BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
serpico1
Rep
Drives: ???

Advice on buying new M6 GC please....

Hi, I am new to forum and to BMW. I own a 997.2 GT3 which i love. Im looking for a daily driver that is epic! Fell in love with the M6 GC looks and performance numbers which are out of this world scary. Love the practicality of 4 doors daily driver super car. I have a few questions and appreciate any insights from the group.

Color questions. Im a silver guy and saw the frozen silver of the launch cars in Detroit and ny auto shows. I know its an extra option. Is it $3600 or $5000? If i didn't get frozen i would opt for silverstone but its just as stunning as frozen silver. It just looks more special in frozen to me subjective of course. Is the frozen difficult to maintain? Can I put a clearbra on Frozen Silver as i did my GT3 to protect it from rock chips, etc.?

Interior question...again subjective but please chime in. Im between all black(classic but predictable) or silverstone (white) seats. Both would be with carbon fiber. White is elegant and different from any other interior ive had. My plan is to order with zero options or just maybe the B and O as I love my R and R. Thanks in advance for any comments and insights.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
ice7
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M's

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Welcome to the forum. Excellent choice in deciding with a M6GC. The M6GC is definitely a beauty and to me the best looking sedan in the road right now. IMO, for the interior, if its your daily I would go with black since white is a pain to keep clean. My M6 has the individual platinum leather and I am overly cautious about keeping it clean. I'm anal and it tends to get dirty but its my weekend car. I clean it up using leather masters. As far as the B&O sound, if you are a sound guy, go for it! To me its a night and day difference, on my M5 its the stock setup and my M6 has the B&O. I enjoy listening to the M6 a lot more plus the speaker grills and lights on the B&O brings out the luxury appeal to a different level on the M's.

Check out these 2 links for care on the frozen paint. Yes, you can put a clear bra on frozen paint.
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=frozen
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=frozen
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Welcome to the forum. As for your questions, I would double check with a shop on the ClearBra, as I have one on the front of my car and have always wondered how the material, which is somewhat glossy like a clearcoat, would look on a matte finish.

For the interior, black is your friend on a daily driver. Dirt and blue jeans will ruin the Silverstone interior with time unless you spend about as much time on maintaining the leather as you do driving the car.

As for the B&O I'll have to say I disagree with the previous post. I'm a producer/audio engineer, sound is what I do on a day-to-day and I have to say I sadly found the B&O (which I usually love) to be a waste of money. The stock sound system is very good on these cars, my only gripe being the drop in bass response incurred as you turn up the volume, but this is a feature most car manufacturers use to protect the speakers from damage. The B&O seems to suffer from a bit less bass drop-off as the volume rises, it also has a somewhat more even sound distribution through the cabin, but the overall difference in sonic quality throughout the frequency spectrum is minimal at best, as a $3,000+ it is definitely no worth it and falls short as the "hi-fi" option. I would recommend you opt for another more useful option like the competition or executive package. Anyways, good luck, and keep us posted on your hunt for your new beast.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

To me, Black interior and no B&O. If you want to pay extra money for options, I would say executive package and 20" wheels. another option is Full Merino leather that makes the interior fantastic. If you want to spend more money and you are looking for performance, you would go for competition pasckage.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
Welcome to the forum. As for your questions, I would double check with a shop on the ClearBra, as I have one on the front of my car and have always wondered how the material, which is somewhat glossy like a clearcoat, would look on a matte finish.

For the interior, black is your friend on a daily driver. Dirt and blue jeans will ruin the Silverstone interior with time unless you spend about as much time on maintaining the leather as you do driving the car.

As for the B&O I'll have to say I disagree with the previous post. I'm a producer/audio engineer, sound is what I do on a day-to-day and I have to say I sadly found the B&O (which I usually love) to be a waste of money. The stock sound system is very good on these cars, my only gripe being the drop in bass response incurred as you turn up the volume, but this is a feature most car manufacturers use to protect the speakers from damage. The B&O seems to suffer from a bit less bass drop-off as the volume rises, it also has a somewhat more even sound distribution through the cabin, but the overall difference in sonic quality throughout the frequency spectrum is minimal at best, as a $3,000+ it is definitely no worth it and falls short as the "hi-fi" option. I would recommend you opt for another more useful option like the competition or executive package. Anyways, good luck, and keep us posted on your hunt for your new beast.
I agree on your assessment of the B&O sound. In addition I saw a car audio shop pull it apart and the drivers/amp are not any different than the standard stereo. In other words the speakers are all B&O but behind the scenes buried in the trunk its not B&O hardware. I would spend the money on exec package for sure.
      04-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
serpico1
Rep

Thanks for the reply's and a couple more questions..

Gents,

Really appreciate the insights and the welcome to the forum.
Always loved Bimmers and after I ticked off my GT3 from my bucket list I always wanted to add a BMW M model to my stable.

So for the last couple of hours I have been reading quite a bit and together with your comments had an epiphany.

Color-I will not go with Frozen. Am going with Silverstone Metallic exterior which is a beautiful silver. My thought is if I want to ever go matte I can pay $3000 and have it wrapped. As I said I love the white contrast with black in the cockpit but agree, all black is classic , easy and carefree. I am anal too and would obsess about getting the seats dirty or ruining them, so white is out.

Now to options. As I said the only option I really think I would consider (in general I order cars with little or zero options), would be the B & O stereo but in reading a lot more about it I may skip it.

Aftermarket I could put in a scary system with Alpine head unit, Infinity Kappa Perfect separate's up front and 6 1/2's in back with 2 separate Focal amps driving them and it would be amazing. But...but..do I really want to "open her up" and install all that tech aftermarket? I just don't know. I am so obsessive, I would hate to take a chance on something happening, even if the installer has done it a thousand times. Something to think about I guess.

Well, thanks again for the insights. I look forward to participating in this forum more often now.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
acracr
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I had the opportunity to listen to the HK System, the mid-price Sound option here in Germany, in a current M5. I found it sounded quite well and with all the driving noise I doubt the B and O ist that much better. Things may be different in a very quite car like the 7 series.

My M6 GC will be delivered on May 30th at the BMW Welt. I went for the frozen silver. I had silverstone some years ago on a M5 E39 and it looked great. Now I wanted something different. For the interior I went for Opal White which has nice contrast stiching compared to silverstone. Looking at Pictures here in the Forum I found out that even with full leather the lateral parts of the back of the front seats are black and may not even be leather covered, while they are in the seat color with individual leather. The cost for both ist the same in Germany, so individual seems to be the better choice.

After having driven a fully equiped 2014 M5 I can say that the competition package is nice, although have not driven a car without it. I also went for the carbon ceramic brakes because you break a lot if you drive fast on the Autobahn with workday traffic,
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico1 View Post
Gents,

Really appreciate the insights and the welcome to the forum.
Always loved Bimmers and after I ticked off my GT3 from my bucket list I always wanted to add a BMW M model to my stable.

So for the last couple of hours I have been reading quite a bit and together with your comments had an epiphany.

Color-I will not go with Frozen. Am going with Silverstone Metallic exterior which is a beautiful silver. My thought is if I want to ever go matte I can pay $3000 and have it wrapped. As I said I love the white contrast with black in the cockpit but agree, all black is classic , easy and carefree. I am anal too and would obsess about getting the seats dirty or ruining them, so white is out.

Now to options. As I said the only option I really think I would consider (in general I order cars with little or zero options), would be the B & O stereo but in reading a lot more about it I may skip it.

Aftermarket I could put in a scary system with Alpine head unit, Infinity Kappa Perfect separate's up front and 6 1/2's in back with 2 separate Focal amps driving them and it would be amazing. But...but..do I really want to "open her up" and install all that tech aftermarket? I just don't know. I am so obsessive, I would hate to take a chance on something happening, even if the installer has done it a thousand times. Something to think about I guess.

Well, thanks again for the insights. I look forward to participating in this forum more often now.
Welcome...As far as putting a system in on your own I say go for it. You would be surprised... these cars look solidly put together and they are but everything usually just pops off so you don't have to worry about fit and finish afterward as long as you take your car to a reputable shop.

Last edited by Hunter5179; 04-15-2014 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
no B&O.
I completely disagree.

The Bang & Olufsen system is an absolute necessity. Spend a minute listening to it alone with your own music before you make a decision on this.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
no B&O.
I completely disagree.

The Bang & Olufsen system is an absolute necessity. Spend a minute listening to it alone with your own music before you make a decision on this.
I have, it's not worth it. I have a full B&O setup in my mancave, and I absolutely love it. Being an audio engineer I have acquired a huge amount of respect for B&O's craftsmanship, but I can't help to feel that their system for BMW is their poorest showing yet. Granted, some of this is due to the fact that the stock system is plenty good to begin with, but in the previous generation M6 the Premium sound option was so much better than the stock system. I used some of my own productions as reference material and found my own mixes to be as accurate in the stock system as they were on the B&O. With the B&O the only true advantage I could find was better in-cabin sound distribution. In terms of sonic fidelity, they're both ok systems at best.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
serpico1
Rep

Couple more questions....

Porsche comes out with a GT3 variant every 2 years or so after the last.

Will a new variant of the M6 GC come out in 2015 as a 2016 MY? Do they change body types dramatically when they do?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico1
Porsche comes out with a GT3 variant every 2 years or so after the last.

Will a new variant of the M6 GC come out in 2015 as a 2016 MY? Do they change body types dramatically when they do?

Thanks again
BMW usually does an LCI update during the midpoint of the model's life cycle. This usually involves minor cosmetic updates to things like the headlights. Last generation M6 got new headlights and a minor redesign to the trunk during its LCI. Expect something among those lines for the current generation M6. Some point to 2015 with a MY2016 as the date for the M6's LCI. However, this generation M6 should continue in it's current overall form for a few more years. Last gen was introduced in 2005 as a MY2006 and continued in production until late 2010, after a 2 year hiatus, the current gen was introduced early 2012 in its convertible form, so the current M6 should be available until at least late 2016 or early 2017 with a completely redesigned model available sometime in 2018 or 2019.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #13
mr-karim
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 (Fully Modded)

Quote:

Agreed, I have B&O it's ok but not worth 6k. My car came with it, I don't mind it

"The best things in life are free. The second best are very expensive." - Coco Chanel.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #14
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

B&O sounds fine, but I agree, I would get the full merino leather before B&O.

Just curious… I think you are making the right decision…. but why didn't you consider the Panamera?

Curious is all. You will be very happy with the M6 IMO

20" ADV.1 5.0 MV1SL with Pirelli Pzero's
Custom Painted Grill, side markers and tinted front reflectors, Dinan Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #15
diononiz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab

I would highly recommend the exec package as I believe it comes with the HUD which I really like. it also comes with the LED lights while mostly cosmetic make the car look a bit cooler.

19 Aston Martin Vantage - Magnetic Silver - Lemoned
16 Porsche 991 Turbo - White/Black - Gone but missed!
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diononiz
I would highly recommend the exec package as I believe it comes with the HUD which I really like. it also comes with the LED lights while mostly cosmetic make the car look a bit cooler.
+1
Exec Pack is a must.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #17
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

+2... I took that for a given because it is spec'd on almost any car you would find on a lot.

Quote:
+1
Exec Pack is a must.

20" ADV.1 5.0 MV1SL with Pirelli Pzero's
Custom Painted Grill, side markers and tinted front reflectors, Dinan Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #18
serpico1
Rep

Thanks again for the comments-some thoughts..>

Thanks gents,

This really helps.

I'm just not crazy about the Panamera's looks. Subjective yes and I drove one and of course I liked it but not for me. I have a GT3 which I love beyond words but want to go completely away from Porsche.

You may know I looked at the CLS63 AMG and was so so close to pulling the trigger. I also looked at the Audi RS7 but in the end the looks and engine of the M6 GC won out for me over these contenders.

I have never really owned a luxury sport "sedan" that has super car power and technology and looks like this M6 GC. I have fallen in love with this car.

As I said, I would be ordering her new, but wanted to keep the damage at around $110 or so after some negotiations, so I strongly believe I will not check any options boxes.

Of course I would like the HUD but I don't think I will regret not getting any option. We discussed the B and O stereo so apart from that (I will get my own Alpine system down the line) I am fine with zero options.

I have decide on Silverstone exterior and Silverstone interior. I am going to live a little. I love the black interior and yes thank you for pointing out its much easier to keep clean. But wow, how amazing looking is the "white seats" with carbon fiber and black dash. I thought about it long and hard and since one spends the majority of time INSIDE THE CAR, I would never get tired of this interior. Its stunningly beautiful. I will just be anal about keeping it clean and I will be fine.

Again thank you to everyone and if I have more questions its nice to know you guys on this forum can help advise.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico1
Hi, I am new to forum and to BMW. I own a 997.2 GT3 which i love. Im looking for a daily driver that is epic! Fell in love with the M6 GC looks and performance numbers which are out of this world scary. Love the practicality of 4 doors daily driver super car. I have a few questions and appreciate any insights from the group.

Color questions. Im a silver guy and saw the frozen silver of the launch cars in Detroit and ny auto shows. I know its an extra option. Is it $3600 or $5000? If i didn't get frozen i would opt for silverstone but its just as stunning as frozen silver. It just looks more special in frozen to me subjective of course. Is the frozen difficult to maintain? Can I put a clearbra on Frozen Silver as i did my GT3 to protect it from rock chips, etc.?

Interior question...again subjective but please chime in. Im between all black(classic but predictable) or silverstone (white) seats. Both would be with carbon fiber. White is elegant and different from any other interior ive had. My plan is to order with zero options or just maybe the B and O as I love my R and R. Thanks in advance for any comments and insights.
Good luck with the purchase. Please share pics of the beast once it arrives.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0