BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Jsd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Buying a used M6 2012 vs 2013/14

Hi guys

Im looking to get a used M6 but struggling to find one with the right spec, the only one i can see is a 2012 model. Aside from the obvious age and relative mileage is there anything else i should be aware of on the earlier models? Software differences or teething issues they had perhaps? £50k is no small sum for me but the last thing i want to do is get one and then wish i had held out for a slightly newer model.

any advice appreciated
J
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsd
Hi guys

Im looking to get a used M6 but struggling to find one with the right spec, the only one i can see is a 2012 model. Aside from the obvious age and relative mileage is there anything else i should be aware of on the earlier models? Software differences or teething issues they had perhaps? £50k is no small sum for me but the last thing i want to do is get one and then wish i had held out for a slightly newer model.

any advice appreciated
J
2012 was only convertible I believe. Coupe came out as a 2013 model. 2014 models introduced the new NBT iDrive with better graphics, faster response time, and new features like Siri integration. 2015 introduced the touchpad controller for the iDrive (this is retrofittable to 2014 models). 2016 was the facelift with new headlights and taillights, and the upgraded optional Competition Package. I recommend getting no older than 2014 at this point.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Rasputin8
Rep
Drives: M6 Coupe

The upgrade to iDrive with the MY14 cars is IMO worth holding out for a 2014. I came from a 650i with the previous gen iDrive and my M6 with NBT was significantly more responsive especially with NAV.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
michel lane
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

Software updates to 2015 made wonders to traction and the car feels more responsive . Also older 2012 cars have had problems with the gearbox software as I experienced. But a full software update fixes these issues and you get more mpg ! ..yahoooo.

Good luck on purchase . Great car and you won't be disappointed .
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
Jsd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Thanks for the input guys.

It was a toss up between newer car with lesser spec or older car with most of the extras i wanted apart from comp pack ( has full leather etc) so went with the 2012. If all goes well i should pick it up at the weekend.

The only question is...am i going to miss the v10 from the M5? If only i could keep both!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsd
Thanks for the input guys.

It was a toss up between newer car with lesser spec or older car with most of the extras i wanted apart from comp pack ( has full leather etc) so went with the 2012. If all goes well i should pick it up at the weekend.

The only question is...am i going to miss the v10 from the M5? If only i could keep both!
I had the E63 M6 (V10 and SMG) before the F13 M6 (TTV8 and DCT) and there was a lot I missed from the previous gen car. Overall the newer car is superior in almost every way. The DCT is much faster and responsive than the SMG but it also feels a lot more sterile and less exciting (nothing compares to the way the SMG slammed into gear and caused an earthquake inside the old car with every shift). The sound is also pathetic in the newer car even if you spend a fortune on exhausts and upgrades compared to the V10. The TTV8 is much faster than the V10 at any speed but to me when they were both in stock form the V10 "felt faster" (mostly cause of how violent the SMG transmission was). The newer car is much more comfortable, efficient, better equipped, and did I mention it's incredibly faster? It's also much easier to tune and squeeze power out of the TTV8 power plant. In a nutshell IMO: Newer Car = Better, Older Car = More Exciting.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
I had the E63 M6 (V10 and SMG) before the F13 M6 (TTV8 and DCT) and there was a lot I missed from the previous gen car. Overall the newer car is superior in almost every way. The DCT is much faster and responsive than the SMG but it also feels a lot more sterile and less exciting (nothing compares to the way the SMG slammed into gear and caused an earthquake inside the old car with every shift). The sound is also pathetic in the newer car even if you spend a fortune on exhausts and upgrades compared to the V10. The TTV8 is much faster than the V10 at any speed but to me when they were both in stock form the V10 "felt faster" (mostly cause of how violent the SMG transmission was). The newer car is much more comfortable, efficient, better equipped, and did I mention it's incredibly faster? It's also much easier to tune and squeeze power out of the TTV8 power plant. In a nutshell IMO: Newer Car = Better, Older Car = More Exciting.
+1

I do agree the V10 and SMG was a raw animal with amazing sound, even with the stock setup, and the violent shifts were epic!!! I too miss my 2007 M6 Cab as it was an amazing car in my opinion!

The next gen (2016 M6 Cab for me) has some very amazing and much needed technological and luxury advances ... But in stock format was missing the in person presence of the last gen V10 and SMG boxer attitude ... You had to learn how to use the SMG and you had to understand it or it would not respond well to what you wanted it to do AND WHEN YOU WANTED IT TO DO IT ... when my wife drove it the SMG never seemed to know which gear to be in which made rapid lane changes a little nerve racking if I was in the passenger seat ... Keep it in the happy scream high rev ranges and both the exhaust note and SMG were crazy animals that would put a smile on your face everytime:

But yes, you had to understand the wild animal that car was in order to enjoy the ride!

Still miss the 7000 rpm plus screams ... Just thinking about the sounds Still puts a shit eating grin on my face and childish giggle

New car is better in nearly every way in terms of refinement ... After down pipes and akra it also has attitude and presence ... But still miss the older one for its high rpm screams and raw animalistic presence of the SMG!

Last edited by 2007 to 2016 M6 Cab; 03-12-2016 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0