BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
adanny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6

M6 Comp Package: How much less comfort even in comfort mode?

Hi Folks

I saw this article in Top Gear
http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/b.../first-drive-0

Top Gear mentions that ...
"...Even in Comfort mode - the adaptive dampers also offer Sport (silly) and Sport Plus (unusable) - the M6 Competition is extremely firm. Jarring, sometimes. It doesn’t like British A or B-roads at all, and fidgets like a petulant toddler.

BMW doesn’t quote just how much it’s stiffened up the Competition’s springs, dampers, and the anti-roll bars, but on the evidence of a short British road-based test, Munich’s overcooked it.

Such a rigid ride would be more logical if this was some sort of stripped-out M4 GTS track special, but the M6 is more intercontinental express than pit-lane refugee."

Has anyone had any direct experience on the above? I test drove both a regular and a CP car over the last 2 weeks and candidly couldn't tell the difference but it was a week apart, different roads etc.

would love to hear about others' experiences

adanny
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

I don't see it that way at all.I live on a small island in the UK which has more than its fair share of bumpy A and B roads.Comfort mode is perfect if you want to cruise a long.

We are lucky here where I live as we don't have a national speed limit of 70mph like the rest of the U.K. , we have good stretches of roads with no speed restrictions where you can open your car up when it's safe to do so.I find sport , sport and sport perfect for everyday driving and sport plus , sport and sport in mdm for when I want to open it up.
Have tried sport plus on the damper and yes the road does have to be flat to use it and is not ideal on bumpy roads, I also had a 911 carrera s which acted exactly the same in the sport pasm mode which started to ping pong the front.

On a track , which I never track my cars I would imagine sport plus would be perfect.
This car has also got the ceramics which knock a huge chunk off the rolling masses as did my last car (F80M3), having test drove an F80 a few times with the ccb against one with the standards , the ccb equipped car was far better to handle and although I Havnt driven an M6 with the standards I would imagine the same could be said.

For me the suspension is perfect and at speed it comes into its own,it's a better ride than the F80 on the same roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
adanny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6

melvyn - assume of course you have it with the Competition Package?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Good info Melvyn. How is the road noise? Any worse with stiffer suspension?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 11:31 PM   #5
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanny View Post
melvyn - assume of course you have it with the Competition Package?
Yes, that's right
I was a bit concerned that it would be a harsh ride after reading a few motoring reviews as I wanted this car to be my final M, I am not disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
Good info Melvyn. How is the road noise? Any worse with stiffer suspension?
Road noise is not to bad at all with very little if any wind noise,cabin is very well sound proofed but tyre noise changes as the road surface changes
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 05:41 AM   #6
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
reaton31
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6

Garage List
2016 Alpina B6  [0.00]
2014 BMW M6 Comp  [0.00]
I have a 2014 M6 with competition package and find the ride to be most suitable as a daily driver. Tires of course are a big factor. I recently replaced old tires with Michelin Super Sport tires....."softened" the ride quite a bit. A minor note, but I found the CP tuned exhaust even better than non CP.
Appreciate 0