BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 640i GC

Garage List
Talking Coded Anti-Dazzle / Glarefree HBA on my F06 640!!

Hi all,

Just wanted to share that I finally managed to code the Glarefree Hi-beam Assistant aka Anti Dazzle HBA option on my GC. If you are interested on this stuff, must likely you know that this option is not available in USA, but some other forum members have been able to code this on 3, 4, 5, 7 series; but on the 6 series it was never done before...at least as far as I know. Reason why it has been so difficult on the 6 series is because this option is not offered on our cars, not even in Europe, whereas for the other series this option exists but BMW just disables it for US-bound cars. So maybe... just maybe, my car is the first 6 series in the world with this option enabled (most likely not!)

With a lot of help and information from many knowledgeable forum members from "the other forum" I was able to code this.

If you are into coding, or would like somebody else to do this for your car, this is what I did (copied from my post from BF):

Removed 8S4 from my FA and VO coded FRM and KAFAS2.

in FRM coded:

C_AFS_ENA: F001enable, F010enable, F025enable [01]
C_HBA_ENA: F001enable, F010enable, F025enable [01]
LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y: F001Codierwert mit AFS, F010Codierwert mit AFS, F025mit_AFS [9C 9C 9C]
C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA default value is werte 00, I changed it to werte 01
C_HBA_GRHB_ENA default value is werte 00, I changed it to werte 01
*credit to mvaccaro for sharing the 3 first options!

I haven't been able to do additional checks on the coding but after comparing my before and after CAFDs it seems like VO coding the removal of 8S4 doesn't make any change. So probably just coding the 5 things listed above + removing 8S4 might work as well.

It's really amazing to see this working. Here's a short video I shot last night. Sorry for the shaky images, but I did it myself holding my phone with one hand while I driving with the other. Most likely you won't be able to see the lights moving from side to side, but you can at least see on my dash that HBA is active all the time (green icon) and the high beam is engaged most of the time (blue icon) and it stays on while there is oncoming traffic on the left and also how the left hi bean is dipping and shifting again to hi after the oncoming traffic has passed. The same happens when I approach other cars from behind, the high beam stays on while re-shaping itself to make a tunnel that will not blind the driver in front.

Feel free to ask if any questions

Last edited by DR1er; 06-26-2014 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Niklas
Private
Rep
Drives: San Marino M6

That is pretty damn cool, hi beam assistant comes as standard when you choose the adaptive LED headlights option here in the UK on the 6.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It is really cool! in US is the same: when you order Lighting Package, which brings the LED headlights, you also get high beam assistant; but here we get a basic HBA which only turns on and off the high beams based on traffic ahead or oncoming. In Europe you get the much more advanced "Anti-dazzle HBA" which keeps the high beams on most of the time and individually adjusts each headlight based on traffic so to not dazzle the other drivers. BUT my understanding is that the 6 Series cars do not come with this option, not even in Europe. I have researched quite a lot on the internet and asked several people at BMW Welt when I picked up my car during ED and everybody I asked confirmed that the 6 series does not have the Anti-dazzle HBA yet.

check this video to get a better idea what this function does and verify if in fact you have it in your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas View Post
That is pretty damn cool, hi beam assistant comes as standard when you choose the adaptive LED headlights option here in the UK on the 6.

Last edited by DR1er; 06-27-2014 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Niklas
Private
Rep
Drives: San Marino M6

Ahh i seee, that kinda sucks that you guys get the basic option of the high beam assistant

That video does explain the feature very well, im still waiting for mine to be delivered but i will let you know as soon as it arrives

I am pretty sure we get it here in the uk cos when i read the description of the HBA it did outline those features as mentioned in the video.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Current UK 6's don't have the full active high beam assist, just auto main/dipped beam. It's supposed to be coming soon though.
Appreciate 1
drmdvl55.50
      06-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas View Post
Ahh i seee, that kinda sucks that you guys get the basic option of the high beam assistant

That video does explain the feature very well, im still waiting for mine to be delivered but i will let you know as soon as it arrives

I am pretty sure we get it here in the uk cos when i read the description of the HBA it did outline those features as mentioned in the video.
Let's hope they have started to include it. It will be great to hear the good news after you receive your car!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
Current UK 6's don't have the full active high beam assist, just auto main/dipped beam. It's supposed to be coming soon though.
That's what I've found out so far... not available in any country for the 6 series, which doesn't make sense at all because the 3, 4, 5, 7 (and probably the 2) series all have it!!

When I did ED, one of the guys at the Welt told me that probably on the LCI the 6 will get it. But as I said on the OP, I coded it on a 2014 640 GC. I'm pretty sure you guys should be able to do the same as long as you have the KAFAS camera in your cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
JKing3
Rep
Drives: E90

DR1er,

What is your 6 spec? Year? F06? LED non LED? I can't seem to find these in my FRM caf file after removing 8S4.

J
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's a 2014 Jan build F06 640i M Sport Edition, so it has LED and I also have Driver Assistance+ so LDW, Blindspot monitoring, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKing3 View Post
DR1er,

What is your 6 spec? Year? F06? LED non LED? I can't seem to find these in my FRM caf file after removing 8S4.

J
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

It is NOT yet here in the UK, my car was built week 37/8 and still not on it
yet the brochure printed in march states it has it
and so does the Maintenance hand book I have with my new M6 GC CP.
I have approached BMW about this fault.
      12-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #11
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

I just coded mine...cant wait night to check all functons.
Appreciate 1
J. Dub354.00
      01-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
JKing3
Rep

Deda How did it go?

I just picked up a 2015 650xi, LED's and have removed 8s4. I havent done the FRM coding yet...

J
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Watching the video it shows that the Selective Beam or whatever you want to call it is NOT working fully. The dip beam moves around but the high beam is still either on or off, it's not creating a tunnel at all.

I've tried to code this and I get the same result. AFAIK no one has managed to code the full selective high beam assist on a 6 series.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
Watching the video it shows that the Selective Beam or whatever you want to call it is NOT working fully. The dip beam moves around but the high beam is still either on or off, it's not creating a tunnel at all.

I've tried to code this and I get the same result. AFAIK no one has managed to code the full selective high beam assist on a 6 series.
Yes this is correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #15
JKing3
Rep

I agree. So, Its using the coding of variable light, that's it. (removing 8s4), and the tunnel isn't getting created regardless if GRHB or SHUT is enabled.

I think this is because the 6 series doesn't have the shutters in the LED headlamps...

J
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
Nagromalg3
Rep
Drives: 640d MSport

I really hope you guys are wrong about the anti-dazzle high-beam and LED combo not working on the current 6 series! I'm receiving mine Thursday or Friday and was really looking forward to that bit the most! It's a June 2014 build.

Anyways when I receive it I'll let everyone know if it works :/
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #17
JKing3
Rep

This is a longer video of what DR1er posted.

I still don't see the tunnel. Anyone else?

J
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #18
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

True,it doesnt work as we imagine it will wirk after coding..i have also X5 F15 and there is a "tunnel"...first i was sad,now i live with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #19
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
About the only thing that's changed on the 'new 2015 M6' is the design of the lights, maybe the new versions will support Selective Beam.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #20
Nagromalg3
Rep
Drives: 640d MSport

the new model, at least here in the UK, will have this anti-dazzle high-beam according to:
http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehic...iordesign.html

Maybe I should of waited a few months before getting my 6 series but don't think I could of xD Anyways, I prefer the look of the older style half circular Full LED lights, it's just unfortunate they didn't come with "BMW Selective Beam" as standard - especially considering the price of the car and the price of the Full LED option!

Extra annoying for me as I do a lot of night driving and specifically got the LED and HBA thinking it came with this, the UK BMW website was very deceptive about this in the description: "BMW Adaptive Headlights and High-beam Assistant functionalities ensure optimum illumination of the road ahead without glaring on-coming traffic and other road users through independent beam control, distribution and cornering lights." It then shows the anti-glare high-beam video next to this description allowing the viewer to think the 6 series comes with this ability :@

Last edited by Nagromalg3; 01-24-2015 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #21
DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hi all, been away from the forums for quite some time!

So here's what I've learned after I created this thread (I've been discussing with other members by PM and other threads though, but haven't updated it here): our cars do not have the full GFHBA like the 7, 5 and 3 models have it; but also when you code the options I coded, you not only get VLD but you get a "partial" (just to try to use some term for it) GFHBA and this is why I say partial:

1-The high beams will "engage" and "stay" engaged while there is oncoming and/or preceding traffic and when I say engage in this case, I'm referring to the blue HB icon on the dash. You can see in my video that it lights on and stays on most of the time even around traffic.

Also, when my "partial GFHBA" engages, the passengers side headlight clearly moves up and to the right (I have more illumination of the right hand-side sidewalk and the road signs on the right side) and the drivers side moves a bit more to the center.

2-The headlights DO move independently when the car detects oncoming or preceding traffic, but they do it only side to side. If you pay close attention to the longest video I uploaded (posted above) you can see it several times.

And just to clarify, the two behaviors mentioned above are not part of Variable Light Distribution. VLD reacts only based on your car's speed and whether you have fog lights on or off in order to change the pattern of the light beam. e.g wide or narrow and long or short, You can easily see VLD in action as soon as you start driving - right after ~25 mph - your low beams will move inwards and concentrate the light beam in front of the car and when you get to a stop you can see how the lights go back to their "original" position. Also if you have VLD enabled, when you put your car in Reverse you can see how both headlights concentrate the light beam right in front of the car (similar to when reach S25 mph) and when you put it in Drive or in Park, they move back to the original position

Despite all of this, I can definitely agree that the full GFHBA is not active in our cars because even if that blue HB icon is ON on the dash, the high beams are not really active. You can tell the difference because when there is no traffic around you, then they really activate and certainly the HB do not act independently, meaning one side on HB and the other on LB. That is what is missing, but as explained it works up to some extent .

I'm eagerly waiting until the LCI models start to roll out to check if it will come with 5AP and then try to compare the coding to see if the limitations are only software-related or if some parts would need to be replaced.

but GFHB LED lights are so 2014! now all we need (and want) are laser lights!

Cheers!

Last edited by DR1er; 01-16-2017 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #22
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Selective Beam

resurrecting an old thread, just wanted to know if anyone has managed coding 'Selective Beam' to there 6 series with adaptive headlights. I know the thread implies before LCI it's not possible, I'm just hoping that's not the case. Seems a bit of a waste to have all the motors and cameras in my pre LCI car without the ability to have selective beam (to be honest this was the main reason I wanted LED adaptive headlights).
Appreciate 0