BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Harveyten
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 coupe

Delivery and first wash!

Finally after a couple of weeks after delivery, i have now had the opportunity to wash my car. It's also stopped raining which means i have managed to take the roof down.

My initial thoughts are the car feels very refined, the engine is absolutely fabulous with an exhaust note to match. It's no V8, but its very very good! with the exception of when the car is stationary you would never know its a diesel car.

The performance is completely differently to my previous car (535d M Sport) which is a pleasant surprise. Although i do have an extra 14bhp i believe it's more to do with the engine set up and torque. The Diesel engine suits my driving style and i get the best of both worlds economy and performance I managed to squeeze 450miles from the free tank of fuel provided by the dealer which included a combination of town, city and highway driving. The trip computer shows an average of 38mpg which is some way off the official 50mpg. I'm expecting this to improve as the miles increase. The eight speed gearbox is an absolute delight, but i feel the flappy paddles on the steering wheel are not really required for a diesel car with so much torque.

The Interior is a lovely place to be, the 640d m sport raises the bar compared to the 5 series and also the X5. I wish i had opted for the leather dash and contrast stitching. I find the seats very comfortable, but my only reservation are the headrest which are not as supportive as i would like. I'm sure this is addressed for you guys with comfort seats. The rear seats are good for children, both of mine are under 5 so no issues there however i have not been able to adjust the rear headrest

The brakes are fabulously strong, i particularly like the black callipers which are standard on the M Sport model. The ride quality is good, but it could be better, 20" wheels probably play a factor however i recently had a 640d loan car with 19" wheels and this was no different to my car.

I will need to be very careful with the 20" wheels, i have already managed to scrape both my wheels when leaving a multi-storey car park. I made a distressed call to my dealer as i was really annoyed as the car only had 70 miles on the clock. They were fantastic with the repairs, you would never know the wheels were damaged (see photo below)

I absolutely adore how the car looks with the M Sport package and the 20" wheels. I have had a number of white cars over the years and i thought i would never order another one, I wanted to order either blue or space grey as we already have an X5 in carbon Black, but i saw the white at the dealer and i fell in love with it, especially with the shadow line trim and black roof

The car gets a lot of attention, maybe a bit too much for my liking. In conclusion its an amazing car and I'm very pleased indeed. I waited three months for delivery and it was definitely worth it.

Enjoy the photos!
Attached Images

2014 M6 Coupe & 2013 X6 4.0d M Sport
Previous
2012 640d M Sport Convertible,2011-X5 4.0d M Sport,535d M Sport, 2010-M3,2009 335D M Sport, 2008 M3, 2006 X5 Le Mans, 2004 Z4 3.0, 323i first Luv
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Car looks beautiful! Congrats!

Regarding the headrests, you mentioned that you don't have the comfort seats. Over here we get the 20-way comfort as standard, and the headrests are more rectangular with wings that fold out for lateral support. Is this what the UK spec with comfort seats, or do the headrests look the same? Just curious.

I love the shadowline on the vert. Haven't seen many of these as there are few M Sport verts in general, and even fewer with shadowline as its currently not on the US cars.

Do the 640d vehicles in the UK have the full LED option? I can't recall ever seeing one with the LEDs. Maybe no one is getting them, but, again, I'm just curious.

BMW's do e some weird stuff with this car in different markets, so I'm just trying to figure it out - that's assuming there is some rhyme or reason behind it

Again, congrats on the car and enjoy! Glad to hear the diesel's performance is typical of petrol Bimmers. I'm getting about 11 US mpg from my 650xi, so I'm glad to know someone's looking out for the polar bears lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
RPB1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 Series 640d MSport

Wow! Envious now please hurry up with mine BMW before the summers over. Looks a million dollars

I went for the comfort seats and the 19" wheels - have you got the wind break do you need it at higher speeds?
      05-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Congrats Harvey, this car is a beauty. My dealer here in Oslo has an almost identical F12, and it struck me how aggressive it looks in white! Those M-wheels are the nicest in the complete BMW programme.
If I had ordered the F12 today I would definitely have checked out the diesel thoroughly before I made the decision!

I hope you'll get a nice and sunny summer in Britain, enjoying your car to the fullest
      05-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I love the 373M wheels. The only downside is that they're a PITA to clean. I'm coping with this... but my knees are going to need replacing by the time I'm 25...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Congrats! Looks great!
Enjoy the sunny days to the max
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Btw, beautiful house and backdrop
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
She is gorgeous, congrats!!!
      05-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
Harveyten
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 coupe

Thank you all for your comments, in particular to Southerner for your kind words.

Comfort seats in the UK is a c£800 option, I preferred the look of the std sport seats when I placed my order but now wondering if i made the right choice. LED lights are also an option c£1,700 but I have only seen them on demo cars. They look amazing but expensive, and they do not come as part of a package in the UK.

I agree BMW do some weird stuff! Not only between the different markets but also between the models. My 2010 M3 did not have the LED angel eyes yet they were fitted to ever other 3 series coupe... why does my 2011 X5 not have the all function for the heater controls in fact why have BMW removed the all function from the new 3 series F30 when they had it on the E90 and the list continues.....

RPB, the waiting will soon be over and it will be worth it when you finally get your car I'm assuming your car should be going into production anytime soon? Once built it should take upto three weeks to get to the dealer. Mine was sat at the port for over a week. The good news is the cars no longer go to Thorne if youre dealer is located in the southern half of the UK. It should get delivered to the dealer directly from BMW's DC in Southampton saving a few days travel time.

2014 M6 Coupe & 2013 X6 4.0d M Sport
Previous
2012 640d M Sport Convertible,2011-X5 4.0d M Sport,535d M Sport, 2010-M3,2009 335D M Sport, 2008 M3, 2006 X5 Le Mans, 2004 Z4 3.0, 323i first Luv
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #10
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

luv me sum m-sport

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0