BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

M6 Exhaust Suggestions (new PDC delivery w/M-School)

I just took delivery of my Alpine White w/Navarro Brown M6 Convertible at the PDC in SC. Did the performance delivery, followed by the 2-Day M-School, and then drove her back to Milwaukee using only back roads and no cruise control. Big fun in the mountains! Almost broken in now at just under 1000 miles. I firmly believe it is impossible to fully appreciate the BMW product line without doing a PDC delivery or M-School to see/experience the cars in action on the track. The cars in the school (1M, M3, M5) are driven exceptionally hard every day and all they basically do is change the oil, rubber, and brakes....

Anyway, although the car sounds OK, I'm pretty sure I want to swap out the exhaust system for something with a little more aggressive note. I have been researching the Akrapovic and Meisterschaft solutions and I am wondering if anyone has any comparative feedback about the two products. Anyone seen/heard both? Direct experience with either is also appreciated!

BTW - The M6 Convertible is a real Cop magnet! Worse than my highly modified (read this as "loud") red Mustang! I got pulled over in Indiana (76 in 60) and it REALLY is difficult to keep her from taking off when NOT using the cruise control. No apologies, no excuses, and the guy only gave me a warning. However, his SECOND question after "License and Registration, please" was "What year is this? ;-)

Also had another cop hit the lights/siren on me passing through Milwaukee and I honestly though he just wanted to get around me (I don't think I was going that fast as I didn't even think to glance at the speedo), so I moved over to the middle lane to let him pass which he did, but he turned off the light/sound show after he got past me... Maybe he too just wanted a peek...

The only one real bad event on the drive back is that I took a rock on the windshield passing through Chicago so now I have to get the windshield replaced with less than a week of ownership! Ugh! Oh well...

In any case, any feedback on exhaust upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I just took delivery of my Alpine White w/Navarro Brown M6 Convertible at the PDC in SC. Did the performance delivery, followed by the 2-Day M-School, and then drove her back to Milwaukee using only back roads and no cruise control. Big fun in the mountains! Almost broken in now at just under 1000 miles. I firmly believe it is impossible to fully appreciate the BMW product line without doing a PDC delivery or M-School to see/experience the cars in action on the track. The cars in the school (1M, M3, M5) are driven exceptionally hard every day and all they basically do is change the oil, rubber, and brakes....

Anyway, although the car sounds OK, I'm pretty sure I want to swap out the exhaust system for something with a little more aggressive note. I have been researching the Akrapovic and Meisterschaft solutions and I am wondering if anyone has any comparative feedback about the two products. Anyone seen/heard both? Direct experience with either is also appreciated!

BTW - The M6 Convertible is a real Cop magnet! Worse than my highly modified (read this as "loud") red Mustang! I got pulled over in Indiana (76 in 60) and it REALLY is difficult to keep her from taking off when NOT using the cruise control. No apologies, no excuses, and the guy only gave me a warning. However, his SECOND question after "License and Registration, please" was "What year is this? ;-)

Also had another cop hit the lights/siren on me passing through Milwaukee and I honestly though he just wanted to get around me (I don't think I was going that fast as I didn't even think to glance at the speedo), so I moved over to the middle lane to let him pass which he did, but he turned off the light/sound show after he got past me... Maybe he too just wanted a peek...

The only one real bad event on the drive back is that I took a rock on the windshield passing through Chicago so now I have to get the windshield replaced with less than a week of ownership! Ugh! Oh well...

In any case, any feedback on exhaust upgrades?
Nice experience. I am on the M school waiting list. I am sorry to hear about your windshield but I know the feeling. I clipped my right rear wheel going around a corner with a high curb. I underestimated the size of the curb and the car for that matter. The dealer fixed it up like new.

My exhaust is opening up as I put miles on the car and it is not just in M1/M2modes either. I also thought about the exhaust upgrade until the stock ones started to open up. Its whatever you are used to. Your stang sounds radical. I found the Akropovs a bit salty. Less expensive ones are likely to be out soon.

The way you took delivery is the best way to do it stateside. Congratulations. My two cents on the exhaust issue. Noushy dropped the trigger on a set of Akropovs. Seems to like them. He has a litttle micro review/experience with them you might want to check out.

Last edited by Stonehands; 11-19-2012 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Name change
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Thanks for the reply. I saw the review. I've also heard some sound clips but I expect audio played on a computer is not going to do much of anything justice. Even so, I do notice that the AP's are a bit raspier than what I might anticipate. Probably not going to get a deep rumble out of a high revving 4.4L engine in any case...

Thanks also for the info on the pipes opening up. Was this just after your first service (1200 Miles)? If so, maybe it is related to some of the "features" the dealer will enable at that point (like Launch Control)...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Thanks for the reply. I saw the review. I've also heard some sound clips but I expect audio played on a computer is not going to do much of anything justice. Even so, I do notice that the AP's are a bit raspier than what I might anticipate. Probably not going to get a deep rumble out of a high revving 4.4L engine in any case...

Thanks also for the info on the pipes opening up. Was this just after your first service (1200 Miles)? If so, maybe it is related to some of the "features" the dealer will enable at that point (like Launch Control)...
My dealer would most likely inform me of any feature enabling as they know how much I do not enjoy surprises and nondisclosures. That being said they are great.

This all did occur after the 1200 breakin, closer to 2000. My low speed shift back pressure barks are getting louder (I like for some reason). This vehicle will unlikely give you the classic V8 burble/rumble. In fact, I read some of the info from the engineer in charge of the motor. He states he deliberately designed it out of the engine. Something about the V8burble/rumble actually representing an inefficiency or "miss" in the mechanics. The current sound allegedly represents the cleaning up for lack of better expression of the typical V8.

In any event this engine/turbo setup will have the unique sound no matter what exhaust system you hook up to it. You can make it louder or slightly modify it but I doubt it will ever sound like an american muscle V8. Actually, I think it is a relief. The new unique sound could become a new trend. I have owned 4 camaros and a firebird of various types. Enough already!

At least wait til after the breakin before you pull the trigger on an $8K alternative. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Akrapovic

Just got mine back from the 1200 mile service and had the exhaust installed (Akrapovic Evolution Titanium). Too early to make any real comments but under throttle it sounds great and even hisses and pops a little like my previous Dinan M6 V10. I have to sit at my computer to upload some pics and a sound byte. Till then peace.
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Just got mine back from the 1200 mile service and had the exhaust installed (Akrapovic Evolution Titanium). Too early to make any real comments but under throttle it sounds great and even hisses and pops a little like my previous Dinan M6 V10. I have to sit at my computer to upload some pics and a sound byte. Till then peace.
s..

Waiting for video/pics/sound....with anticipation.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Posted a quick audio clip under the heading Brilliant White Metallic. Stonehands message me and I will try and make a video clip for you and email it. I am working tonight but can do it tomorrow. BTW the sound changes over time as the packing breaks in, it actually gets a little throatier.

Noushy
Appreciate 0