BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Smile 2014 650i M-Sport Convertible. AMA!

I now have about 4,500 miles on the new 2014 650i M-Sport Convertible. This is sort of an upgrade from the used (never titled) 2013 650i Individual in Brilliant White with Amaro Brown Full Merino Leather. That one was in the Detroit Auto Show, was driven by a BMW marketing executive for 6,000 miles, and had an exposed side airbag and the dealer did not want to proceed with delivery until they fixed it (and they tried to get the parts for 8 weeks with no luck or timeline as to when they would be getting them), so for $5k more, I got a brand new 2014 650i M-Sport Convertible in Alpine White. $88,000 for a car that costs $104,725 MSRP! Deal of the century?

Impressions:

Digital Tachometer - I really like the new digital tachometer on the 2014 model better than I did during the very brief delivery of the 2013 model. I know many of you will tell me that the manual dials are so much better, more classic, and make the car more of a BMW. Whatever! Get over it! They look fantastic and remind me of the BMW i8's tachometer. Dealer says it saves weight. I say whatever; it makes the car look more futuristic.

Exhaust Note - The exhaust sounds excellent (started sounding good after about 2,000 miles in Sport + with the shifter knocked over to the left)! Very throaty, mean, and expresses the power of the 445bhp V8 letting other cars know who's boss. In the 2014 M-Sport model, there is no need to tune the exhaust let alone do a cat-back. It does sound better than the previous year model did, although that one was non-M-Sport. I guess you could upgrade the exhaust if you were mad and wanted to attract cops.

Ceramic Controls - They're nice. They came with the car since it was already on the lot. Not much better than the standard controls.

Bang & Olufsen Sound System - Not recommended. Not worth the extra money, although it already came with this. I have some of the best sound systems in my houses, so I know good sound when I hear it. Heck, even my cheapest Polk calibrated studio monitors that are 10 years old sound better than the B&Os. I can't really speak for the base sound system in the 6 Series, but I say you're better off getting an aftermarket system put in that would probably be cheaper anyway.

Ride Comfort - Smooth in any mode, although Sport and Sport + are a little jerky on shifts. As long as you drive consistently fast in Sport and Sport+, it's fairly smooth. You can thank the V8 for that!

Steering Feel - Near Perfect! There is a significant difference from last year's model and the 2014's steering feel. I also noticed a huge difference on my 2012 F30 versus 2014 F30 in steering feel. I'm sure BMW has been busy working on the electronics to improve the feel, but I'm sure one of you guys out there can clarify what they've exactly done.

Adaptive Full LED Lights - They're nice. Not much different in terms of distance visibility than the Xenon lights on my 2014 F30. I can't tell that they actually light up the road "further" than the Xenons. Upgrade not recommended.

Fineline Oak Wood Trim - Can't really see the swirls in the wood on this unless it's very bright outside. It might as well be black. What I can say is that it looks significantly better than that Brushed Aluminum trim or even that Carbon Fiber trim I see on other models. I know many of you think it makes the car look like a Chris Bangle 90's car, but I think it makes the car look less cheap.

Navigation - Very speedy especially when zooming the map in and out. I know they've upgraded the hardware and changed the OS I think, but I can see how they managed to make the graphics "appear" speedier. They keep the large rectangular sky on top static in birds-eye view while the map changes depth. A trickery of sorts.

That's all I have time for.

Ask me anything!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #2
Niklas
Private
Rep
Drives: San Marino M6

Absolutely love your car man, it is very similar to what i am currently looking for except ill be getting the coupe, so i may bombard you with a bunch of questions..sorry not sorry haha

Questions:
1) Do you have adaptive drive?
2) If so, then is there a noticeable difference in ride quality from comfort to sport?
3) At night do the LED lights produce a more blue or white light?
4) Are the Msport seats comfy?
5) Can you feel the performance of the car? i.e do you get pushed back into the seat when you put the foot down?
6) Im a music producer/engineer myself so where would you say the B&O system shines and where does it fail?
7) So far what do you love the most about the car, any negative impressions yet?
8) Lastly, are you planning on doing any visual mods?

Thanks for your time man
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas View Post
Absolutely love your car man, it is very similar to what i am currently looking for except ill be getting the coupe, so i may bombard you with a bunch of questions..sorry not sorry haha

Questions:
1) Do you have adaptive drive?
2) If so, then is there a noticeable difference in ride quality from comfort to sport?
3) At night do the LED lights produce a more blue or white light?
4) Are the Msport seats comfy?
5) Can you feel the performance of the car? i.e do you get pushed back into the seat when you put the foot down?
6) Im a music producer/engineer myself so where would you say the B&O system shines and where does it fail?
7) So far what do you love the most about the car, any negative impressions yet?
8) Lastly, are you planning on doing any visual mods?

Thanks for your time man
1.) I don't have adaptive drive with ARS. The ride quality is still superb and each mode still makes the ride feel different in each mode.
2.) See answer to #1.
3.) White light. I don't see any blue at all.
4.) The M-Sport seats are comfortable, but they look exactly the same as the standard seats that were on the other one covered in Individual Amaro Brown Full Merino leather. The other one did have active front seats, but this one doesn't. I also drove a 640i convertible loaner for 4 weeks (and an M6 for 2 weeks) while they tried to fix the exposed airbag on the Individual and it had Active Front Seats. All it does is rock the seat from side to side. Did not reduce back pain on long trips. Not recommended.
5.) I can feel the performance of the car with the big V8, but it's not as exciting as I'd hoped it would be. It doesn't really push you back violently in the seat. It's just a very smooth car with a nice sounding engine and exhaust.
6.) The B&O system is very good at accuracy especially voice clarity, but lacks fullness no matter how you tune it. Vocals are clear, but not thick and full. It's treble is slightly harsh and distorted when loud, but even slightly annoying on low volume. Overall high volume listening is distorted. Bass is too clean and also lacks fullness if you are into bass. I use high bit-rate music files plugged in via USB in the armrest. Sometimes I listen to myself and it's fairly good, but not as good as in the basement studio on even the non high-end monitors in the den. Even using a high quality auxiliary cable is NOT recommended as it is extremely distorted on any volume in my opinion. CDs are also a bit flat.
7.) Honestly I love the compliments I receive. I've been at the beach since Saturday and I've had 3 people yell out the window on the road saying nice car. Never get that in my other cars unless I'm parked at a shop. I haven't had any problems yet which is great because I've never had a car that did not have at least a couple of annoying problems in the first 1,000 miles (except a Lexus IS which is a great car by the way). This is the first BMW I've ever owned that did not have a lot of problems.
8.) I won't be doing any mods to the car. I like the way it is right now.

I think you will love the 640d. They don't sell that model here in the US. I used to have a 2011 335d with that engine and it was very reliable (except for a belt that flew off and somehow managed to get out of the drop pan underneath in the first few thousand miles). You might miss the engine and exhaust sound though. But fuel economy is important these days especially here. I have noticed that Atlanta is the 2nd city in the US with highest amount of all-electric vehicle registrations so I don't think diesel has much of a future in America with Tesla rising up and BMW with their i3 they love to display everywhere in the metro area (plus the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt seem to be popular).

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
2009328i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Gran Coupe

Did i meet you in the LA Fitness parking lot yesterday?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009328i View Post
Did i meet you in the LA Fitness parking lot yesterday?
Wasn't me.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #6
Niklas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
1.) I don't have adaptive drive with ARS. The ride quality is still superb and each mode still makes the ride feel different in each mode.
2.) See answer to #1.
3.) White light. I don't see any blue at all.
4.) The M-Sport seats are comfortable, but they look exactly the same as the standard seats that were on the other one covered in Individual Amaro Brown Full Merino leather. The other one did have active front seats, but this one doesn't. I also drove a 640i convertible loaner for 4 weeks (and an M6 for 2 weeks) while they tried to fix the exposed airbag on the Individual and it had Active Front Seats. All it does is rock the seat from side to side. Did not reduce back pain on long trips. Not recommended.
5.) I can feel the performance of the car with the big V8, but it's not as exciting as I'd hoped it would be. It doesn't really push you back violently in the seat. It's just a very smooth car with a nice sounding engine and exhaust.
6.) The B&O system is very good at accuracy especially voice clarity, but lacks fullness no matter how you tune it. Vocals are clear, but not thick and full. It's treble is slightly harsh and distorted when loud, but even slightly annoying on low volume. Overall high volume listening is distorted. Bass is too clean and also lacks fullness if you are into bass. I use high bit-rate music files plugged in via USB in the armrest. Sometimes I listen to myself and it's fairly good, but not as good as in the basement studio on even the non high-end monitors in the den. Even using a high quality auxiliary cable is NOT recommended as it is extremely distorted on any volume in my opinion. CDs are also a bit flat.
7.) Honestly I love the compliments I receive. I've been at the beach since Saturday and I've had 3 people yell out the window on the road saying nice car. Never get that in my other cars unless I'm parked at a shop. I haven't had any problems yet which is great because I've never had a car that did not have at least a couple of annoying problems in the first 1,000 miles (except a Lexus IS which is a great car by the way). This is the first BMW I've ever owned that did not have a lot of problems.
8.) I won't be doing any mods to the car. I like the way it is right now.

I think you will love the 640d. They don't sell that model here in the US. I used to have a 2011 335d with that engine and it was very reliable (except for a belt that flew off and somehow managed to get out of the drop pan underneath in the first few thousand miles). You might miss the engine and exhaust sound though. But fuel economy is important these days especially here. I have noticed that Atlanta is the 2nd city in the US with highest amount of all-electric vehicle registrations so I don't think diesel has much of a future in America with Tesla rising up and BMW with their i3 they love to display everywhere in the metro area (plus the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt seem to be popular).
Wow thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, really appreciate it
I could have asked the same from a dealer but lets be honest.... they dont always tell the truth.. well not at my local one thats for sure, they were highly misinformed.

Finding a 650i is nearly impossible here unless you buy brand new, not really a popular option unfortunately.

The 640d in the UK is pretty powerful, has 313hp with a crazy 630nm of torque so from what i heard it has plenty of power and added with that crazy fuel economy i think its the perfect blend because of the high fuel prices here.

I think you car is stunning and i cannot wait to get mine, still searching for that perfect one haha

The only mods i will do is cosmetic, so black (wheels, grill, mirrors, roof, spoiler)

Last question if you dont mind, sorry if it will be the same answer as to no1: My previous car was a 320d m sport and i sometimes drive my mother around, she always complained how harsh the ride was, so as you had a 335d before, how would you say the ride is in comparison to the 335.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:26 AM   #7
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, really appreciate it
I could have asked the same from a dealer but lets be honest.... they dont always tell the truth.. well not at my local one thats for sure, they were highly misinformed.

Finding a 650i is nearly impossible here unless you buy brand new, not really a popular option unfortunately.

The 640d in the UK is pretty powerful, has 313hp with a crazy 630nm of torque so from what i heard it has plenty of power and added with that crazy fuel economy i think its the perfect blend because of the high fuel prices here.

I think you car is stunning and i cannot wait to get mine, still searching for that perfect one haha

The only mods i will do is cosmetic, so black (wheels, grill, mirrors, roof, spoiler)

Last question if you dont mind, sorry if it will be the same answer as to no1: My previous car was a 320d m sport and i sometimes drive my mother around, she always complained how harsh the ride was, so as you had a 335d before, how would you say the ride is in comparison to the 335.

Thanks again!
You mean the 2011 335d in comparison to the 2014 335i? If so, the 2011 335d had much better ride comfort than my 2014 335i does. Although my 2011 335d was based on the E92 chassis so there is a difference in chassis.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #8
Niklas
Private
Rep

Quote:
You mean the 2011 335d in comparison to the 2014 335i? If so, the 2011 335d had much better ride comfort than my 2014 335i does. Although my 2011 335d was based on the E92 chassis so there is a difference in chassis.
Sorry i meant your 14' 335 in comparison to your 14' 650
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry i meant your 14' 335 in comparison to your 14' 650
The ride is more stiff in the 650i than in the 335i. The 650i doesn't take potholes as good as the 335i although it's not that bad. I think it's due to the fact that the 335i has fatter tires (Continental ContiSportContact 5 SSR).

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Random comments

Hate the digital gauges - mostly the temp and gas. Notice how the needle on those is like 1/2 length? Drives me crazy. No reason they couldn't make this right. Either way, much preferred the old one. Note, it does not save weight from what I'm told - it allows BMW to use the same cluster in all cars.

B&O sounds better than any stock stereo I've ever heard. Changing out a stereo in a BMW is an expensive effort coupled with a voided warranty. The $3,700 is low cost compared to that and much lower than the Audi B&O at $5,900 that sounds terrible. I'm really glad my car came with it as I too was going to skip this option and hope the 2015 with HK sounded better than stock. So to me, very much worth the extra money (once again, not saying it is perfect or near perfect sounding - just the best stock stereo I've ever heard).

Ride comfort - I have not noticed a jerky shift at all in sport mode (have not done sport +). I will say that in comfort mode, I've got severe lag that just does not exist in sport mode.

Steering feel - can't compare as mine is hydraulic - however I find mine to be perfect as well.

Adaptive Full LED - incredible. Worth every penny. Even more so for how they look on the car. Totally recommended.

Fineline Oak wood trim - the 2nd best thing next to piano black. Not sure where/who thinks it makes it look like a Chris Bangle car - but it is a nice compliment to a very nice interior. The other choice looks much worse and I agree Aluminum is out of place in this car.

Navigation - so fast compared to other cars. Agreed - perfect - except for zooming in/out as that is STILL reversed

PS - I think you meant to say the 650i has fatter tires. But the ultimate reason the 650i does not ride as nice or take potholes as good is that it has low profile 20" vs the 18/19 on the 335i. So much less sidewall to absorb those potholes. Rumor has it a switch to a Non RFT does wonders.

edit - the 650i has wider tires and a shorter sidewall. You probably meant fat=tall sidewall. But I don't think tall people like to be called fat
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #11
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Hate the digital gauges - mostly the temp and gas. Notice how the needle on those is like 1/2 length? Drives me crazy. No reason they couldn't make this right. Either way, much preferred the old one. Note, it does not save weight from what I'm told - it allows BMW to use the same cluster in all cars.

B&O sounds better than any stock stereo I've ever heard. Changing out a stereo in a BMW is an expensive effort coupled with a voided warranty. The $3,700 is low cost compared to that and much lower than the Audi B&O at $5,900 that sounds terrible. I'm really glad my car came with it as I too was going to skip this option and hope the 2015 with HK sounded better than stock. So to me, very much worth the extra money (once again, not saying it is perfect or near perfect sounding - just the best stock stereo I've ever heard).

Ride comfort - I have not noticed a jerky shift at all in sport mode (have not done sport +). I will say that in comfort mode, I've got severe lag that just does not exist in sport mode.

Steering feel - can't compare as mine is hydraulic - however I find mine to be perfect as well.

Adaptive Full LED - incredible. Worth every penny. Even more so for how they look on the car. Totally recommended.

Fineline Oak wood trim - the 2nd best thing next to piano black. Not sure where/who thinks it makes it look like a Chris Bangle car - but it is a nice compliment to a very nice interior. The other choice looks much worse and I agree Aluminum is out of place in this car.

Navigation - so fast compared to other cars. Agreed - perfect - except for zooming in/out as that is STILL reversed

PS - I think you meant to say the 650i has fatter tires. But the ultimate reason the 650i does not ride as nice or take potholes as good is that it has low profile 20" vs the 18/19 on the 335i. So much less sidewall to absorb those potholes. Rumor has it a switch to a Non RFT does wonders.

edit - the 650i has wider tires and a shorter sidewall. You probably meant fat=tall sidewall. But I don't think tall people like to be called fat
Gauges - I hear what you're saying about the temperature gauge on the right. It's kind of non-informative, BUT it could be easily fixed in a future software update. You never know!

B&O Sound - Actually, I had a car with a 14 speaker stock Pioneer system from almost 15 years ago that sounded better than the B&Os! Time doesn't mean it's going to sound better. No matter which car I've had since then, I always think about how great that Pioneer system was. I don't think I'll be upgrading the sound system. I'll just suffer with the B&Os I guess lololol. I did notice that Audi does charge a lot more for their B&O. What's up with that? Audi is sort of lost in some ways.

Ride Comfort - I don't notice severe lag in comfort or comfort+ modes.

LED Headlamps - I must admit they look cooler than they are for seeing further distances IMO. Can't tell I can see any further. Probably equal.

Wood Trim - Chris Bangle = 1990's design. I get jokes on this. People say it's not looking toward the future (whatever that means). Somehow people like that aluminum trim. I saw several of those 650i's on the lot and they are repulsive.

Navigation - I like it's speed sort of. My friends think it's not as good as the new S-Class and the interface is really backwards. I like it. I have no idea what BS they are talking about. HAHA!

PS - No. I meant to say that the 335i has taller sidewalls than the 650i does. I say fatter because that's what people say and understand down here. When I mean "fat" I don't mean "wide." The 335i tires don't look like they are as low profile as the 650i. In fact, the 335i looks like it has very normal tires you'd see on regular, non-sports cars. Although the 335i does have those fabulous Continental ContiSportContact 5 SSRs which are amazing, so they aren't normal tires by any means.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #12
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Gauges - I hear what you're saying about the temperature gauge on the right. It's kind of non-informative, BUT it could be easily fixed in a future software update. You never know!
I wish! Unfortunately (and this came as a surprise when I looked closely) - those two gauges are actually mechanical! Worse it is because of the way they cut the dashboard (I'm assuming they needed to leave room for the lighting) that it actually cuts off the needle! So those will never change
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #13
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I wish! Unfortunately (and this came as a surprise when I looked closely) - those two gauges are actually mechanical! Worse it is because of the way they cut the dashboard (I'm assuming they needed to leave room for the lighting) that it actually cuts off the needle! So those will never change
Ok. I looked a little closer and I see it now. I had to shine a bright light on the temp and fuel gauges to see the manual needle. Oh well. Nothing will ever be perfect on their cars no matter now many focus groups BMW has for layout and button placement.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
FANBMWM
If in doubt flat out - Colin Mcrae
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 LCI SMB M2 LCI LBB

Garage List
2010 BMW 760li  [10.00]
My is very similar and I have Opal white interior
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #15
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANBMWM View Post
My is very similar and I have Opal white interior
I saw the Opal White interior on a 650iGC with Shakir Orange and it was beautiful. I typically don't like orange, but this was an exception to the rule. Their Opal White interior in the showroom had a brown suede ceiling and carpets inside. Absolutely stunning!

Appreciate 0