BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lightbulb 2014 6 Series Gets Frozen Brilliant White Edition, MT, Ceramic Brakes and Updated NAV

BIMMERPOST NEWS
2014 6 Series Gets Frozen Brilliant White Edition, MT, Ceramic Brakes and Updated Nav
COMMENTS
Name:  P90117694-highRes.jpg
Views: 11824
Size:  84.1 KB

New Frozen Brilliant White Edition Convertible leads iconic 6 Series into new model year.

640i Gran Coupe available with xDrive all-wheel drive

Woodcliff Lake, N.J. – March 25, 2013 . . . The BMW 6 Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe models will enter the 2014 model year with a stronger line-up than ever, thanks to new enhancements and a limited edition of the Convertible model sure to make heads turn.

Limited to only 100 copies, the new 2014 BMW 6 Series Convertible Frozen Brilliant White Edition will be produced in April and early May, 2013, and will be instantly recognizable both inside and out. Available as a rear-wheel drive 650i, or 650i xDrive model featuring BMW’s intelligent all-wheel drive system, the Frozen Brilliant White Edition will have a starting MSRP of $106,695 and 110,095, respectively (prices include $895 Destination & Handling), and will arrive at Authorized BMW Centers this May. Contents signature to the Edition include BMW Individual Frozen Brilliant White Metallic exterior matte paint, Frozen Black wing mirror caps, black BMW kidney grilles, and 20-inch bi-color Ferric Gray / gloss-turned BMW M Performance light-alloy wheels.

Other 6 Series equipment specified to the Edition includes Black Nappa leather upholstery, a black Convertible soft top, and Gray Poplar wood trim. The M Sport Package and Executive Package are also included, and xDrive models will benefit from the Cold Weather Package.

Additionally, the BMW 6 Series Convertible Frozen Brilliant White Edition will mark the US-debut of BMW’s new Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster, which allows the “personality” and presentation of the car’s instrumentation to change substantially with each of the various BMW Driving Dynamics Control modes.

BMW M6 Specific Updates.

In addition to the June 5th market launch of the M6 Gran Coupe, the 2014 model year brings other BMW 6 Series news, specifically in the territory of the ultra-high performance BMW M6 Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe models. The 2014 M6 will be offered with an optional 6-speed manual transmission, and M Carbon Ceramic Brakes are also now available. These options round out the intensity of the M6 model and allow enthusiastic owners to fully personalize the M driving experience.

The 6-speed manual transmission for the M6 Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe – available at no extra cost on all three models - was developed in-house by BMW M GmbH engineers during a two-year period preceding the launch of the newest generation of BMW M5 Sedan and M6 models. Control harmony, friction surfaces, and component strength were all carefully tuned and tested to produce the most involved driving experience possible. The manual transmission includes engine management software that automatically and seamlessly matches engine speeds during every downshift in the EFFICIENT and SPORT modes of operation. Switching the engine mode to SPORT+ cancels this feature and requires the driver to synchronize downshifts using the accelerator pedal for maximum involvement.

The M Carbon Ceramic Brakes option includes large-diameter, long-life front and rear brake rotors made of the most-modern carbon ceramic composite material, netting the M6 a 42.8 lb (19.4 kg) weight savings from the car’s crucial corner areas, specifically at the moving suspension parts and wheel hubs. This weight reduction increases the effectiveness of the entire suspension system. Of equal importance, the M Carbon Ceramic Brake system also quickly dissipates the intense heat generated by high-speed braking in the most efficient and effective way possible. Truly a “maximum performance” option, the M Carbon Ceramic Brakes also feature brilliant aesthetic quality, with a mirror-like self-polishing finish of the brake rotor surface and instantly-recognizable gold-painted brake calipers at all four corners.

All 2014 BMW 6 Series models receive the latest BMW iDrive version 4.2

2014 640i Gran Coupe now available with xDrive all-wheel drive

The 640i, 650i, and M6 models become the latest models to benefit from the latest-generation HMI, BMW iDrive 4.2. BMW navigation system which features a revised design and honed operating system. All 2014 BMW 6 Series models except M6 feature BMW’s superb 8-speed automatic transmission and are available with xDrive, BMW’s intelligent all-wheel drive system. BMW xDrive will be available on the 2014 640i Gran Coupe, joining other 640i and 650i Gran Coupe models available with xDrive.

BMW’s iDrive4.2. Display and control in the third dimension.

The newest BMW navigation system features a revised design and honed operating system. The menu-driven navigation system has been augmented by new functions. The user interface includes revised graphics and now comprises 3D elements, while the entire architecture of the individual menus is now presented in virtual, three dimensional spaces. Its 1.3 GHz processor and dedicated 3D graphics card, bring new levels of animation and dynamic transitions.

Along with the menu presentation, the navigation displays have been revised and enhanced. The map displays and guidance information are now depicted with even greater brilliance and sharpness than before. Additional function bars allow the map view to be customized quickly and simply without having to leave the map. The new function bars are superimposed as an extension of the original map bar and open up additional options. This allows for Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) or weather updates to be superimposed, points-of-interest to be displayed, or the map to be quickly switched from top view to perspective view. Standardization of the control bars in the multimedia sphere facilitates operation of a wide range of audio sources.

The Pie menu: greater operating convenience at a click.

The interactive map view also comes with the option of selecting special functions directly from the map. Using the iDrive Controller, the driver can mark a spot in the interactive map to open the Pie menu. This radial menu offers quick and easy access to a host of options. Depending on the information stored, the driver can have points-of-interest in the area flagged, read up on any stored details, start navigation to any of the points-of-interest, alter the map view and have the current location or destination displayed. If further information on a point-of-interest – such as the telephone number – is also stored, the driver can instantly access it and make a call.

Split-screen display with more detailed guidance views.

The split screen in the central information display also adds newfunctions. While entering the destination byselecting the state, city and road, the chosen location is also displayed in the map view on the split screen. The zoom functioncan be used to verify whether the destination shown in the relevant section of the map is the intended one.

For the navigation process itself, the familiar arrow guidance in the split screen has now been joined by a high-level guidance feature. This is automatically activated when the driver reaches a certain point ahead of the next navigation instruction. From a specified distance, which varies according to the category of road, the arrow display turns into a schematic, perspective view of the surroundings. This gives the driver even better orientation thanks to an enhanced depiction of the location and precise lane guidance. For an optimal picture, the perspective view changes in stages to a top view of the junction or intersection as the vehicle approaches it, while a dynamic vehicle indicator pinpoints the car’s current position.

The new 3D city model offers another view of select cities to aid navigation. If the 3D representation is available, a highly realistic depiction of the surrounding streets and buildings makes it easier for the driver to find their way around.

The mobile office: dictation function, voice memos and voice control.

The latest-generation navigation system features a full speech recognition function and optimized voice control system to complete the portfolio of office functions offered by BMW ConnectedDrive as BMW. The full speech recognition system now includes the dictation function which gives drivers the opportunity to dictate text freely and compose short text-based messages simply by saying what they wish to write. Just a few seconds after dictation has been completed, the transcribed text appears in the display and can be read out if desired. Drivers also have a number of simple-to-use, speech-based editing tools available to them for putting the final touches to e-mails and SMS messages easily and, most importantly, safely. The multilingual system can recognize six languages including English and Spanish.

An additional speech-based option to enhance office functionality is voice memos which can be sent directly by email. The advantage to the driver is the ability to quickly store ideas or to-do items and send them to the relevant addressee(s) – without being distracted. The recorded memos can be stored on a USB stick for use outside the car.

The navigation system now allows additional menu functions to be called up through simplified voice commands. The system is able to recognize contact data irrespective of the format in which it is stored, and thus independently of first name and surname order. Additional submenu functions can now be activated or actions specified by speech input – from adjusting the radio and entering a destination to changing the route criteria. Voice control is becoming even easier to use.

Rounding off the new office functions is the enhanced facility for simultaneously pairing two phones to the car at the same time. The contact data of both phones are now transferred to a shared list which is then available for making phone calls and sending emails. High-performance hardware means that calendar and contact information is displayed without delay, ensuring that both telephones are quickly ready for wide-ranging use in the vehicle.

Name:  P90117694-highRes.jpg
Views: 11824
Size:  84.1 KB

Name:  P90117695-highRes.jpg
Views: 9959
Size:  84.5 KB

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

"Will be instantly recognazible both inside and out"

Hmm..for some reason i dont think so
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Cl0ud7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post

+1000
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nice.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Pics of the new nav setup?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I'm not usually a fan of the cosmetic packages, but I rather like this one also i like the auto rev match on the 6mt, if I had that on my car I would deny it and tell my gf I'm just really good haha
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Would like my seats in frozen leather too. Thanks. Also, pics/videos of the new nav would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

I didn't know the MT had auto rev matching available!
That's awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Rev-matching manual has been in a nissan for over 6 years. Would hardly say its too "awesome" and more like about time
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Some really good updates
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

The ceramic brakes will be good for all the 6 Series owners when they do a track day.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Gzav
Rep
Drives: BMW

Frozen brilliant... Sounds strange
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
gokudo_90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Isnt the new nav 609? Which production will it start? Is 609 upgradeable to the 4.2? Aaah so many Q's
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
I also love the idea of rev-matching downshifts on a MT with the option of disabling it in Sport+. Great idea!!
      03-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Here's the color on my M3, for reference. Not sure I love it on this 6er vert, tho.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Love BMW's engineering team and their commitment to manual transmissions. Sadly I think this is the last 6er to have this. And yes rev match is awesome.
      03-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Love the MT addition! Not sure how many 6 series owners will take that option though.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #18
Erich2142
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Ducati 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post

Since its a frozen white, the interior will be made out of white ice or black ice, after all its frozen!

LOL