BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RX8, Alfa Romeo GTV, 640d GC

Extended warraty

As you guys know, I recently bought the GC. Anyway, just wondering, this car was previous an AUC and the warranty is running out soon. The previous owner supplied me with the letter he got from BMW which included the Vehicle Registration, Login Name, PIN number, Policy Number and Expiry Date. If I were to renew it, I assume the warranty will be carried over to the new owner (i.e. me?) It is quite good actually because when I checked online, the warranty is available with £0 excess which didn't seem to be available with the other cars I checked. Not sure why.

Also, I noticed that the letter said: ** BMW Service Inclusive provides scheduled service for 5 years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first) at BMW Service Authorized Workshops; maintenance items (e.g. tyres, brake pads) not covered not transferable to another vehicle. <b>Please note 2nd brake fluid change not included.<b> I take it the engine oil on idrive is not the "brake fluid" right? In fact, I am not sure if brake fluids are checked on iDrive ?

Finally, can I buy a service pack after the original one has expired? I phoned up BMW and they said that I can't but we get an automatic 12% discount or something ??

Unless specifically mentioned, the
benefits and exclusions within each
section, apply to the insured
vehicle.

That is what it says in the PDF file I see.

Last edited by AceCobra1; 04-24-2016 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640

Hi

Congrats on the new car. Start a thread with a few photos when you can, I bet you've had a great weekend,

The warranty will need to be cancelled and re taken out again however as its not lapsed I don't see why there should be any change of price etc. Just give them a bell

Bear in mind that the excess is per visit not per fix, so if you take your car in and it needs new suspension, a new light and a new sensor the excess is only charged once, for some reason I always thought it was per item until mine was in for a load of work last year

service packs cannot be renewed after the 5 years, surely yours is good till next year tho mate so after that your looking at 2019 for the next service as long as you squeeze a free one in before it runs out, oil service and brake fluid are both listed on idrive

Now you've got the car, first thing to do is fit m performance front grilles, they look so much better with them ��
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus123 View Post
Now you've got the car, first thing to do is fit m performance front grilles, they look so much better with them ��
Thanks Rufus - will post them up at some point.

Do you have an image of them grills - I thought it looks alright as it is. It has the 20" alloys which was the main thing on my "bucket list"
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Here you go, crappy photo but on a white gran coupe it makes it look so much more meaner
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Those alloys are nice by the way, looked on BMWs site and they were a 2.6k option !!!!! So I bet there's not many about

Also download the BMW Laptimer app if you have a iPhone, and also the BMW remote app

The Laptimer let's you time 0 - 60 times and the remote let's you turn on lights with your iPhone, turn on the venilation system while your in the house and track your car via the inbuilt SIM card within 3 miles if ever anyone pinches it

Then get Adam to code you in m6 active sound, and the other bits you want doing

Lots to do haha, but a lot of fun mate

Last edited by Rufus123; 04-24-2016 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Rufus,

I have an android based phone - I have downloaded the BMW Remote App but it says I need to register an account? Do I need to phone in for it? Isn't that the £120 subscription for this app to actually work ?

Also, the M Performance Grill is the kidney things ? I think mine is silver kidney beans? If it is just black and white I thought looks bit too racey for a diesel At the moment it is quite "refined". Can you send me a link of the grills you talking about on ebay or something? Would it invalidate any warranties if I went to change those grills ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCobra1 View Post
Hi Rufus,

I have an android based phone - I have downloaded the BMW Remote App but it says I need to register an account? Do I need to phone in for it? Isn't that the £120 subscription for this app to actually work ?

Also, the M Performance Grill is the kidney things ? I think mine is silver kidney beans? If it is just black and white I thought looks bit too racey for a diesel At the moment it is quite "refined". Can you send me a link of the grills you talking about on ebay or something? Would it invalidate any warranties if I went to change those grills ?
Hi mate no registering is just inputting you vin number and email address, BMW then send a text to your car idrive with a PIN number to prove its your car then it's free to use for as long as you own the car

The features are .... Lights on via iPhone - not massively useful but a nice toy......

Ventilate the car via iPhone ..... This is useful in summer, do it ten mins before you set off and your cabins not boiling hot when you get in. This doesn't turn on heaters tho so is useless in winter

And finally if you lock your keys in the car ( if your cars set to lock doors after 5 mins of ignition and you leave them in at the car wash or when your getting a mot ) then you can unlock the car with iPhone, you do however also need to ring them on a number they send to your iPhone for ID check if you want to unlock without keys

Also it includes a basic tracker that can pinpoint your car real time within 3 miles of your iPhone, so useful if it gets nicked, as most thieves park cars up near the house to wait and see if it's got a tracker, had 3 cars nicked and all were found near my house so I see this as an invaluable feature mate

The grills look great on white cars but that's all personal preference, the BMW ones have silver round the edges but the slats are black, there 100 quid from the dealer, I preferred all black, and were 70 squid from eBay, I just got the dealer to fit them, which was 20 quid but my car was being serviced at the time so it's prob much more if you just want grills done. I like em, some don't, just a nice mod if it's for you. Stuff like that doesn't invalidate warranties
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #8
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

The Laptimer app is so much better

It records your 0-60 times on a drive.. All of them

Dans got the record with 4.6 seconds

I've got to 4.8 but my tyres are 2 mill now so switching to super sports soon and I think us gran Coupe lads will be a few tenths behind as were carrying a little more weight

Oh and if your headlights do what mine did in the picture, it's a 4 grand repair under warranty, and it's common mate, so make sure you take that warranty out
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The Laptimer app is so much better

It records your 0-60 times on a drive.. All of them

Dans got the record with 4.6 seconds

I've got to 4.8 but my tyres are 2 mill now so switching to super sports soon and I think us gran Coupe lads will be a few tenths behind as were carrying a little more weight

Oh and if your headlights do what mine did in the picture, it's a 4 grand repair under warranty, and it's common mate, so make sure you take that warranty out
Is that fogging headlights ??
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Is that fogging headlights ??
Yeah, dealer dried them out last time but they have done it again this month and since it's not particularly humid the dealer replaced both
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

I forgot to say, when I phoned up the BMW warranty which I think is Mondial, they basically said that the policy holder i.e. the previous owner needed to call them up to transfer the warranty over. There was some sort of policy booklet I was told but he said he gave everything he had to me and I can't find any warranty booklet. So the previous owner called up both Mondial and BMW. He was told that the warranty was not transferable and as you rightly said, it needs to be cancelled?? and I need to inform them that the car is now sold and that I need to take a new warranty out? Does that mean the excess that the guy was offered which was £0 will not be offered to me even though technically, his warranty doesn't expire until next month ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #12
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to say, when I phoned up the BMW warranty which I think is Mondial, they basically said that the policy holder i.e. the previous owner needed to call them up to transfer the warranty over. There was some sort of policy booklet I was told but he said he gave everything he had to me and I can't find any warranty booklet. So the previous owner called up both Mondial and BMW. He was told that the warranty was not transferable and as you rightly said, it needs to be cancelled?? and I need to inform them that the car is now sold and that I need to take a new warranty out? Does that mean the excess that the guy was offered which was £0 will not be offered to me even though technically, his warranty doesn't expire until next month ?
No you'll still get an option of zero, 150 and 250 mate

i always do 150 anyway as its several hundred cheaper and I usually only have one prob a year with BMWs...

How much was he paying out of interest??

Did you have the dealers check it out ??
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #13
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No you'll still get an option of zero, 150 and 250 mate

i always do 150 anyway as its several hundred cheaper and I usually only have one prob a year with BMWs...

How much was he paying out of interest??

Did you have the dealers check it out ??
Actually, when I phoned up the 2nd day, the guy said that they were too busy but did offer for me to drive in and wait but as the car was an AUC and the owner seemed to really took care of it, I just thought I'll take a chance - I will of course be buying the warranty again but I was just thinking if I can get a £0 excess option ? When I checked the renewal under his logins etc from the letter, it was £1033 I think for the year with £0 excess. Should I phone up Mondial or BMW to renew you think ? Just tell them I am the new owner? I was told that the warranty isn't transferable so should I just open a new one immediately ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #14
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Actually, when I phoned up the 2nd day, the guy said that they were too busy but did offer for me to drive in and wait but as the car was an AUC and the owner seemed to really took care of it, I just thought I'll take a chance - I will of course be buying the warranty again but I was just thinking if I can get a £0 excess option ? When I checked the renewal under his logins etc from the letter, it was £1033 I think for the year with £0 excess. Should I phone up Mondial or BMW to renew you think ? Just tell them I am the new owner? I was told that the warranty isn't transferable so should I just open a new one immediately ?
Yeah that sounds about right, my 7 series was 117 a month so 1033 seems reasonable, I'd ring them and take it out ASAP ( Mondial ). Just so they can't say it lapsed, as it gets more expensive if it does
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #15
AceCobra1
Private First Class
Rep

For some reason, I got an error:

The vehicle cannot be added to your account on the portal.

A message with a security code cannot currently be sent to your vehicle.

Your vehicle can only be added to your account by contacting BMW ConnectedDrive Customer Support. For security reasons, authentication is required for this. First please print out the application form. With this and your vehicle registration document, you can prove your identity to BMW ConnectedDrive Customer Support.

I have tried it when I parked outside my work where there will be a phone signal and at the moment, the car is in an underground carpark where mobile signal is unlikely
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #16
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For some reason, I got an error:

The vehicle cannot be added to your account on the portal.

A message with a security code cannot currently be sent to your vehicle.

Your vehicle can only be added to your account by contacting BMW ConnectedDrive Customer Support. For security reasons, authentication is required for this. First please print out the application form. With this and your vehicle registration document, you can prove your identity to BMW ConnectedDrive Customer Support.

I have tried it when I parked outside my work where there will be a phone signal and at the moment, the car is in an underground carpark where mobile signal is unlikely
Makes sense, the car will still be on their computer registered to the last owner mate so they want to make sure your not a scammer

Give em a bell, they just need your new details to update their system
Appreciate 1