BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

08-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #23
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
That's a whole lot of brand snobbery there. Regardless of what the badge on it says it's still an unbelievably good car.
Yes it is but it is a two seater , 4 wheel drive purpose built rocket, it's grunts and farts/ groans at normal speeds, is rock hard on the spine.
If thats what you want to drive round in then good luck, I do not.

PS) and on the road it makes no difference how fast it goes cos you can't use it anyway.
      08-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #24
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5
Quote:
That's a whole lot of brand snobbery there. Regardless of what the badge on it says it's still an unbelievably good car.
Yes it is but it is a two seater , 4 wheel drive purpose built rocket, it's grunts and farts/ groans at normal speeds, is rock hard on the spine.
If thats what you want to drive round in then good luck, I do not.

PS) and on the road it makes no difference how fast it goes cos you can't use it anyway.
I believe you're missing the point. My Gallardo was a harsh, growling, stiff seat, low visibility, bumpy ride sort of thing, but it was still a great weekend car, could I have justified only driving it 2x a month. The GTR is a great car as well for someone looking for a fast weekend coupe. It isn't a direct competitor to the M6, no one in their right mind should ever seriously consider it as a replacement or substitute, but it isn't half as harsh as you're describing it. Yes it's filled with plastic and a bit juvenile looking, but you're describing it's drivability to sound more like a 430 Scuderia (which despite being a piece of sheet metal strapped to a turbine is still a great car). It's a somewhat comfortable, extremely fast, mod friendly car, that handles better than most cars on the roads today. I wouldn't buy a GTR, I would prefer a 911 Turbo, but to dismiss it as "only a Nissan" is beyond ridiculous and makes people sound like they're more into badges than engines (I don't expect that from "car enthusiasts", that attitude is better left to gold digging chicks outside nightclubs). If people are going to dismiss the GTR as "just a Nissan" I wonder what they would have to say about the Ford GT40? Hopefully people are too smart to be dismissive about that as well.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #25
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I believe you're missing the point. My Gallardo was a harsh, growling, stiff seat, low visibility, bumpy ride sort of thing, but it was still a great weekend car, could I have justified only driving it 2x a month. The GTR is a great car as well for someone looking for a fast weekend coupe. It isn't a direct competitor to the M6, no one in their right mind should ever seriously consider it as a replacement or substitute, but it isn't half as harsh as you're describing it. Yes it's filled with plastic and a bit juvenile looking, but you're describing it's drivability to sound more like a 430 Scuderia (which despite being a piece of sheet metal strapped to a turbine is still a great car). It's a somewhat comfortable, extremely fast, mod friendly car, that handles better than most cars on the roads today. I wouldn't buy a GTR, I would prefer a 911 Turbo, but to dismiss it as "only a Nissan" is beyond ridiculous and makes people sound like they're more into badges than engines (I don't expect that from "car enthusiasts", that attitude is better left to gold digging chicks outside nightclubs). If people are going to dismiss the GTR as "just a Nissan" I wonder what they would have to say about the Ford GT40? Hopefully people are too smart to be dismissive about that as well.
For weekend use yes great car, for me as a daily no.
      08-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #26
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 F06

I don't know, I get intimidated when i see a GTR, it's such a sexy beast especially in black, and you never know what to expect from them. Interior is not even CLOSE though
      08-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #27
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartian777
I don't know, I get intimidated when i see a GTR, it's such a sexy beast especially in black, and you never know what to expect from them. Interior is not even CLOSE though
I have a ton of respect for that car too. Specially cause it's not hard to tune them past 1,000hp. It's rare to find one stock.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #28
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Well said... I do love the sensation a GTR itsa monster!.. :P I actually find the interior of the GTR fine for a supercar .

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #29
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC444 View Post
Who cares really..
After all the GTR is and always will be just a Nissan.

End of story.
Although this is a true statement, there is a lot of history that follows with the GTR, in Japan it's earned it's right to be self proclaimed "Godzilla" because it is an absolute monster... Fortunately enough I have a friend who has both a tastefully modded M6 GC and a stage 2.5(?) GTR pushing well over 615whp, and although the GTR doesn't come close to the luxury features a BMW has to offer, it's still a freak on the track or streets... I mean let's face it, as kids growing up playing Grand Tourismo on Playstation, we've all wanted one at one point in time... I still till this day want an R33 or R34 GTR spec-v... Personally I wish Nissan stuck with the straight six platform such as the RB26/28, because I think V6's sound like garbage.
      08-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #30
JoeyLeeBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW ///M6 Alpine White

Garage List
Rolling start I eat all GTR's alive fully modded with bolt ons + the ones on E85

Only if they have a turbo upgrade they would pull away but if not, I'll always take them.

2014 BMW ///M6 Coupe "Competition Package" CLICK: Intro Thread Pictures

l Vorsteiner CA Demo Car l Toyo Tires l Trinity Autosport l Targa Trophy l Shift S3ctor
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #31
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyLeeBMW View Post
Rolling start I eat all GTR's alive fully modded with bolt ons + the ones on E85

Only if they have a turbo upgrade they would pull away but if not, I'll always take them.
The guys here run their GTR's @ 700+ BHP, you would not stand a chance rolling or not.
      08-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #32
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
The guys here run their GTR's @ 700+ BHP, you would not stand a chance rolling or not.
^This...

Even my buddy that owns a modded M6 GC with just a downpipe and intake, against his own stage 2 GTR, we pitted them against each other and the GTR took it in every single scenario possible? Unless quite possibly it was matched against let's say a factory freak M6...?

-EDIT-

Several nights before we dyno'ed both cars and the M6 GC I believe only made 489whp whereas his GTR made 617whp... I don't see how any M5/M6 would stand a chance against a stage 2 GTR...?
      08-27-2014, 04:28 AM   #33
MC444
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6 GC SG

Seriously History!!!!!!!!!

Theres no history in Nissans , or style or prestige or build quality or any of the many other features found in European cars.

The GTR may be fast but that's where it ends. Why do all the Jap brands try to be European?? Really the GTR and its peers will never be in the same class as Euros.

At least the Americans don't try to be European.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
Although this is a true statement, there is a lot of history that follows with the GTR, in Japan it's earned it's right to be self proclaimed "Godzilla" because it is an absolute monster... Fortunately enough I have a friend who has both a tastefully modded M6 GC and a stage 2.5(?) GTR pushing well over 615whp, and although the GTR doesn't come close to the luxury features a BMW has to offer, it's still a freak on the track or streets... I mean let's face it, as kids growing up playing Grand Tourismo on Playstation, we've all wanted one at one point in time... I still till this day want an R33 or R34 GTR spec-v... Personally I wish Nissan stuck with the straight six platform such as the RB26/28, because I think V6's sound like garbage.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #34
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
^This...

Even my buddy that owns a modded M6 GC with just a downpipe and intake, against his own stage 2 GTR, we pitted them against each other and the GTR took it in every single scenario possible? Unless quite possibly it was matched against let's say a factory freak M6...?

-EDIT-

Several nights before we dyno'ed both cars and the M6 GC I believe only made 489whp whereas his GTR made 617whp... I don't see how any M5/M6 would stand a chance against a stage 2 GTR...?
Maybe your friend should have his car inspected!
There are tons of S63tu dyno's result all over the place. I have never heard anybody claimed 489 whp for M5/M6!
This one that looks more reliable one indicates 527HP... I have seen 540+ HP for stock cars!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #35
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC444
Seriously History!!!!!!!!!

Theres no history in Nissans , or style or prestige or build quality or any of the many other features found in European cars.

The GTR may be fast but that's where it ends. Why do all the Jap brands try to be European?? Really the GTR and its peers will never be in the same class as Euros.

At least the Americans don't try to be European.....

Quote:
Sorry, but your are absolutely incorrect in this statement. There is a lot of history behind the GTR, dating back to 1957. That's one and a half decades before BMW M GmbH was even founded. Seriously don't understand the need of some people to be dismissive towards the GTR, really shows a lack of automotive knowledge and an excess in brand snobbery. Just a great car, regardless of what badge is on it, period. It's as if we were saying the M6 is only as good as the badge on its hood, which is not the case. Had I been buying the badge on the hood instead of the actual car, at $120k+ (before mods) I would have bought an Italian or English grand tourer.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #36
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry, but your are absolutely incorrect in this statement. There is a lot of history behind the GTR, dating back to 1957. That's one and a half decades before BMW M GmbH was even founded. Seriously don't understand the need of some people to be dismissive towards the GTR, really shows a lack of automotive knowledge and an excess in brand snobbery. Just a great car, regardless of what badge is on it, period. It's as if we were saying the M6 is only as good as the badge on its hood, which is not the case. Had I been buying the badge on the hood instead of the actual car, at $120k+ (before mods) I would have bought an Italian or English grand tourer.
^Truth...

Why are people biased towards different brands here? Nissan/Datsun has developed phenomenal vehicles...
      08-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #37
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
I think the GTR is an incredible car. It's a performance monster.

For me, however, I want a car that is much more versatile. One that is ridiculously fast, beautiful, luxurious and turns heads.

To me, the M6 covers all of those.

So, when a GTR pulls up, revs and makes a big show of it.....I just smile. No need to unzip the pants and "whip it out". I have nothing to prove.

I'd rather keep it classy and better the reputation of BMW drivers.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #38
MC444
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If the Datsun is such a great car why don't you drive one ??
Seriously boys before you reply with your defensive rants read what is posted and understand the context.
Google 1957 Datsun and see the history ... 
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #39
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If I could find a '71 510 Bluebird in even the mildest condition I'd totally jump on it, and I'd probably throw in an SR20DET or RB26/28 motor in it.
      08-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #40
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Seriously boys before you reply with your defensive rants read what is posted and understand the context.
Google 1957 Datsun and see the history ... 
I seriously had no idea we are supposed to drive every car we consider to be "great". Guess I need to start looking for a GTR now, and about 100 other cars while I'm at it. We really do understand the context here, and that is that only cars with certain origins, wearing certain badges, are worth even looking at, everything else needs to be dismissed on the basis of lack of "prestige" and whatnot, at least according to you. And here I was thinking cars deserved merit on things such as how good they actually are on the road, and how good those mechanical bits like the engine and the rest of the crap hidden below the body panels are, I forget what they're called. I stand corrected, apparently all I need to know is where it was made and what badge it wears. Funny thing is those that know me personally would be surprised I'm taking this stand since every single daily driver or weekend car I've ever owned has been either german or italian, yet I find it pointless to take such an elitist and superficial approach for judging cars. Guess its because with time I've learned to see them for what they truly are, amazing machines, not symbols of status.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #41
MC444
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I seriously had no idea we are supposed to drive every car we consider to be "great". Guess I need to start looking for a GTR now, and about 100 other cars while I'm at it. We really do understand the context here, and that is that only cars with certain origins, wearing certain badges, are worth even looking at, everything else needs to be dismissed on the basis of lack of "prestige" and whatnot, at least according to you. And here I was thinking cars deserved merit on things such as how good they actually are on the road, and how good those mechanical bits like the engine and the rest of the crap hidden below the body panels are, I forget what they're called. I stand corrected, apparently all I need to know is where it was made and what badge it wears. Funny thing is those that know me personally would be surprised I'm taking this stand since every single daily driver or weekend car I've ever owned has been either german or italian, yet I find it pointless to take such an elitist and superficial approach for judging cars. Guess its because with time I've learned to see them for what they truly are, amazing machines, not symbols of status.
Genius...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #42
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Guess its because with time I've learned to see them for what they truly are, amazing machines, not symbols of status.
I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but simply to give credit where credit is due... I work for BMW, and absolutely love the brand, even as a Mercedes Benz employee or a Lexus technician, I've always loved BMW's, but let's be honest... Can an M5/M6 accomplish the records and numbers a fully modded GTR can?

AMS GTR is out of this world..... Understanding of course a lot of time and money was put into it, but given that tuners can't even crack the F10/F12/F13 M5/M6 dual DME leaves everything in question, and I may be going completely out of context but what's been proven to be an absolute monster, is well the GTR...
      08-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #43
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but simply to give credit where credit is due... I work for BMW, and absolutely love the brand, even as a Mercedes Benz employee or a Lexus technician, I've always loved BMW's, but let's be honest... Can an M5/M6 accomplish the records and numbers a fully modded GTR can?

AMS GTR is out of this world..... Understanding of course a lot of time and money was put into it, but given that tuners can't even crack the F10/F12/F13 M5/M6 dual DME leaves everything in question, and I may be going completely out of context but what's been proven to be an absolute monster, is well the GTR...
That's insane.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #44
MC444
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Take it offline fanboys ....
Appreciate 0