BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
vaio23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650I

Need help. ID engine Line

I was looking at my engine since I am always low on oil and noticed the highlighted line seemed to be leaking oil. When I grabbed it, it was completely broken when the line in shown. What is this line for and what kind of damage could it have caused?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Looks like your PCV hose. If that's what it is, it's connected to a plastic valve housing that only allows air to go one way. It vents the crank case and blow by goes through it so you will see oil since it's busted from the engine heat. It's probably also causing you a vacuum leak so replace the hose and you should be good to go! I just brought in my 2014 650 coupe and they found a few cracked air lines around the turbos. It's this design with the turbos on top of the engine, I'm not sold on it for long term maintenance and reliability.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
vaio23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
Looks like your PCV hose. If that's what it is, it's connected to a plastic valve housing that only allows air to go one way. It vents the crank case and blow by goes through it so you will see oil since it's busted from the engine heat. It's probably also causing you a vacuum leak so replace the hose and you should be good to go! I just brought in my 2014 650 coupe and they found a few cracked air lines around the turbos. It's this design with the turbos on top of the engine, I'm not sold on it for long term maintenance and reliability.
Thanks allot. I was removing my bms to drop off for service when i saw this issue. Did some digging and alo found this.

http://bmwtechnician.com/2016/01/12/n63tu-lean-mixture/
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

anyone know when BMW megan using the high temp rubber as discussed in the link? I was thinking of putting an oil catch can inline, and am wondering if this is something to look at too.
Appreciate 0