BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Petersl63
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 997tt

Catless down pipes

Does anyone have any idea how to install catless downpipes without getting a code or check engine light or if it is even possible?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

going catless will require a tune. Not just to remove the CEL error but to take full advantage of downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

As with any performance modification tuning the car will get the most out of the mod -- but it's not required.

You will free up the exhaust allowing the turbos to 'spin up' faster and the sound through the exhaust will be amazing. As for the CEL you are going to be stuck with that for now as there are no hacks/fixes/coding that can be done to remedy it. PP-Performance has 'software' to remove the CEL but it depends where you are located otherwise you have to ship them your DMIs (or ship them your car).

I have catless downpipes on my car (I love them) and would never go back to catted downpipes. At first I was so worried about the CEL but after you hear the turbos spin up and spool down through the exhaust pipes you will soon give a shit less about the CEL.

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 04:48 AM   #4
Roadrage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

+1 with Brian,I still have stock exhaust on my car for now but the catless down pipes still sounds amazing and you can hear the turbo's so much better.
      08-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
+1 with Brian,I still have stock exhaust on my car for now but the catless down pipes still sounds amazing and you can hear the turbo's so much better.
So I take it that in Virginia they aren't checking emissions on state inspection? Maybe that is because everyone is required to drive 55 still or go to jail? That is a strange combination, don't care about emissions but nazi enforcement of speed limits.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
EuroKar
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersl63 View Post
Does anyone have any idea how to install catless downpipes without getting a code or check engine light or if it is even possible?
You cant take advantage of catless downpipes without a proper tune.
Your check engine light will be on. You will not know if your engine develops another issue because your light will already have been on.
Your lambda control will not be correct because of the ECU's trying to figure out why the rear oxygen sensors are reading off the charts.
Its up to you what you want to do. Does it sound cool with them ? Yes.
Is it good for your engine ? No
You should call software tuners and get their honest opinion on this.
Exhaust companies will tell you to buy their product to have a sale.
They are not the software engineers that develop and monitor the operating values while creating a software tune.
Good luck
Just my opinion on the subject
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Roadrage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

wrsbmw yeah Virginia do have some crazy laws and I am pretty sure catless downpipes are against emission laws. I just got lucky the car was new and I guess they didn't really inspect the car just slapped the inspection sticker on.
      08-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
wrsbmw yeah Virginia do have some crazy laws and I am pretty sure catless downpipes are against emission laws. I just got lucky the car was new and I guess they didn't really inspect the car just slapped the inspection sticker on.
Ah, OK. I think you might have an issue the next time your sticker comes up. New cars in Texas get a two year sticker so I could have done catless and then next May have to deal with it. My SA told me he had one guy with a M3 that runs catless and that guy gets the pipes replaced to pass inspection and then puts the catless back on every year. That is $2000 worth of BMW labor each year so he can run catless. I can't see it, thus I opted for the Noelle's which won't fail inspection but did come at a high cost, $4500. They sound great and they also work within the Dinan Tune parameters because Steve Dinan has them on his car.
Appreciate 0