08-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #45
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl
You'll be pleased to know that all the UK test have still called the F30 best in class and by far the most dynamic drive on the market.

However, you should also remember that BMW haven't used the slogan "The Ultimate Driving Machine" for some time ...
They still use it here in the US. "we only make one thing, the Ultimate Driving Machine..."
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #46
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames
My wife would leave me if I was seen in an Audi. She's not into someone sliding down the ladder of success.

BJ
Sounds like a line out of a bad 80's movie.

I think you need a new ladder.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #47
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Sounds like a line out of a bad 80's movie.

I think you need a new ladder.
+1

If you want to talk about being a badge whore, I don't see how Audis are considered going down the ladder....I still look at Audi as being higher up than Cadillac/Infiniti/and even Lexus. Lexus only has presence in the US and Canada....everywhere else in the world (even their home market in Japan) is meh. Audi is practically knocking on BMWs door sales wise and if they keep it up I will be going over to Audi as well since I prize handling/sport over luxury and being a badge whore.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #48
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

The 6 GC is an astonishing work of art. People who can afford a 6 GC will choose a 6 GC over the A7.

The A7 is a nice car, but its not amazing. The 6 GC is stunning. Its the kind of car that you fall in love with every time you walk up to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #49
Holland Harry
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe, Z1

As I was driving a 7 series I did think of buying a Audi A8 but with all respect I would never swap my 640d GC for a A7. This car is a level lower and will compete with the 4 series GC which is to come. Not with a 6!

But I can identify with the complains on behalf of BMW. Way to soft,to heavy and not sporty enough anymore but than maybe that is the spirit of this time and everything is focused on comfort and fuel consumption!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #50
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Then how do you explain the test numbers
0-60 is a meaningless number when you're comparing AWD to RWD... other numbers don't show much of a difference. and look at the M5/S6 comparo, the M5 smokes it in the quarter and above 100mph+, which really is where you'll see the benefit of all that power.
      08-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #51
gehmjc21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i X drive

I guess I really never understood why people bash Audi and others bash BMW. Both make unbelievable automobiles, and we should be so lucky to drive cars that the vast majority of people dream about owning.

With that being said I quite honestly like both. I had an e92 335i and loved the car. From there I jumped to a 2010 S4 because I needed the AWD. I absolutely loved that car, and it runs circles around the old & new 335. And that doesn't mean the 335 is a bad car but the S4 was a step above. Now I'm getting back to BMW in the new 6er. I miss having a coupe and I wanted something a little more GT.

I too was looking at a new 335i xdrive for my wife, fully loaded about $57k. I decided to look at the new A6 for her instead. Same price for a loaded prem plus with audi's sport package. I got a '12 for a steal and she loves it. Is it as good as a 335 m sport? I don't know, to each is own. However I will admit Audi's MMI system does circles around the current i drive. Now that doesn't mean that BMW won't step their game up, but then again the B&O system in my 6er is mindblowing.

Okay, that's my $.02, I actually enjoy the arguing back and forth, entertaining for a Friday!
F10 550xi retired
F01 750xi
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #52
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

It is interesting to read these comparisons because here in Europe the outcome is very different. Which begs the question do Audi just make dynamic cars for the US market?

Even though current Audi's featured in tests between the M5 and 6er Gran Coupe have been dismissed in europe as average drivers cars. As per the Audi norm.

Should BMW be concerned?
No, because our engineers and developers develop cars from the ground-up and are passionate about driving , This is not we have a spare platform that needs used from VW , Lamborghini etc will you take it?

Each BMW model reflects that engineers who loves driving philosophy.
For anyone to say that the new BMW 3er is no longer the ultimate choice for keen drivers needs to look at how in europe how the car has considerably widened the gap between the current C-Klasse and A4 in everyway possible.
      08-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #53
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Drive both cars.

Buy the one you like the most.

Read magazines for fun.

Then go enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #54
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'd never buy that god-awful open-mouthed Audi.
Yes - that gaping black mouth stuffed with a huge top-to-bottom grill kills Audi for me. Other than the ugly front, I actually like their cars. The 2013 S4, for example, is awesome (ignoring the nose).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #55
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

well isn't their supercharged 3.0 the range topping engine for that car?

it's like their best against our worst. doesn't bother me.

it's like when they think they're so cool comparing the s4 to the 335. it's their "sport" model against our.. well whatever you call the 335. they should either beef up the s4 to compete with the m3 or shut their mouths and take the s badge off.
      08-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #56
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

I SERIOUSLY HATE AUDI. WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE.

it's terrible that i'm actually so angry about this.
      08-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #57
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryce View Post

Take easy on yourself man... Why do you think BMW is expanding the M line to the regular series lines? The M135i is just the beginning. Soon we will have an MXXXi models on all the lines so C&D can get off BMW's ass. BTW C&D is partial to Audi in all of its comparisons.
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #58
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC , 2016 X5M

I read the reveiw and I think they only reason the A7 won is because it's cheaper not because it's vastly superior to the GC. IMO the GC style alone is more than enough for me to justify the extra grands BMW is asking and that's coming from someone who almost bought an S7.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #59
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

The thoughts of someone who bought their first BMW in 1985 . . .

Quote:
well isn't their supercharged 3.0 the range topping engine for that car?

it's like their best against our worst. doesn't bother me.

it's like when they think they're so cool comparing the s4 to the 335. it's their "sport" model against our.. well whatever you call the 335. they should either beef up the s4 to compete with the m3 or shut their mouths and take the s badge off.
Audi's 3.0 is equivalent to BMW's bigger six cylinder models. Their S is equivalent to BMW's eight. Their RS is equivalent to BMW's M. So the S4 competes with the 335. The A7 competes with the 640GC and the new S7 competes with the 650GC.

Quote:

I know, but as a great American capitalist, I've got to give credit to the come from behind upstart. BMW seems to be moving more toward the traditional MB buyer (sport luxury) and Audi seems to be moving more toward the traditional BMW buyer (luxury sport).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyGeeGee View Post
I read the reveiw and I think they only reason the A7 won is because it's cheaper not because it's vastly superior to the GC. IMO the GC style alone is more than enough for me to justify the extra grands BMW is asking and that's coming from someone who almost bought an S7.
Not so. Look at the scoring chart. Even if you exclude the points for price, the A7 comes out on top.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #60
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep

This is one of the best comments that I read over at C&D :

"despite what a C&D comparison concludes. Objective things like A7’s 0-60, or the GC's faster Slalom? Got it( and honestly a few tens is not a "deal breaker" for me LOL). If I cared about performance I wound not buy a two ton car. I would opt for an M3 or a 911. And Yes I would not mind paying more for the Gran coupe its more exclusive, and to me its nicer inside and out. I was actually invited to drive both cars recently, and the “quantifiable” differences are indistinguishable in the REAL WORLD. So I would pick the one that felt better, was more fun, and had the more beautiful interior and exterior to me, the GC…B/C I can guarantee you no one will buy these cars for track days, or drag racing, ha-ha. Judging by all your posts on here I think it’s safe to say your just a lounge chair "enthusiast", and frankly quite obnoxious..I hope you don’t represent all Audi fans : ). So you can waste your time tooting your Audi horn on here, and recite C&D results it like its scripture. I test drove them and formed my own opinion. I like the BMW. "
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #61
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyGeeGee View Post
This is one of the best comments that I read over at C&D :
Difference of opinion = "obnoxious". One of the best comments you've read? Really?

I've been driving BMWs for longer than many on this forum have been alive. I've heard all the crap about putting a stick in a car the size of a 5 (and a 7). I've listened to all the smack about C/D being paid off by BMW for years and years and years of first place finishes. And guess what? Over all that time, BMW just made a better car than everyone else. The only thing that's surprising is that it took another car company so long to copy what BMW has been doing all this time.

But if you still prefer BMW (as I do), that's cool. But let's be mature and give credit where it's due. Audi's doing a great job right now. I hope my favorite car company is looking in their rear view mirror.

Last edited by hinckley; 08-29-2012 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #62
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Difference of opinion = "obnoxious". One of the best comments you've read? Really?

I've been driving BMWs for longer than many on this forum have been alive. I've heard all the crap about putting a stick in a car the size of a 5 (and a 7). I've listened to all the smack about C/D being paid off by BMW for years and years and years of first place finishes. And guess what? Over all that time, BMW just made a better car than everyone else. The only thing that's surprising is that it took another car company so long to copy what BMW has been doing all this time.

But if you still prefer BMW (as I do), that's cool. But let's be mature and give credit where it's due. Audi's doing a great job right now. I hope my favorite car company is looking in their rear view mirror.
Are you questioning my opinion of someone's else opinion? Really?.

The reason I liked that comment because many people form their opinion based on reviews and not by testing each car. I'm a big BMW fan but that didn't stop me from trying other cars and forming my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #63
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

These cars are more than performance and luxury taken alone! It's about the entire concept.
A7 and CLS are not so impressive compared to 6 GC! And I also think that BMW wanted to be near Panamera with this car, not near Audi and Merc!

At the end of the day is good to have many great options to choose from!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #64
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

LCI A4 is a big joke near the F30 3series
Appreciate 0