for example during especially dynamic driving on roads with multiple tight hair-pin corners.

Hardware modifications to the transmission, output and drive-shafts allow the total powertrain unrestrained power delivery. In combination with the single-cylinder fade-out and ALPINA specific software modifications this eliminates the common reduction of torque required by the transmission in order to up-shift. This allows super-quick upshifts under full loads which are in no way inferior to mechanical transmissions and together with the all-wheel drive means the B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé requires only 3.9 seconds for the sprint from 0 – 100 km/h.

Name:  ABMW_ALPINA_B6_BITURBO_GranCoupé_03.jpg
Views: 21969
Size:  98.3 KB

ALL-WHEEL DRIVE
The all-wheel drive system exploits the technical potential of BMW’s xDrive system and its intelligent and dynamic distribution of drive power which continuously and fully variable distributes torque between the front and rear axle within milliseconds for a maximum of traction and control.

The programming of the torque distribution control system, which is interconnected with the stability control and engine management system, is performance-oriented and increases driving agility and dynamics markedly – especially under lateral acceleration – while maintaining neutral handling. Besides allowing optimum traction under acceleration by eliminating slip induced losses, the system continuously monitors a wide range of sensory inputs – for example steering angle, lateral acceleration, yaw angle and speed - to distribute torque so as to achieve maximum safety in challenging conditions or when encountering sudden changes in road surface friction.

EXHAUST SYSTEM – PURE-BRED, SONOROUS, LIGHTWEIGHT
The B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé features a full stainless steel exhaust system with two ALPINA trademark elliptical twin tailpipes. The character of the deep exhaust note is prominent but not intrusive. Active exhaust valves allow the balancing act between perceived dynamism and comfort on long journeys – the driver can influence the sound experience using the Drive Experience Control button. In Comfort Mode the exhaust valve is closed up to 2500 rpm and depending on load, in Sport Mode the valve is permanently open.
An optional high-tech and high-strength titanium exhaust system is available as an option. Developed in cooperation with Akrapovic, this light-weight exhaust system achieves a 45 % weight reduction compared to stainless steel.

CHASSIS – DYNAMIC COMFORT
BMW ALPINA automobiles place special demands on their chassis and suspension – requiring high levels of comfort for relaxed cruising, light-footed and dynamic agility for purposeful driving as well as safe and neutral handling at high speeds.

The B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé’s chassis and suspension technology builds upon the basis of a double-wishbone front suspension and integral rear axle. Furthermore it utilises sophisticated electronic suspension technologies including Dynamic Damper Control (electronically adjustable dampers) and Adaptive Drive (active roll stabilisation). This allows the driver to change the chassis and suspension settings distinctly between Comfort+, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ using the Drive Experience Control button.

The ALPINA specific calibration of dampers and stabilisers is tied into other system parameters including torque distribution, stability control, steering assistance and throttle response.

Stiffer springs and increased front wheel camber in combination with the 20” staggered wheel and tyre set-up result in direct steering response and precise handling irre- spective of the chosen Drive Experience Control setting. The high performance MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport tyres, measuring 255/35 ZR20 (97Y) EL, E / A / 71 dB front and 285/30 ZR20 (99Y) EL, E / A / 73 dB rear, fore-go run-flat technology in order to maximise comfort and allow non-limited top speeds.

EXTERIOR and DESIGN – ELEGANCE MEETS FUNCTIONAL AERODYNAMICS
The ALPINA typical design features blend seamlessly and stylishly into the surfaces and lines of the Gran Coupé, accentuating its dynamic, powerful appearance. In particular the delicate, elegant design of the 20‘' ALPINA CLASSIC light alloy wheels complement the long, smooth proportions of the Gran Coupé.

Although aesthetics play a central role, the design and shape of the exterior components is also subject to strict aerodynamics premises. The front spoiler with integrated, slightly forward positioned splitter directs more air over and around rather than underneath the vehicle thereby stabilising the front-end at high speeds. The design of the front spoiler ensures the effective flow of sufficient air to various radiator modules of the performance cooling-system, including inter-cooler, water and oil.

Special NACA air channels at the front of the underbody suck cold air towards the high-performance brake system measuring 374 mm front and 345 mm rear. Together the front and rear spoiler significantly reduce uplift to almost zero.

Name:  ABMW_ALPINA_B6_BITURBO_GranCoupé_05.jpg
Views: 20649
Size:  122.2 KB

INTERIOR and EQUIPMENT – EXCLUSIVE CRAFTSMANSHIP
The B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé features a very comprehensive, comfort-orientated range of standard equipment. This includes but is not limited to leather upholstery, electrically adjusted comfort seats with seat heating, navigation system with Bluetooth mobile phone preparation and ConnectedDrive technology, xenon headlights and LED fog lights.

The Blue ALPINA instruments, the hand-stitched steering wheel in LAVALINA leather, the door sill trims with blue illuminated ALPINA logo or the classic ALPINA luxury wood trim in Myrtle or Piano lacquer and production plaque – these are just some of the exclusive features of the B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé’s interior.

Naturally, no limits are placed on the personal preferences and wishes of our customers. From the paintwork to the interior trim to the colour and detailing of the upholstery – everything offered by the extensive BMW and ALPINA equipment range and more is available. Seldom does a BMW ALPINA leave Buchloe without making use of the virtually limitless personalisation options offered by the ALPINA Manufaktur. Our philosophy dictates that the customer can design his or her own individual interior – made by skilled craftsmen in our leather workshop.

AVAILABILITY and PRICING
The new BMW ALPINA B6 Bi-Turbo Gran Coupé All-Wheel Drive (left-hand drive only) is available to order from March 2014 onwards. Prices in Germany start at Euro 126.500,- incl. 19% VAT ex-factory.

Technical specifications and standard equipment may vary in your country and are subject to change without notice. Errors and omissions excepted. Buchloe, March 2014.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 10.09.35 AM.jpg
Views: 20573
Size:  192.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 10.11.55 AM.jpg
Views: 20865
Size:  67.2 KB

Alpina B6 Gran Coupe

Alpina B6 Gran Coupe

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
scutts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92M 6mt

Amazing vehicle
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
1sckride
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 ZHP

Amen!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK

I wonder how the US price will compare to the M6. This, in my opinion, is more desirable than the M6
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Eno335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal
I wonder how the US price will compare to the M6. This, in my opinion, is more desirable than the M6
      03-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Residuals are as follows for 36-Months:

10K Miles - 55%
12K Miles - 54%
15K Miles - 52%

MF: .00130

For comparison sake, the M6 Gran Coupe has a 1% better residual across the board with the same MF.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
I know a little but about Alpina, but why would this be more desirable than an M6 minus the AWD?

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
BenchRacerYo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT

Unless you need AWD, I don't see how this is better than the M6 GC in any way.
      03-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79
Quote:
I know a little but about Alpina, but why would this be more desirable than an M6 minus the AWD?
The AWD is nice for those of us in the snow belt, plus being able to put the power down through all 4 wheels is a plus (0 to 60 in 3.9 sec!) whilst I agree with the M3 keeping its RWD, these bigger and more powerful monsters should have AWD ( just my opinion, of course). Plus, on a relaxing Sunday drive with the family, I prefer the Alpina's exclusivity, and nicer interior
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

540 horses, that is a swift kick in the pants.
      03-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #13
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79
Quote:
The AWD is nice for those of us in the snow belt, plus being able to put the power down through all 4 wheels is a plus (0 to 60 in 3.9 sec!) whilst I agree with the M3 keeping its RWD, these bigger and more powerful monsters should have AWD ( just my opinion, of course). Plus, on a relaxing Sunday drive with the family, I prefer the Alpina's exclusivity, and nicer interior
Don't know about the M6 GC, but the Coupe has been tested to be 0.2s quicker from 0-60 than 3.9. I agree that the Alpina is a great car but unless you live somewhere where AWD is absolutely necessary I don't see this being any more desirable than the M6. But then again, as an M6 owner I'm very biased.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
i001947
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

What then would be the need for the 7 series?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
ShahiniBmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC & 2017 x5

Alpinaaa stepping it's game up . I love it
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #16
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

oh dear lord.

help me...

time to start checking the couch cushions for spare change.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by i001947 View Post
What then would be the need for the 7 series?
^ this ^

exactly what I have been thinking since the regular 6erGC came out.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #18
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

Seems like this is running up too close to the M6 GC in performance. Not sure what the selling point is beyond AWD option.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #19
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Damn. If only it were DTC and not ZF auto...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #20
devitocoke
Bimmer Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

What's the point of this vs the M6?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #21
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1995 740iL

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
When is the Alpina version of the 2-series Active Tourer coming out?
      03-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #22
motorsport_cat
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1995 740iL

Garage List
1995 BMW 740iL  [0.00]
Almost 10% more torque than the M6.