BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #23
adamg13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

For reference, does anyone on here own a non-CC F12 that doesn't exhibit brake noise? It sounds like some of the non-carbons may be even louder than the carbons, which is unexpected. The CC's are generally quiet when they're clean
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #24
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
My F13 non-CC has no brake squeal or noise FWIW. /me crosses his fingers that it stays that way.... ~4,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #25
CFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

I had the noise pretty much since getting the car, but had the SIB done recently and it seems to have resolved it (knock on wood).
2016 X5 M-sport 50, 2013 M6 AW/Black, 2012 X5M AW/Black, 2011 M3, 2008 335i, 2006 M3, 2008 335i, 2002 M3, 2002 330ci, 1997 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #26
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
No, it's not inherent to the M6. It's a bunch of BS from BMW, these brakes should not squeal. Trust me, to 99% of people out there....it doesn't sound out "we've arrived at the intersection" but rather "here comes my POS rusted out car."

Maybe once they've replaced enough sets of pads and rotors under warranty they will get the idea. I've had AMG's that NEVER squealed. Mine were at their worse on Friday night after I drove on the interstate for about 50 miles (not even sure I pressed the brakes more than once or twice the whole way)......I came downtown and if I started applying my brakes 75 feet before the stop sign, they squealed the entire 75 feet. Unacceptable and downright embarrassing.
M6 is not "POS rusted out car"... and I don't care what people say... if you want to judge like this, every car can be POS because every car may have an issue and I'm not sure about your 2004 SL55 AMG, but I have seen many sport or super-sport high performance cars have this issue...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #27
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
No, it's not inherent to the M6. It's a bunch of BS from BMW, these brakes should not squeal. Trust me, to 99% of people out there....it doesn't sound out "we've arrived at the intersection" but rather "here comes my POS rusted out car."

Maybe once they've replaced enough sets of pads and rotors under warranty they will get the idea. I've had AMG's that NEVER squealed. Mine were at their worse on Friday night after I drove on the interstate for about 50 miles (not even sure I pressed the brakes more than once or twice the whole way)......I came downtown and if I started applying my brakes 75 feet before the stop sign, they squealed the entire 75 feet. Unacceptable and downright embarrassing.
M6 is not "POS rusted out car"... and I don't care what people say... if you want to judge like this, every car can be POS because every car may have an issue and I'm not sure about your 2004 SL55 AMG, but I have seen many sport or super-sport high performance cars have this issue...
+1

His comments are always so negative/angry- so I simply take it with a grain of salt.

As mentioned before- whenever my brakes start squealing- simple/fun rememedy- take it to an empty road at night- hit 80-100mph and slam the brakes. Cures it for a few weeks then repeat.
      02-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #28
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

LOL, then take it with a grain of salt! What can I say, there are a couple real clowns on this board. You want me to ignore the fact the car sounds horrible due to the brakes? Maybe this is your guy's first M or high-performance car and you are just happy to be in it and don't care how it sounds. Got news for you, it doesn't matter the car.....it could be a Bugatti, if your brakes are as loud as ours', the first thought in peoples' heads is going to be why your car is broke.

Whether it be when I had the SL55 or when I had my E64 M6 Cabrio (also new)....the brakes did not squeal, at all, let alone after 2k miles. $130k cars are not supposed to do that. Ever heard a Lambo, Bentley, Ferrari squeel louder than a pig? Not me. I don't even think cop cars or taxis' brakes are this loud. The worst part is that BMW acts as if this is normal......yet they have no problem replacing the pads and rotors (probably $5k to do) if you complain enough. If it really were normal, they would tell you to pound sand and wouldn't replace a thing.

I think I need to get a new exhaust just so people can't hear the brakes.

M6 Coupe, you asked in a previous post how many 600hp cars are there that have to stop at 60MPH and are 4,400 pounds and that most high-performance cars have brake issues. No, they don't. That argument is defeated by the fact that tonight I went for a 2 mile roundtrip to get food (never going more than 35MPH) and the brakes were squealing immediately. Do 7-Series or S550's...cars much heavier than the M6 and just a bit less HP, have these issues? No. It's just a dumb argument to try to prove....that the squealing is somehow normal.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i

Last edited by mjr24; 02-19-2015 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #29
PWB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Incoming G83

Quote:
Originally Posted by devondragon
My F13 non-CC has no brake squeal or noise FWIW. /me crosses his fingers that it stays that way.... ~4,000 miles.
My F12 started squealing at ~4500 miles :-(
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #30
adamg13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Quote:
LOL, then take it with a grain of salt! What can I say, there are a couple real clowns on this board. You want me to ignore the fact the car sounds horrible due to the brakes? Maybe this is your guy's first M or high-performance car and you are just happy to be in it and don't care how it sounds. Got news for you, it doesn't matter the car.....it could be a Bugatti, if your brakes are as loud as ours', the first thought in peoples' heads is going to be why your car is broke.

Whether it be when I had the SL55 or when I had my E64 M6 Cabrio (also new)....the brakes did not squeal, at all, let alone after 2k miles. $130k cars are not supposed to do that. Ever heard a Lambo, Bentley, Ferrari squeel louder than a pig? Not me. I don't even think cop cars or taxis' brakes are this loud. The worst part is that BMW acts as if this is normal......yet they have no problem replacing the pads and rotors (probably $5k to do) if you complain enough. If it really were normal, they would tell you to pound sand and wouldn't replace a thing.

M6 Coupe, you asked in a previous post how many 600hp cars are there that have to stop at 60MPH and are 4,400 pounds and that most high-performance cars have brake issues. No, they don't. That argument is defeated by the fact that tonight I went for a 2 mile roundtrip to get food (never going more than 35MPH) and the brakes were squealing immediately. Do 7-Series or S550's...cars much heavier than the M6 and just a bit less HP, have these issues? No. It's just a dumb argument to try to prove....that the squealing is somehow normal.
How can you even notice the brake squeal over your own incessant whining?

Anyway, insults aside - I can see why you guys who didn't opt for CC's are pissed off about the noise, because you weren't given the same noise disclaimer that the CC owners were. Isn't a reason to get so dramatic about it on here, though. It's worth putting up a fight with the dealer, and I'd probably do the same since I'd always hassle them about panel creaking etc. in my 7's. "It's normal" is always the first thing they try to tell you about anything that doesn't trigger a drivetrain malfunction light. Since it's affecting some owners and not others, it's either an issue with precision in the manufacturing that's creating a lack of variation between parts, or a result of driving conditions and/or improper break-in. I'm sure if you put up enough of a fight you can get the set changed at least once, but since more owners seem to have noise than not - the odds may be against you when it comes to getting a quiet set.

BTW: google Ferrari brake noise. All of the new ones have it.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2015, 10:17 PM   #31
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24

Fyi- my f13 is my first high end car (came from a yaris). And It won't be my last (just put in an order for a 2016 model individual order as well with a wk 13 build fyi), but considering I'm 26, didn't come from a family with money- I had to work my ass off to get to where I am and sacrifice what most people my age won't in order to have what I do- so excuse me that I don't allow something as stupid as "brake squeals" to ruin such a beautiful car or an amazing feeling/experience it is to wake up to this. I know there are millions of people who wish they were in our shoes. I got the car because I wanted it- not because I give two shits about what other people think of it nor does it bother me if the brakes makes them think less of me because most people can't afford it.

As mentioned above by Adam- those of us with the CCB, were given a disclaimer on the noise. And as I mentioned- the fix is simple- these brakes aren't meant to be driven lightly- so it does need a good slam from time to time.

In two years when I do jump up to a Ferrari or lambo- I'll be sure to update you then as far as how they sound but like ^ mentioned, look up "Ferrari brake noise"
      02-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #32
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The worst part is that BMW acts as if this is normal......yet they have no problem replacing the pads and rotors (probably $5k to do) if you complain enough. If it really were normal, they would tell you to pound sand and wouldn't replace a thing.
I don't think they change the rotors and brakes over and over! They do it one time because you are a customer who is paying for a top end BMW and are supposed to be treated and be satisfied and they don't want to lose their business with you...

Quote:
By stating the high performance car, I was referring to high performance brakes on those cars. I had no issue with my 2012 650i and 2013 650i while both were as heavy as my M6 but not as powerful as M6 but they had different rotors and different brake system. I guess the issue is related to the friction and balance between these specific drilled rotors and ceramic pads. After about 10k you will see the small cracks starting to be appeared from the edge of those holes. This is common in all high performance cars with drilled rotors. Those holes are there to dissipate the overheating (you can see the video I posted) and help to cool down both rotors and pads.

BTW, this is not the first thread about squealing noise. There are tons of threads like this in M5post and I have read many people with high performance cars such as 911 claimed the same issue.
Here is another thread about squealing noise of Lamborghini Gallardo
http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbfo...ke-squeal-544/

As a side note, nothing is perfect in this world! I do appreciate all the efforts BMW engineers put to design this car. I know how hard it is to design such a great car with respect to all factors including reliability, marketing and competition. I feel them maybe because I'm design engineer and I'm facing most of design struggles every single day
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #33
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSugarSkulls View Post
Fyi- my f13 is my first high end car (came from a yaris). And It won't be my last (just put in an order for a 2016 model individual order as well with a wk 13 build fyi), but considering I'm 26, didn't come from a family with money- I had to work my ass off to get to where I am and sacrifice what most people my age won't in order to have what I do- so excuse me that I don't allow something as stupid as "brake squeals" to ruin such a beautiful car or an amazing feeling/experience it is to wake up to this. I know there are millions of people who wish they were in our shoes. I got the car because I wanted it- not because I give two shits about what other people think of it nor does it bother me if the brakes makes them think less of me because most people can't afford it.

As mentioned above by Adam- those of us with the CCB, were given a disclaimer on the noise. And as I mentioned- the fix is simple- these brakes aren't meant to be driven lightly- so it does need a good slam from time to time.

In two years when I do jump up to a Ferrari or lambo- I'll be sure to update you then as far as how they sound but like ^ mentioned, look up "Ferrari brake noise"
I'd love to hear the story of your success. What do you do if you don't mind me asking?

My next car is definitely the Huracan
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #34
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSugarSkulls View Post

I'd love to hear the story of your success. What do you do if you don't mind me asking?

My next car is definitely the Huracan
Pm sent!
      02-20-2015, 11:15 PM   #35
mjr24
Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=M6-Coupe;17431290]I don't think they change the rotors and brakes over and over! They do it one time because you are a customer who is paying for a top end BMW and are supposed to be treated and be satisfied and they don't want to lose their business with you...

I've read a couple of stories where people have had them changed several times because of that noise. Wasn't there just a thread on here about a guy actually suing under the lemon law for this very issue (I believe BMW had replaced pads and rotors 3 times already on his car).

I have definitely heard about the squealing issue being normal with ceramic brakes. However, I have not heard of this being normal with non-ceramics....AMG's have not had this issue and you can't tell me their brakes are any less sophisticated than BMW. I also don't think BMW would have came out with a service bulletin on this very issue if it were normal. Don't get me wrong, I love the car. That's why the brake issue is a bit of a downer...everything else is perfect with it. I wouldn't mind a squeal here and there....but mine just seem to be all the time (like I said, yesterday it was doing it with the brakes cold and driving at low speeds...so it can't be the same issue as the brakes getting hot thing with the Lambos).
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 02:10 AM   #36
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've read a couple of stories where people have had them changed several times because of that noise. Wasn't there just a thread on here about a guy actually suing under the lemon law for this very issue (I believe BMW had replaced pads and rotors 3 times already on his car).

I have definitely heard about the squealing issue being normal with ceramic brakes. However, I have not heard of this being normal with non-ceramics....AMG's have not had this issue and you can't tell me their brakes are any less sophisticated than BMW. I also don't think BMW would have came out with a service bulletin on this very issue if it were normal. Don't get me wrong, I love the car. That's why the brake issue is a bit of a downer...everything else is perfect with it. I wouldn't mind a squeal here and there....but mine just seem to be all the time (like I said, yesterday it was doing it with the brakes cold and driving at low speeds...so it can't be the same issue as the brakes getting hot thing with the Lambos).
Check these out:

C63 AMG..... (You will be surprised especially by reading the post#4 and #15 of this link)
http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w2...ky-brakes.html

ML 63 AMG
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164...king-like.html

CLA 45 AMG
http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/14-...squeaking.html

And a solution has been already offered for AMG squealing noise
http://www.ecstuning.com/Mercedes_Be...982/ES1613882/

So basically:
1. Squealing noise is common in all performance cars
2. MB AMG is squealing noise club
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 11:49 PM   #37
mjr24
Colonel
Rep

Ah, M6 Coupe, my friend....most of those posts say their cars DON'T squeal. Some of those people also had ceramics. I think we all agree ceramics squeal.

Anti squeal paste has zero to do with it....my dealer told me they cleaned up the brakes and rotors last time I had it in (which I also assume to mean they lubricated them). It worked! For one day.

Maybe I'll try bedding them in and see if it goes away....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 12:06 AM   #38
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ah, M6 Coupe, my friend....most of those posts say their cars DON'T squeal. Some of those people also had ceramics. I think we all agree ceramics squeal.

Anti squeal paste has zero to do with it....my dealer told me they cleaned up the brakes and rotors last time I had it in (which I also assume to mean they lubricated them). It worked! For one day.

Maybe I'll try bedding them in and see if it goes away....
Buddy, are we talking about "most of people" or about the fact of noise?
You said AMG does not have this squealing noise issue and I posted the links that there are some people own AMG and have the same issue
while there are some people who own M5/M6 and have no squealing noise issue...
You cannot simply say that your experience with your 2004 SL55 AMG means no squealing noise in AMG club... we are living in year 2015! 11 years ago is gone. How do you compare the todays brake system with 10 years ago? Todays brakes are more reliable and are designed to stop the car in shorter distance/time.
Yeah I believe you have to try bedding process. Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 11:02 AM   #39
Marcofutah
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5m

I have the same SQUEELING….dealer refuses to fix says it’s “normal”. I am SO mad…did anyone find an answer?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 11:26 PM   #40
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Check what type/brand of pads are installed. high metalic content pads can cause squealing.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 08:25 AM   #41
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Also every service advisor will brush it off as normal, less work for them. Take it to a high end independent BMW shop. I bought my 13 M6 with 42k miles from BMW and they replaced the front pads as part of their reconditioning. It's had a brake squeal since I drove it home that night and they've refused to do anything about it. Thankfully it's not terrible, mostly as I come to a stop at a red light from maybe 15mph-0.
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0