BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      12-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
bmwuser
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan M Sport

650 W/Manual Trans.

Currently have a 2008 650I convertible, 6sp, manual transmission coming off lease 21,872 miles. Just got back from the sealer trying to determine if I want to buy it out or go for a new 1. Looking for the same car with the same options. I found out that you cannot get a manual in a 6 series unless you do a special order. The dealer did a search and found only 3 in the country, 1 in Boston, 1 in calif, and 1 in Atlanta. The sdalesman said BMW is getting away from standards, even the M series have what they call a double clutch. Now I have to decide what I want to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Quite a difference between 1 and 650. Perhaps consider a 6-spd M3 get a little of both worlds. Foe me a manual is a must, more involved and engaged in driving the car.

The new 650I is a lovely car, but a grand touring type car rather than a GT. If you want a stick do a custom build to order. I did on my M3, something special about having a car built to your specs. And you can do BMW individual getting even more custom features.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
bmwuser
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan M Sport

I agree. Looks like custom build. I too like the manual and that is 1 option I am not willing to give up. Talking to the dealer BMW has about $7K in incentives before you even start to hagle on price.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwuser View Post
I agree. Looks like custom build. I too like the manual and that is 1 option I am not willing to give up. Talking to the dealer BMW has about $7K in incentives before you even start to hagle on price.
You do your homework you can Lease a 650i for around $1,000, more or less depending on how many options you add on.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

My 650 vert has a clutch pedal: special order with Munich Delivery 9/5/11

the bad news is the center console is black sparkly plastic and doesn't match the wood trim on the rest of the vert. Also, you only get one cupholder near the iDrive as the gear linkage eliminates the twin cupholders found on the slushbox cars
      12-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Nice ^
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #7
roadsta
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i

Maybe it is just me, but this 'slushbox' comment is wearing thin. (Maybe like your clutch plates)

I bet the new 8-speed will beat the best most people can do with foot and hand. And there is 8 of them. The gear changes, especially from third upwards, are very fast indeed.

roadsta
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

Stick vs Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsta View Post
Maybe it is just me, but this 'slushbox' comment is wearing thin. (Maybe like your clutch plates)

I bet the new 8-speed will beat the best most people can do with foot and hand. And there is 8 of them. The gear changes, especially from third upwards, are very fast indeed.

roadsta
I agree with roadsta............ the term "slushbox" was coined decades ago with the 2 spd auto in the 50's and early 60's. These new 8 speeds are truly a technological marvel ! Having said that...... it's still a personal choice. Some people still want the "feel" of being more in control of these cars, when in fact they pretty much can drive themselves. Our automatic will be the 1st my wife and I have ever owned!! Our fun car remains a 65 GTO app 500hp and a 5 speed stick........ we truly are in control of that ride!!!!

And c'mon....... to have a tacky plastic surround that doesn't match anything in these cars....... and only one cup holder????????/ You can't lose a cupholder???

Still a choice I suppose. Cheers Ric
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm sure the auto is quicker shifting than I can - but after 45 years of driving MT cars I don't buy MT cars because I think I can shave a couple tenths from a 0-60 or 0-100 sprint; I always choose MT because I enjoy shifting. The slush box comment was probably off base - the new Step isn't the Powerglide from my '59 Impala

I'm after BMW to make the console right
- they are at least listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsta View Post

roadsta
      12-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
thebreadman
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650i Manual

Angry black panel near stick

dkreidel,

Have you gotten anywhere with BMW on replacing the black panel to one that matches the dash wood like all the auto users have?

I have not received my car yet, but did bring it up to the dealer when I placed the order. I was hoping it was just a laziness issue and not represented properly on the website car configurator. I will be complaining about it if it does actually come in like that and was hoping that BMW would make this right. It makes no sense that a superficial piece of wood (or lack there of) would be different on a manual versus auto transmission. Especially on a car of this stature.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think I'm making progress - the Western district Manager has seen the car and says BMW will fix the problem...but a bunch of e-mails back and forth from BMW NA to Germany are indicating only "maybe".

I'm not letting go of this as it is indeed ridiculous to have that chitty black plastic console on a $100K+ MSRP car. Good luck - and let me know how your car arrives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadman View Post
dkreidel,

Have you gotten anywhere with BMW on replacing the black panel to one that matches the dash wood like all the auto users have?

I have not received my car yet, but did bring it up to the dealer when I placed the order. I was hoping it was just a laziness issue and not represented properly on the website car configurator. I will be complaining about it if it does actually come in like that and was hoping that BMW would make this right. It makes no sense that a superficial piece of wood (or lack there of) would be different on a manual versus auto transmission. Especially on a car of this stature.
      12-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

The 8 speed auto still feels nothing like the 6 speed manual.

That being said, you can order one and it will take a month or two to arrive. Its worth the wait to get what you want.
Appreciate 0