BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
nyy13lal24dal9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' M6 Gran Coupe

Anyone have success removing mirror caps?

Im buying carbon fiber mirror caps and I wanted to try to install them myself. I heard its not difficult on the m6 it just takes a screwdriver and you pop the clips. Anyone ever try and succeed?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

We've done plenty

We suggest using the plastic pry tool to unclip the tabs. This way you don't scratch the paint!

If I recall... There's 4 total tabs? 2 top and 2 bottom.

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

You can pop them off with your hands. Put your two thumbs on the mirror cover part along the top of the mirror. Now put down and towards the front of the car and the mirror cover should pop off.

You are pushing down to release the clip and you are pushing forward to separate the mirror cover from the mirror base. Once you get this part popped off the rest will come off very easy. Now just install the carbon fiber covers in the reverse order.

Btw... I really hope you got the OEM carbon fiber covers from BMW because none of the 3rd party covers fit worth a damn. I've bought them and tried and ended up breaking clips because they just don't fit.

Brian
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
I checked CF mirror caps on my M6 GC order. I think they might do it at VPC stateside, not sure. So there's a chance when I take Euro delivery the caps will be blue, but by the time it gets home it will be CF. Which is OK, as I'm too lazy/uncoordinated to be sure I could do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab
I checked CF mirror caps on my M6 GC order. I think they might do it at VPC stateside, not sure. So there's a chance when I take Euro delivery the caps will be blue, but by the time it gets home it will be CF. Which is OK, as I'm too lazy/uncoordinated to be sure I could do it myself.
Same with mine.

Although I'm starting to regret it. Since I went frozen black, I'm starting to think it may have looked better with FB caps rather than CF. :
      06-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Same with mine.

Although I'm starting to regret it. Since I went frozen black, I'm starting to think it may have looked better with FB caps rather than CF. :
I wasn't going to do them, and I was going to go with a surface other than CF for the interior; but then I thought it would look best, given the big exposed CF roof, to carry that into the interior rather than take up another surface like wood or piano black (which people also say scratches like a mother), and then I figured what the hell, I'll do the CF mirrors to link those. Some imaginary purist part of me thought it was better just to do CF only where there was a legit, functional "weight savings in structural piece" motive; but then I realized nobody cares about my imaginary functionality, and it would look cool, so just do it. I think it will look cool and integrate the roof better with the rest of the car.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Quote:
Same with mine.

Hold the line! CF mirror caps will look great with FB. You need something to tie the roof into the FB (I think anyway). WhereTH is that damn car anyway.....?
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

Quote:
Same with mine.

The caps will look great on FB, especially if you get more CF goodies

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #9
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremepower
Quote:
Same with mine.

The caps will look great on FB, especially if you get more CF goodies
Touché!
      06-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladiatorOwner
Quote:
Same with mine.

Hold the line! CF mirror caps will look great with FB. You need something to tie the roof into the FB (I think anyway). WhereTH is that damn car anyway.....?
That...is an excellent question.

Last week, she was supposed to have left port Bremerhaven. (Virgo leader) however no tracking info on it has populated, and according to my CA and the 800 reps, she's still at the port, now awaiting the Triton Leader. (Leaves July 4th)

Who knows if there was some sort of overbooking- but I better get this next one!!

***Edit****
NVM!

Just found out it made it on the boat!!!!
      06-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

Anyone mind posting of pic or two of the installed cf mirror caps? I have some on the way and haven't seen them installed yet. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
HoustonRider
big pimpin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC and 2015 4 GC

I had a truck hit something in the road and knock one of mine off for me, didn't take but a half second and it was gone!

Lol. But yeah they pop off, look for the parts schematic and it will show you were the tabs are to pry it off
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #13
2007 to 2016 M6 Cab
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition HS

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrian View Post
You can pop them off with your hands. Put your two thumbs on the mirror cover part along the top of the mirror. Now put down and towards the front of the car and the mirror cover should pop off.

You are pushing down to release the clip and you are pushing forward to separate the mirror cover from the mirror base. Once you get this part popped off the rest will come off very easy. Now just install the carbon fiber covers in the reverse order.

Btw... I really hope you got the OEM carbon fiber covers from BMW because none of the 3rd party covers fit worth a damn. I've bought them and tried and ended up breaking clips because they just don't fit.

Brian
I did the BMW Performance Bin CF mirror caps ... took the dealer all of 30 sec to pop both of them off with their tool ... with a very loud and scary SNAP ... I would assume if you ordered them through BMW they would just pop the originals off for you as it really didn't take them long ... I'd ask your dealer REALLY NICE as not everyone could be as big as BIGBRIAN .. Sorry Brian .. Just putting it out there ... me and my my dripping 139 lbs of tooth extraction muscles is fearfull of BIG BRIAN's Size and Heavily Mod'd car!!! ... not to mention doing some damage to the mirror housing
2016 M6 Cabrio, 2015 GLK 250 Bluetec, 2007 M6 Cab, 2011 S63 Amg, 2008 S450, 2006 330xi, 1998 Z24, 2002 Chev Suburban

Last edited by 2007 to 2016 M6 Cab; 06-29-2015 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
nyy13lal24dal9
Private
United_States
Rep

Thought I would share this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #15
nyy13lal24dal9
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Brian
When you say push with your two thumbs which part of the mirror do you place your thumbs on? Is it the black trim part or the actual cover.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #16
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 to 2016 M6 Cab View Post
:

I did the BMW Performance Bin CF mirror caps ... took the dealer all of 30 sec to pop both of them off with their tool ... with a very loud and scary SNAP ... I would assume if you ordered them through BMW they would just pop the originals off for you as it really didn't take them long ... I'd ask your dealer REALLY NICE as not everyone could be as big as BIGBRIAN .. Sorry Brian .. Just putting it out there ... me and my my dripping 139 lbs of tooth extraction muscles is fearfull of BIG BRIAN's Size and Heavily Mod'd car!!! ... not to mention doing some damage to the mirror housing
I actually really laughed out loud reading this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy13lal24dal9 View Post
When you say push with your two thumbs which part of the mirror do you place your thumbs on? Is it the black trim part or the actual cover.
The actual cover. You will be pushing down on the cover and also pushing forward towards the front of the car.

If you look at the photo nyy13lal24dal9 posted above (reference pic 1 and 2) this is where I am talking about using your two thumbs. In this picture the guy is using one thumb and also separating/prying the opening. I didn't have to pry the opening, I just applied more pressure with two thumbs (instead of one) and pushed it right off.

Once it pops off you are going to think "oh shit that was easy!"

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #17
nyy13lal24dal9
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Brian
Have you ever tried the ones from Autotecknic?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #18
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy13lal24dal9 View Post
Have you ever tried the ones from Autotecknic?
Yes, I just cleaned out my garage and threw them away. I bought them in the beginning and broke the clips trying to get them to fit. I even took them down to one of the master tech's at the local bmw dealership and had him try to install them. We both came to the conclusion there is simply no way they would properly fit on the car. I wasted a good amount of money (and frustration) on them. I wound up ordering the OEM carbon fiber caps from BMW and they fit perfect.

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #19
nyy13lal24dal9
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I just cleaned out my garage and threw them away. I bought them in the beginning and broke the clips trying to get them to fit. I even took them down to one of the master tech's at the local bmw dealership and had him try to install them. We both came to the conclusion there is simply no way they would properly fit on the car. I wasted a good amount of money (and frustration) on them. I wound up ordering the OEM carbon fiber caps from BMW and they fit perfect.

Brian
They're a big waste of money of money and both of us found out the hard way. I did just order the OEM ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #20
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
Okay....I'm am trying my hardest to get my mirror covers off. How much pressure do I need to use? I feel like I'm going to break the mirror.

Maybe I'm not pressing on the right area. I'm pressing down on the top of the cover, near the point where it touches the actual mirror base.

Push down hard and pull at the same time?

I was just going to have the dealership do it for me, but said they needed at least an hour and a half of labor in order to accomplish it (yes, sounds like massive BS to me).
Appreciate 0