BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
jbsmith
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 F12 CP Exec Asst B&O

Talking First post, first BMW

Background: I've been wanting a relatively larger convertible for quite some time as a "Sunday driver". My wife and I have a 3 year old that I wanted to be able to install his car seat in rear. 911's were too small all around and didn't have the exhaust note I wanted. Maser GTC sport had a nice exhaust note, unique, and larger, but outdated tech and a bit slow. Then I ran across the M6...relatively large, tons of tech/options/luxury, quick, biturbo v8, and a more local dealer. Here is my one-owner 2014 white M6 with CP, exec, driver assist, CF interior trim, black leather, B&O, etc.... (attach pics later as my firewall is not allowing)

Love the car thus far. Question...when accelerating normal from stop, I assume the double clutch is supposed to act like a manual from a gradual power to wheels perspective? This has taken some getting use to.

Being that I liked the GTC for it's exhaust, even with the CP (and flaps zip tied open) the OEM exhaust is lacking on the M6. Most likely my first mod for something louder, more aggressive in either an exotic or mean kind of way, but not "ricer". I really like the videos where turbo spool can be heard. One youtube video had a Meisterschaft cat back with AMS high flow cats that sounds pretty nasty. I've also been looking into Eisanmann Race, RPI, FI, Turner, etc... I've heard the Akra may be too tamed for my liking? Since I'm still under warranty, I most likely would like to leave the OEM downpipes as they are for now. BTW, I've already zip tied my flaps open on CP OEM exhaust. Just want more. Any suggestions based off of my comments above?

Different subject, but does Tapatalk not work well for Bimmerpost forums? I cannot select the subforums like M6? I can only see home page items with no option to select various forums?

Another mod would be a rear spoiler. Anyone have luck with the $160 ones off of ebay?

Thanks again and look fwd to learning more about this car.

Last edited by jbsmith; 11-20-2017 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
jbsmith
United_States
Rep

Pics or it didn't happen, huh? Would love to hear thoughts on acceleration with double clutch, aftermarket exhaust, spoiler, and tapatalk forum compatibility as mentioned above. Thanks for your time and expertise as I'm still learning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
jbsmith
United_States
Rep

Added visor decal to add a little racing IMSA flare. Placement and not going with a solid visor allows the sensors to still be active with better visibility (I'm 6'5" and adjust seat to lowest setting). I believe the sensors are the high beam and rain sensors? Pic of offroad toy as well...2012 Ford Raptor with mods.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sorry but that visor decal is shockingly bad. That kind of thing suits the pick-up but really cheapens the M6. You've just turned a 100k car into a Honda Civic.
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
jbsmith
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derboy View Post
Sorry but that visor decal is shockingly bad. That kind of thing suits the pick-up but really cheapens the M6. You've just turned a 100k car into a Honda Civic.
Honda Civic was a little harsh. LOL!
The decal can be easily removed from the 140k car. I was just trying something inspired from the racing M6s...kind of like some of the other race car inspired mods I've been seeing (CF grill, CF mirror covers, rear spoiler, etc...). To each their own though. Thanks for being honest.

What's your thoughts/experience with my original questions...double clutch engagement from stop (supposed to act like manual clutch?), aftermarket exhaust, rear spoiler, and/or using this forum via tapatalk app? The Rolex and Raptor forums work great on tapatalk, but for some reason I can't get sub-forums to show up on Bimmerpost? Thanks for any help you or others can provide.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      11-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #6
hjs1971
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5m, 2012 m6 convertible

From a stop, first gear in this car is “jerky”, it should be smoother for $140k. Many people love the M performance exhaust but a small minority feel it’s not loud enough. eBay spoilers did not work on my vert but jl motoring has pics of one on theirs that looks decent, that’s my next option. Can’t help with the tapatalk stuff, sorry.
      11-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
jbsmith
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjs1971 View Post
From a stop, first gear in this car is “jerky”, it should be smoother for $140k. Many people love the M performance exhaust but a small minority feel it’s not loud enough. eBay spoilers did not work on my vert but jl motoring has pics of one on theirs that looks decent, that’s my next option. Can’t help with the tapatalk stuff, sorry.
Thanks for the feedback. So sounds like this is normal for the M6 double clutch....normal acceleration from stop it acts like a true manual as it gradually engages as the car moves from stop and then boom...full engagement and power. Please keep us posted on your spoiler selection. Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving.

BTW, this was the spoiler on ebay....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2016-F...19.m1438.l2649

2014 M6 F12 with CP, Exec, Asst, B&O, black leather with CF trim
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Don't forget "creep mode". Tap the accelerator and release and the car will continue to move slowly.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #9
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Don't forget "creep mode". Tap the accelerator and release and the car will continue to move slowly.
On the subject of the gearbox, if say the car has been parked over night in P, when selecting reverse mainly has anyone experienced a clonk from the gearbox during engagement, if this normal, mine can be quite harsh at times i assume the gears engaging when cold are slower than one moving the gear lever movement, i find that to avoid this i go from Park to Drive then into reverse as opposed to Park straight to reverse, still get a knock but alot less

Any view
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
jbsmith
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Sounds like my experience from a stop is normal for the double clutch in the M6. Since I used to drive manual sports cars in the past, I think I was engaging "creep mode" from instinct. I'll try it out more. It's still under warranty, so I just want to make sure items like these are normal. Thanks again.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #11
jbsmith
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
On the subject of the gearbox, if say the car has been parked over night in P, when selecting reverse mainly has anyone experienced a clonk from the gearbox during engagement, if this normal, mine can be quite harsh at times i assume the gears engaging when cold are slower than one moving the gear lever movement, i find that to avoid this i go from Park to Drive then into reverse as opposed to Park straight to reverse, still get a knock but alot less

Any view
Sorry I'm not much help here as I back my car into the garage. Therefore, I leave in Drive. I'll try to pay attention more if I ever start off in reverse elsewhere though.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #12
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post

Any view
Normal. I have this behaviour in my current car from time to time and a few years ago I owned a 2012 M3 DCT and it was the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 03:26 AM   #13
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Thanks good to know
Appreciate 0