BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

Closed Thread

08-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #67
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca
You can have a good driving experience in a GT car, going fast on the motorway, or you can have a good driving experience on the track in a real sport car which I'm sure can't offer the best comfort as a DD.
Let's not mix the things so much.
On the other hand the price range should be limited somehow.
Can you go in the holiday with a Porsche GT3 or with a Panamera? With a SLS Black or with an E/ S/ CL AMG?
But why can't a car be good at both? It doesn't have to be perfect on the track or the road but its a combination of the 2 that can reveal a cars overall character.

The point also is clearly, money doesn't buy you sh*t anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #68
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg
Quote:
You can have a good driving experience in a GT car, going fast on the motorway, or you can have a good driving experience on the track in a real sport car which I'm sure can't offer the best comfort as a DD.
Can you go in the holiday with a Porsche GT3 or with a Panamera? With a SLS Black or with an E/ S/ CL AMG?
But why can't a car be good at both? It doesn't have to be perfect on the track or the road but its a combination of the 2 that can reveal a cars overall character.

Regardless what the "results" say, how many of you actually own or can afford a new M6? I bet half of the people who have responded to this thread don't actually own a M6. Own one, and then you can have an opinion. Until then, go away...
2013 BMW M6 Eisenmann Race(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #69
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Not so surprised by the review. Having cross shopped the M6 with the R8, C4S, and a couple of other cars I ultimately chose the R8. The M6 just didnt seem to scratch my itch like my previous M cars, and I've had a few. The thing that did bother about the on track review is that every driver has a style to their driving and most cars have a technique to drive them fast and not all cars can be driven the same way to get the most out of them. It didn't appear that Randy adjusted to M6 to get the most out of it like he did the other cars. Do I think he could have gotten more out of the car and enjoyed it, YES! Do I think the M6 is a driver's car, as MT defined "driver's car in the beginning of the combined video, NO. If BMW continues with the M6 in its line up, it should start marketing it against the likes of the AM Vanquish, Maserati GT, MB E-Class coupe, etc. Those are all GT cars and when comparing the M6 in that crowd based on performance value, the M6 wins hands down in my opinion. The issue is BMW markets the car as a sports car and it just doesn't compare as favorable given some of the other options on market. Its almost like BMWs are turning into German muscle cars, something that was clearly a MB identity of years pass. I really hope the M3/4 gets things back on track for the //M Boys...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #70
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmellion View Post
Regardless what the "results" say, how many of you actually own or can afford a new M6? I bet half of the people who have responded to this thread don't actually own a M6. Own one, and then you can have an opinion. Until then, go away...
I guess I don't count.

I only have a 13 M5 and 13 ZL1. What would I know.

Sorry for talking bad about ///M.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #71
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
It's all good, anyone can google the E90 M3 around the time of the intro and find reviews where they didn't like it. Hell, find someone that trashed it, then google them, and you can find where they contradict themselves. It's part of the game, and BMW is the target of the day.

Found this from Stance Works. It pretty much sums up my thoughts and is why I bought an M6 (on the boat, due to hit Baltimore Tuesday).
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #72
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
It's all good, anyone can google the E90 M3 around the time of the intro and find reviews where they didn't like it. Hell, find someone that trashed it, then google them, and you can find where they contradict themselves. It's part of the game, and BMW is the target of the day.

Found this from Stance Works. It pretty much sums up my thoughts and is why I bought an M6 (on the boat, due to hit Baltimore Tuesday).
Hopefully for you Pkilla breaks it in.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #73
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
Quote:
I guess I don't count.

Bottom line is all cars have compromises . The ZL1 comes from the factory with a track setup suspension , a massive LSD , and a 285 square tire setup, and a blown vette motor . The 60k dollars you pay for one is for this and it's a good performer because of it . On the other hand the interior is made of recycled garbage cans , the gauges are from a 80's caprice , and the throttle responsiveness is horrible . On top of that it is the worst build quality I have ever personally witnessed . On a brand new car straight of the lot , the sunroof would slide open every tune you hit the gas and the entire center console would pop out lol. For a 60k dollar car this is totally unacceptable for me . Also the torque management system was wayyyy to intrusive and with it off it would just light up the tires . All in all as a fun daily driver it was a total fail for me and my best friend who sold it after 1 week . Having actually driven both the Camaro and the M6 , the M6 destroys it in real world acceleration , has a better drivetrain , and still has one of the most beautiful interiors I've ever been in, as well as a fantastic exterior . The driving experience of the M6 is much more sporty and connected than the M5 as well , I've driven that too. FYI if you put a track alignment and square tires on the M6 it would destroy the completion on track , but would be a shitty daily driver . It excels as a luxury GT car that holds its own on track which is what it is .
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #74
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Bottom line is all cars have compromises . The ZL1 comes from the factory with a track setup suspension , a massive LSD , and a 285 square tire setup, and a blown vette motor . The 60k dollars you pay for one is for this and it's a good performer because of it . On the other hand the interior is made of recycled garbage cans , the gauges are from a 80's caprice , and the throttle responsiveness is horrible . On top of that it is the worst build quality I have ever personally witnessed . On a brand new car straight of the lot , the sunroof would slide open every tune you hit the gas and the entire center console would pop out lol. For a 60k dollar car this is totally unacceptable for me . Also the torque management system was wayyyy to intrusive and with it off it would just light up the tires . All in all as a fun daily driver it was a total fail for me and my best friend who sold it after 1 week . Having actually driven both the Camaro and the M6 , the M6 destroys it in real world acceleration , has a better drivetrain , and still has one of the most beautiful interiors I've ever been in, as well as a fantastic exterior . The driving experience of the M6 is much more sporty and connected than the M5 as well , I've driven that too. FYI if you put a track alignment and square tires on the M6 it would destroy the completion on track , but would be a shitty daily driver . It excels as a luxury GT car that holds its own on track which is what it is .
285 up front and 305 out back. You have some words spelled incorrectly. Your review just lost credibility.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #75
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmellion
Quote:
Quote:

So now we can't comment on a car till we own one. Nice.

Well whatever. I did consider buying an M6 prior to getting my M3 and my reasons for not getting it was the heavy weight and lack of sportscar feel.

Maybe it's just not a sportscar. What a waste though of tons of potential.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #76
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Excuse me for using an iPhone lol.
I apologize for not reporting the 305's though , should have had my coffee first.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #77
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmellion
Quote:
Quote:

Geez this is the most pretentious , dumbass statement I've ever heard . Please don't help us M lovers out thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #78
RiverRunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Well said! I don't think they "get it"... of why we buy and love our M6's.

I laughed at half these posts. I understand that some want the M's to be first a track car, then a street car, but when I had my '02 Z06 Vette, that car spanked the M3's of the same era regularly at the track. Why because the Vette was lighter and purpose built for track first, street second. I couldn't talk on my phone in that car, I couldn't take clients in that car, many wouldn't fit. My head hit the headliner and I'm a little taller than average, I couldn't drive that car in the rain and keep all for tires gripping the road, the glass was thinner than standard vettes, no sound proofing, manual trans only... IMHO, not a daily driver. If you hard core critics want the M6 to be more of a track car, open your pocket books, buy one and modify it. Lighten it up, remove the back see, hell, the passenger seat, radio, A/C, tune it, remove the restrictive exhaust components, and you'll have a loud, fast and still LARGE track car that you won't be able to use for business, drive clients in, probably won't be liked by anyone but you and other track guys, but guess what.. BMW won't build that car and sell it for $125k, because they'll lose their a$$ on it.
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo 991.2
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #79
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I apologize for not reporting the 305's though , should have had my coffee first.
It's all in fun. What a great country when we say our 600 hp cars suck. I love my baby America.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #80
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Thread is getting funny now.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #81
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Another disappointment for enthusiast drivers and fans.

Not only the regular BMW's are plagued with it. Now the M division is suffering from the same dilemma. This quote from the article sums up whats wrong with the newer generation cars from BMW

"The car felt numb and isolating, like there was always a barrier between you and the road."

Seems like the days of being "Ultimate driving machine" are in past. Nothing to cheer about or brag about since now the E9x M3's and 1M as well as E60 M5 are just a glimpse of past glory. Only one word sums it up "Disappointing"
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #82
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I guess I don't count.

Wasn't directing the comment at you specifically. Was just making a general statement. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #83
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Quote:
It's all in fun. What a great country when we say our 600 hp cars suck. I love my baby America.
+1. Its really about what makes you happy. Anyone that is seriously getting wrapped up in these articles is just bench racing. Buy the car that makes you happy and enjoy. If you can afford to buy any of these vehicles, you are not doing to shabby.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #84
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wasn't directing the comment at you specifically. Was just making a general statement. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I don't care. I'm just having fun. It's not that serious.
All of these car's performance means nothing without a proper driver behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #85
bmellion
Captain
United_States
Rep

And I love my M6! Sexxxxxxy!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #86
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdrmz View Post
Buy the car that makes you happy and enjoy.
And THAT is the bottom line. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #87
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

All of the posers who bought M5/M6s to cruise around and feel cool at car meets and then complained about the ride quality or fuel consumption of the V10 motor have no one but themselves to blame for this. M gmbh just built the car that its customers said they wanted and (I know from asking the dealerships around San Diego) and these cars are selling like hotcakes.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the M6 in its current form. I don't think there are too many serious drivers who buy such a huge coupe for carving canyons or track duty, the people that buy M6s want a fast, fun daily driver that can handle a couple hundred miles without beating up its driver and I think the F1x generation M cars are pretty great at that. The fact that this M6 filters out a lot of the things you would want to feel in a race car make it such a great daily driver. I know a few guys who buy these sort of big coupes and they all seem to love this new M6. I just hope the guys at M realize that the M2, M3, and M4 will be bought by a different type of driver and hopefully we'll see the F82 M4 closer to the top of next year's Best Driver's Car list.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #88
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
All of the posers who bought M5/M6s to cruise around and feel cool at car meets and then complained about the ride quality or fuel consumption of the V10 motor have no one but themselves to blame for this. M gmbh just built the car that its customers said they wanted and (I know from asking the dealerships around San Diego) and these cars are selling like hotcakes.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the M6 in its current form. I don't think there are too many serious drivers who buy such a huge coupe for carving canyons or track duty, the people that buy M6s want a fast, fun daily driver that can handle a couple hundred miles without beating up its driver and I think the F1x generation M cars are pretty great at that. The fact that this M6 filters out a lot of the things you would want to feel in a race car make it such a great daily driver. I know a few guys who buy these sort of big coupes and they all seem to love this new M6. I just hope the guys at M realize that the M2, M3, and M4 will be bought by a different type of driver and hopefully we'll see the F82 M4 closer to the top of next year's Best Driver's Car list.
+1

As long as the talk from BMW has included the 1, 2 and 4 series, this has been the plan, and this talk started shortly before the F1x was introduced. Pretty much up to BMW now to follow through in a manner that meets the expectations of their customers.

There are a lot of people that are emotionally attached to owning a 5 or 6 series, M or not. That their series is undergoing such a significant change overshadows what has come in the 1 series, and what is coming in the 2 and 4 series.

If you want to look you can see that at some tracks, very tight and twisty, that the 1M turns in better times that current M5's and M6's. Not a lot of tracks but it should appeal to those waiting to see what comes next.

When I was out of college all I wanted was an M635 CSi. When I could afford one, the E6x line was current and I wasn't impressed by the daily driving aspect of any of them. Great cars, but didn't like the look, wasn't interested in the SMG in the city or the possibility of a bent frame, lacking in comfort, .....

I'm pretty happy with BMW right now, I think a year from now so will a lot of others.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread