09-27-2016, 04:35 AM   #1
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Tyres

Morning guys,

Can i have your thoughts on changing rears to non-runflat while having runflats at front but are of same brand and tread pattern?

Its a hard decision, i changed all 4's on my e90 to non-run flat on bigger wider wheels and it was best decision i made. Of course actually getting a flat will end your day very quickly.

Do you think it might be better to just stick to matched set of run-flats, i've never experienced driving run flats with a puncture so will it end my day just as quickly?

640d on 20inch wheels.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Either do all or do not do it all, simply put.

Beyond the obvious the ride and handling could be odd possibly dangerous and furthermore if your insurer is still one of those that gets "funny" over not being OEM spec then you are landing yourself with more issues.

In honesty whilst I know the ride is harsher RFT's at least for the roads I drive on whilst they are potholed in places the ability to keep driving albeit more slowly in places is a godsend.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Thanks for the advise, i didnt think it made a huge difference when tread pattern is the same. I thought the car would get heavier and more planted at the rear. That said i can see how it might snap out around a bend.

RFT it is then! Is everyone sticking to dunlop which i think is the factory fitting ?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 03:57 AM   #4
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

In honesty over tread pattern some cars are very sensitive others not so. In regards to my comments about handling the sidewalls on a non RFT are going to be significantly softer than the RFT so could produce handling characteristics that are unwanted. The power may go easier down if the non RFT on the rear, but the RFT up front might be less willing to play ball.

At least on depth and due to a bulge, cut and puncture on three tyres I did the fourth out of wear and noticing a small cut under the insurance for the fact all had then been replaced...like any RFT they seem more open to damage sadly.

You really have three choices in our staggered 20" RFT size:

Bridgestone (version escapes me)
Dunlop Sportmaxx GT (Factory fit)
Pirelli Pzero

Either way come 4 weeks time mine will be running 17's and Winter boots...time to hit the 55 profile hahaha!
Appreciate 1