BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
wanna6
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Do all CCB's squeak?

I'm looking at trading in my wife's XF for an M6. Been looking for about a year now but that's beside the point (I tend to start analyzing my next purchase years before taking the plunge, it also allows me to watch the used market so I can snag the perfect spec and not have to settle for whats currently for sale this very moment)

anyhoo, it seems the only cars with the spec I like are equipped with CCB's and I heard some very bad stories about how all CCB brakes squeak. I just wanted to start a thread and ask is there anyone who drives their car really hard or uses it for the occasional track day and their CCB's don't squeak?

Are there any brake pads for CCB's that don't squeak??

I have afew friends with ferrari's and they can stop the squeaking with a few hard stops but it seems for some reason this doesn't remedy the BMW CCB's and it seems like everyone on CCB's squeals like a pig.

PS- whats the deal with everyone specc'ing their car without full leather btw, it seems like its really hard to find full leather cars on the used market. From the forum it seems like this option is a must although a small fraction of cars have this option (and these are well spec'd out cars with premium paint, comp package, bang'olufsen, etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

I had the CCB retrofitted on my F80, BMW says you don't have to bed the pads in which I found strange with it being a 6 and 4 pot system .After doing a lot of research I decided to bed mine in as the general opinion was that the discs and pads needed to be married to put a nice adhesion layer on the disc, since I done that they have never squeaked and the CCBs on this car have been the same.

BMW M brakes have always been a let down, but this new breed of CCB is what the M cars should be equipped with as standard, no noise no vibration and no brake dust.

Adhesion layer on disc

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 05:42 AM   #3
IM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 F13

mine do squeak horribly, to the effect it can be deafening in town driving coasting at low speeds. I cannot bear it anymore. Any suggestion how we can rid of this shite?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
wanna6
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM6 View Post
mine do squeak horribly, to the effect it can be deafening in town driving coasting at low speeds. I cannot bear it anymore. Any suggestion how we can rid of this shite?
probably going to avoid CCB's for this reason (especially with it being the wifes car she'll kill me if her brakes squeal super bad as she's happy with a 650GC but I wanna get the M6 so I can play around myself)

A bummer though as all the best spec cars have CCB's, and at this point i'm pretty much avoiding CCB's
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
jeknhyde
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 14 conv; RR KAHN 4.4, uber

I also have had this problem and I have 'solved' it by doing 2 things:
1- not leaving the handbrake on for an extended period of time when parked [eg overnight] as I think it builds a layer on the pads
2- rinsing the discs with water from a hose pipe occasionally [when they are cold vs warm!]
I did also try bedding them in with a hard braking session/s but the squeal returns after some heavy town driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
IM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeknhyde View Post
I also have had this problem and I have 'solved' it by doing 2 things:
1- not leaving the handbrake on for an extended period of time when parked [eg overnight] as I think it builds a layer on the pads
2- rinsing the discs with water from a hose pipe occasionally [when they are cold vs warm!]
I did also try bedding them in with a hard braking session/s but the squeal returns after some heavy town driving.
have you tried changing the pads? does it work? really pssed off with these £5K worth brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
jeknhyde
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 14 conv; RR KAHN 4.4, uber

Hi IM6 - no I haven't
Reading previous threads on this subject I had not seen this as a fix as it appears to be a design issue of the system.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #8
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR / F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeknhyde View Post
Hi IM6 - no I haven't
Reading previous threads on this subject I had not seen this as a fix as it appears to be a design issue of the system.
Trade you for steelies
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #9
IM6
Private First Class
Rep

the effectiveness of the CB are amazing but the noise is a big down point.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

I don't get a squeak out of mine at all, stopping power is nuts and so stable.

Appreciate 0