BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

02-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
SL%%
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 525i

Rear legroom

It's nice to see that everybody who owns a 6 really is enjoying their time inside but may I know one thing, how's the rear headroom and legroom of the new 6? is it hard getting in and out from the rear?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Two words: Absolutely horrible. Haha.

Ok, seriously, it is pretty tight. I am 6' 4" and one of my friends is 6' 5", and we have plenty of room in the front, but there is no room behind the seats (approximately 3" to 4" between the rear seat cushion and the front seat backs). I know that they say it is a 2 + 2, but for me it is a 2 + 1 (no one behind me + passenger eating his knees + backseat passenger squished in the back) at best - but really a 2 seater. Head room is very tight as well, especially in the coupe. The cloth convertible top affords an extra inch or so. If I sit in the back seat my head is touching the roof. I don't put anyone in the rear unless they are relatively short because (1) I'd rather have the taller person in the front so they aren't as close to the dash obstructing my view out the side and (2) I don't want people's hair in direct contact with my Alcantara headliner.

I was driving a 1 Series and a 3 Series at the Performance Center the other weekend, and both of them had more backseat space than the 6. If the people in the front seat are 5' 10" or shorter you may be able to fit two people in the back. Someone on another thread said you can fit a car seat in the back, and you could probably fit a young child back there if you needed to.

I know I sound like I'm being hyperbolic, but it really is a joke of a back seat. For me, I use it as a storage bench for jackets, umbrellas, etc. that I don't want in the trunk and a test place for leather care products before using them on the front.

The plus side of the nonexistant backseat is that you get a huge trunk (at least for a coupe). I prefer this arrangement as I'm very tall and would rather be comfortable all the time and have plenty of storage rather than be cramped in the front and have no storage.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here are a few pics of my back seat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
SL%%
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Two words: Absolutely horrible. Haha.

Ok, seriously, it is pretty tight. I am 6' 4" and one of my friends is 6' 5", and we have plenty of room in the front, but there is no room behind the seats (approximately 3" to 4" between the rear seat cushion and the front seat backs). I know that they say it is a 2 + 2, but for me it is a 2 + 1 (no one behind me + passenger eating his knees + backseat passenger squished in the back) at best - but really a 2 seater. Head room is very tight as well, especially in the coupe. The cloth convertible top affords an extra inch or so. If I sit in the back seat my head is touching the roof. I don't put anyone in the rear unless they are relatively short because (1) I'd rather have the taller person in the front so they aren't as close to the dash obstructing my view out the side and (2) I don't want people's hair in direct contact with my Alcantara headliner.

I was driving a 1 Series and a 3 Series at the Performance Center the other weekend, and both of them had more backseat space than the 6. If the people in the front seat are 5' 10" or shorter you may be able to fit two people in the back. Someone on another thread said you can fit a car seat in the back, and you could probably fit a young child back there if you needed to.

I know I sound like I'm being hyperbolic, but it really is a joke of a back seat. For me, I use it as a storage bench for jackets, umbrellas, etc. that I don't want in the trunk and a test place for leather care products before using them on the front.

The plus side of the nonexistant backseat is that you get a huge trunk (at least for a coupe). I prefer this arrangement as I'm very tall and would rather be comfortable all the time and have plenty of storage rather than be cramped in the front and have no storage.
thanks for the very much informative experience and pictures that you provided. the plus size for my case is that I'm just about 5' 6" so that means, I don't have to push the driver seat back further. maybe for us who lives in asia, our median height is about my height, the back seat would pretty much be of a good use for those who are about 5'5" and below. for us we can maybe be safely say its a 2+2, but for those who are at leat 6', then I guess, it will just be purely a 2. thanks again
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
SL%%
Private First Class
Rep

btw, nice pictures of your car on the other threads (:
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm glad you and your passengers will be able to appreciate the beautiful back seat of this car. They did a great job incorporating the trim, contrast stitching, and ambient lighting, but sadly my umbrella is the only one who gets to see it. It's a real shame that the best design BMW has ever come up with for a backseat is on this car where most of us can't see it - luckily the 6 GC will allow it to receive a little more attention.

Enjoy your car! It is an amazing machine!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
After buying the car I tested this out "scientifically" with people different sizes.
Here is what I found out:

The convertible is similar to the coupe, except that you have more headroom. It's a true 2 + (0,5 + 0,5) seater for European sizes (or Americans as Southern6er stated).

For me being 182 cm (6') in the front seat, people below 170 cm (5'7") are ok in the back seat for shorter travels. Backseaters below 160 cm (5'3") have space even for longer journeys.

A driver and co-driver of 5'6 and rear seat passengers of 5'6 will definitely have a comfortable ride.

So may be it's a 2+2 seater after all

Last edited by Superspeed; 02-27-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
John Mclane
Registered
Rep
Drives: 650i vert

For seating children on their dedicated seats, has anyone here attempted to remove the back seats? Not the bottom part as it gives height for proper seat belt use (toddler/booster seat)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

It was actually said in another review..or post here??...

The back seat is in fact an expensive but asthetically pleasing extension of the package tray and is intended for groceries or as Southern put it...car detailing products!!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I will never attempt to put any human beings in my back seats, they're just there for decoration IMO!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
SL%%
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
After buying the car I tested this out "scientifically" with people different sizes.
Here is what I found out:

The convertible is similar to the coupe, except that you have more headroom. It's a true 2 + (0,5 + 0,5) seater for European sizes (or Americans as Southern6er stated).

For me being 182 cm (6') in the front seat, people below 170 cm (5'7") are ok in the back seat for shorter travels. Backseaters below 160 cm (5'3") have space even for longer journeys.

A driver and co-driver of 5'6 and rear seat passengers of 5'6 will definitely have a comfortable ride.

So may be it's a 2+2 seater after all
I find this observation to be true because one of relative purchased an Audi A4 early this year and I was surprised with the interior in terms of size, it grew. Even the F10 5 grew inside so I believe anyone who is below 5'5" can enjoy the rear seats
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
leejae1376
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 650xi M Package

2+2 = cheaper insurance

otherwise we'd be in MB SL550 category.
Appreciate 0