BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #23
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Thanks! I'll give it a go, I hate ASD!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #24
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
the enhanced sound effect thing from the speakers... I thought our M6s didn't have it as where the M5s did. I'm considering the Turner muffler delete and would like to know if the ASD thing is easy to disable.
M6Coupe did the ASD disable on my car in about 3 minutes. Night and day difference with the Turner race exhaust. I'm leaving the ASD off.
Appreciate 2
      06-08-2015, 02:13 AM   #25
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
M6Coupe did the ASD disable on my car in about 3 minutes. Night and day difference with the Turner race exhaust. I'm leaving the ASD off.
awesome, I'm also planning on getting the Turner muffler delete. I guess I know what to do after. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #26
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
awesome, I'm also planning on getting the Turner muffler delete. I guess I know what to do after. Thanks!
The interior noise level could pass for an MBZ now. I'll have to run this a bit more to see if it's something I prefer.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #27
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Quote:
The interior noise level could pass for an MBZ now. I'll have to run this a bit more to see if it's something I prefer.
I can't believe you have a race exhaust and it's really that quiet inside. Is this in M Mode, just normal mode, or does it matter?

I need to get this done on my car. I wish I knew how to disconnect the lining at the seat release - do you coupe drivers not have that feature on your cars? That and the clip up by the hinge are what's stopping me. I love being able to fold the rear seats down but right now wish they had put that release somewhere else in the trunk, or put that ASD somewhere else - like in the trunk floor pan. Guess I'll have to wait for my next trip to the spa (dealership).

Some of the time mine is way too noisy inside for my tastes. Sure, there are times I feel like some sporty driving and love the exhaust sound. I put it in M1 or M2 mode to do that. But there are many others when I would like to be able to have a conversation with the people in the car or just cruise and listen to some nice music. My wife has a soft voice and she's hard to hear a lot of the time. She also has some hearing loss and my boys and I almost need to shout for her to hear us. It seems like it's been worse since I got the M6. And to be honest, I'm probably suffering from a bit of that too. As much electronic stuff as they have put on this car you would think they could have made it so you could control some of this stuff - like another option in M Mode.

Does anyone know what the ASD strategy is? I am wondering about the conditions that trigger when and how much it is used - M modes only, M1 mode only, slightly in the M2 mode and full bore in M1, not at all when not in M mode or all the time no matter what driving modes are selected. I've noticed that there are times when the exhaust note is really loud inside the car and others when it's not so pronounced. I haven't been able to pin it down myself. I've not got too many miles on the car and have not had much time to do much experimenting. Plus, usually when I'm accelerating it's to merge in traffic or get around somebody and there's a lot of other stuff to pay attention to. Maybe after I have a few more miles on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #28
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chask View Post
I can't believe you have a race exhaust and it's really that quiet inside. Is this in M Mode, just normal mode, or does it matter?
Doesn't matter. The M6 is a big GT and has good insulation and isolation. The ASD is artificial aural gratification

Quote:
Does anyone know what the ASD strategy is?
Nope. Might want to ask a BMW wonk this question...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #29
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
. . .
I thought that is what I was doing. Or am I in the wrong place?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #30
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Only if you want 21" flourescent red rims, a 4" drop, 900 RWHP, and an $8k exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #31
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Does anyone know what the ASD strategy is?
This is the article from BMWBLOG at the time M5 came out. Can be applied to all M cars....It's all about DSP (Digital Signal processing)

Active Sound Design delivers precise feedback.

M5 drivers will be given an even more direct reminder of their car’s performance capability by technology that brings the distinctive sound of the high-performance V8 – in all its glory – into the cabin of the new BMW M5.

The Active Sound Design technology specially developed for the new BMW M5 takes its cues from the driving situation at any one time to deliver an accurate reproduction of the engine’s sound through the car’s audio system.

The system’s digital signal processing exchanges data directly with the engine management, allowing it to reflect the engine’s revs and torque, and the car’s speed over the road. The result over a smoothly driven journey is a discreet soundtrack in keeping with the harmonious and assured characteristics of the V8 powerplant. A stamp on the accelerator, meanwhile, prompts an immediate audible response to match the instantaneous – and typically M – burst of power from beneath the bonnet.

In generating its signals, Active Sound Design takes its cues from the firing sequence of the eight-cylinder engine and the frequency range of the exhaust system. This gives the driver an extremely accurate impression of current engine load and an even more intense sensation of the V8’s high-performance characteristics. At the same time the Active Sound Design control unit ensures an even spread of sound across all five seats of the new BMW M5, while observing the legal guidelines governing noise emissions inside and outside the car. The characteristics of the sound produced by the technology also adjust to the engine settings selected by the driver. For example, switching to “Sport” or “Sport+” mode sharpens not only the engine’s responsiveness but also the acoustic experience inside the car.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/09/23/ac...nto-the-cabin/
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #32
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
In generating its signals, Active Sound Design takes its cues from the firing sequence of the eight-cylinder engine and the frequency range of the exhaust system. This gives the driver an extremely accurate impression of current engine load and an even more intense sensation of the V8’s high-performance characteristics. At the same time the Active Sound Design control unit ensures an even spread of sound across all five seats of the new BMW M5, while observing the legal guidelines governing noise emissions inside and outside the car. The characteristics of the sound produced by the technology also adjust to the engine settings selected by the driver. For example, switching to “Sport” or “Sport+” mode sharpens not only the engine’s responsiveness but also the acoustic experience inside the car.
Interesting. I wish we had the option to choose, through the iDrive, the sound of an F12 Ferrari, Maybach, or a Ford Mustang GT350

In all seriousness, there should be an option to defeat ASD similar to the option to defeat the auto start stop function.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #33
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
. . .
Quote:
Quote:
Only if you want 21" flourescent red rims, a 4" drop, 900 RWHP, and an $8k exhaust
Well, 2 out of 4 ain't bad, and I already have the last one. Guess what my other one would be.
And if I could double the difference between the stock spec and my other one, I'd gladly do the other two to my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
This is the article from BMWBLOG at the time M5 came out. Can be applied to all M cars....It's all about DSP (Digital Signal processing)

Active Sound Design delivers precise feedback.

M5 drivers will be given an even more direct reminder of their car’s performance capability by technology that brings the distinctive sound of the high-performance V8 – in all its glory – into the cabin of the new BMW M5.

The Active Sound Design technology specially developed for the new BMW M5 takes its cues from the driving situation at any one time to deliver an accurate reproduction of the engine’s sound through the car’s audio system.

The system’s digital signal processing exchanges data directly with the engine management, allowing it to reflect the engine’s revs and torque, and the car’s speed over the road. The result over a smoothly driven journey is a discreet soundtrack in keeping with the harmonious and assured characteristics of the V8 powerplant. A stamp on the accelerator, meanwhile, prompts an immediate audible response to match the instantaneous – and typically M – burst of power from beneath the bonnet.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/09/23/ac...nto-the-cabin/
It's sure nice to know there's another wonky-ite or wonky-lite here besides me. Thanks M6-Coupe!! Hope I can reciprocate sometime soon.

I sort of figured it had to be like this. In looking at the other systems on the car it seems like the engineers were given free reign to run amok, adding all sorts of complexity and really cool features to the car. I know 40 years ago we dreamed of having the kind of controls on the engines that they have put on the S63TU. Heck, just having one of those features would have had us drooling. Reading the training manual http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803495 had me picking my chin up off the floor about every page or two. You all have no idea how primitive things used to be and how dramatically these changes translate into improved drivability, performance and economy.

Last edited by chask; 06-12-2015 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: http link failure
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #34
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I wish we had the option to choose, through the iDrive, the sound of an F12 Ferrari, Maybach, or a Ford Mustang GT350

In all seriousness, there should be an option to defeat ASD similar to the option to defeat the auto start stop function.
I'm with you on all of those, serious or not, and especially the ability to turn it off.

Heck, even a volume control would be nice; in other words, they are mixing the two sounds together, why not give us the ability to turn the amount of sound down to the degree we wanted? Kind of like a front/rear fader control.

I had a S65 at one point (isn't that the same as a Maybach, same engine anyway?). I think I'd rather have a Ferrari sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #35
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC BSM/SO

Quote:
the enhanced sound effect thing from the speakers... I thought our M6s didn't have it as where the M5s did. I'm considering the Turner muffler delete and would like to know if the ASD thing is easy to disable.
Did you ever actually find the ASD module in your M6GC? I have my trunk taken apart....and cannot find it!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #36
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
I used Carly (iPhone app) to disable it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #37
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep

Did you get any kind of CEL or other error code on dash? I have carly...and was going to do that but was concerned it would fire a code.....
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #38
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
No errors, just no stupid false noises. It's plenty loud enough for me if I just open the window with the Competition Pack exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #39
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep

I bet it does. And for everyone else... I found the ASD module in my M6GC. It is on the "roof" of the trunk area, on the left side, under a black plastic cover. So if you open the trunk, get your head in there and look up under the rear package tray it is there. I cannot get pictures to upload... but it is NOT under the left side carpet like the M5 and M6 Coupe. Not sure why, but I tore that all apart and could not find it.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      11-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #40
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcoll View Post
I bet it does. And for everyone else... I found the ASD module in my M6GC. It is on the "roof" of the trunk area, on the left side, under a black plastic cover. So if you open the trunk, get your head in there and look up under the rear package tray it is there. I cannot get pictures to upload... but it is NOT under the left side carpet like the M5 and M6 Coupe. Not sure why, but I tore that all apart and could not find it.
2 questions:

1. can you confirm that on the GC, the plug still looks like the one shown on the left in this pic?

2. since you went thru the trouble of ripping apart the carpet, did you find any interesting things left from prior owner? Cocaine? Money?
      11-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #41
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep

Yes that is the plug.... and fortunately (or unfortunately) no...no contraband or cash.... It felt like a journey to the center of the earth however.....but I am a very impatient person if that did not come through clearly in my posts!

BTW...the ASD Module is literally IN PLAIN SIGHT......when you learn where it is it'll be like that "where's Waldo" picture that you can't unsee Waldo......
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      11-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #42
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcoll View Post
Yes that is the plug.... and fortunately (or unfortunately) no...no contraband or cash.... It felt like a journey to the center of the earth however.....but I am a very impatient person if that did not come through clearly in my posts!

BTW...the ASD Module is literally IN PLAIN SIGHT......when you learn where it is it'll be like that "where's Waldo" picture that you can't unsee Waldo......
Thanks for the confirm, anything I need to be aware of before I start yanking? Is it a connector with a push tab? A flip switch?

Legit question btw, I once fucked up my M3's EDC button tray bc I pulled the wrong connector. Now I'm super careful when I'm pulling connectors out of BMWs to triple check how the connect/plug head interfaces with the receiving end.

And btw, where's your photo? Is your cell phone broken?
      11-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #43
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep

Grrrr...photos.... cannot I make....

If you look at the underside of that plastic cover, there is a rearmost "hole" and inside that "hole" is a tab...you want to manipulate that tab to the "driver's side" and that releases the cover, pull it down gently and rotate it out of the hole in which the opposite tab is inserted.... I know....super cryptic, but I think when you see it all will be clear to you....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #44
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

I just unplugged the ASD this morning and drove to work and home. I have to say, the experience has changed now. It's a even more refined experience.

I have the Akra MPE, and while it still sounds good, it's not as loud anymore either.

I'm unsure how I like the ASD removal. On the one hand, I hate the idea of the ASD, but on the other hand, now I have a ride much more refined and removed than I think I'd like.

Undecided at this point. How I would characterize the difference is that it is no longer "boomy" inside.

I'm going to do the muffler flap mod today, do a few more days driving around and then make a decision whether I want to plug the ASD back in.