BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Help pick my wheels

Niche Targa forged :

or BBS FI:

Also, what finish would look the best with Singapore Grey? I know I don't want black or silver, but maybe titanium? Matte or brushed finish? Clearcoated?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

If I wanted to pick one of these rims (that I don't since I like 343M much more) I would go with titanium one, Do you know the size of them? (width, diameter, ET) ...and also weight!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
I like the niche wheels! A buddy of mine in Huntington Beach gets great deals for them through his shop (END auto group) so I too was thinking of picking up some Milan 136s after about a month or two of enjoying my new m6 stock- so if you need me to pass along the info, lmk!
      05-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
If I wanted to pick one of these rims (that I don't since I like 343M much more) I would go with titanium one, Do you know the size of them? (width, diameter, ET) ...and also weight!
FI: 20x9.5. 26ET. 19.45lbs
20x10.5 28ET. 21lbs.

Unsure of the Niche Targas...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSugarSkulls View Post
I like the niche wheels! A buddy of mine in Huntington Beach gets great deals for them through his shop (END auto group) so I too was thinking of picking up some Milan 136s after about a month or two of enjoying my new m6 stock- so if you need me to pass along the info, lmk!

Sweet!
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
FI: 20x9.5. 26ET. 19.45lbs
20x10.5 28ET. 21lbs.

Unsure of the Niche Targas...
Ummmm. not bad. are you going to change the tires too?
You won't have issue with front wheels if you keep your stock tires.
Your rear wheels will stick 9mm inside and I think they will be fine; however if you use 10 mm spacer, then they will sit where they are right now...
If you have plan to change rear tires later and install 305/30/20, then you definitely need spacer. Your current rimes (343M) have ET 31 (front) and ET 19(rear)
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #7
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I like the BBS wheels better, but I just took a look at niche site and like these. Just not in this color.

http://www.nicheroadwheels.com/ritz-t580-w-7246.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
AllCarbonEverything
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 Black Sapphire X6M

I dont really think you can go wrong either way. The Niche forged will save you a bit of money. Those BBS go for close to 2500 per wheel. I think the Niche will run around 1500 a piece.

I will say though the one look i love on dark grey cars would be the look you will get from the HRE Brushed Titanium. The HRE P101 is the same style as youre looking for and the cost will be right in the middle of those two. I think that might be your best option as HRE and BBS are the top two wheel makers from what i understand.

The other thing to consider is wait time. I dont know BBS or Niche reputation as far as wait times but I have heard HRE is spot on. If they say 4 weeks, youll have them in 4 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

The Niche's look better on the M6 imo but they will be heavier.

I just purchased these ADV's and they are at 20lbs +/- too.

HRE's P 101's have this look and are light too.

BTW, my car is Singapore Grey too.
Attached Images

20" ADV.1 5.0 MV1SL with Pirelli Pzero's
Custom Painted Grill, side markers and tinted front reflectors, Dinan Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #10
aj1985
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 m6 coupe sapphire black

I went from a set of niche 21" and switched to 21" set of ADV.1. Niches were cool but theyre generic and not made for the car. You will absolutely have to get spacers with the niche or else they will look like theyre tucked in fender. ADVs on the other hand are tailor made for the car so the offset is perfect and makes the car look so much more aggressive.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #11
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
ADV1 💪ðŸ»
Attached Images

Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2015, 11:32 PM   #12
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF13M6 View Post

What finish did you get?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #13
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1985 View Post
I went from a set of niche 21" and switched to 21" set of ADV.1. Niches were cool but theyre generic and not made for the car. You will absolutely have to get spacers with the niche or else they will look like theyre tucked in fender. ADVs on the other hand are tailor made for the car so the offset is perfect and makes the car look so much more aggressive.
ADV1's are nice, especially in the 21's. The titanium(?) finish on TM's are perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
C5driver
Major
Rep

Niche T14 Targa Matte Anthracite on Singapore Grey.

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #15
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF13M6 View Post

What finish did you get?
Mine are brushed gunmetal.

20" ADV.1 5.0 MV1SL with Pirelli Pzero's
Custom Painted Grill, side markers and tinted front reflectors, Dinan Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #16
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

I love the look of both. The BBS look like they have a stronger section around the hub (more material) but I kind of like the less material look of the Niche. FWIW - It looks like the supporting spokes are more evenly spread on the BBS. For the record, I am not a mechanical type and really know just enough to be dangerous. This could just as easily make no difference at all.

I too am in a SG M6. I have been trying to de-chrome my car and have just the wheels left. I am really curious about what you end up doing. I agree that black might not be the best look with SG (maybe?), but if you go grey is it going to look like you tried to match and missed?

I saw a Bentley last night that was close to my car's paint color and had all the logos and emblems, trim etc. blacked out. It also had black rims. It wasn't bad . . . but I don't think I would do it. I like the stock rims on the M6 but the shiny parts are just too shiny. Wish I could just tone them down a bit to something like sort of a gun metal finish, with perhaps a satin level sheen. I like the color of the BBS but love that Niche finish.

Everything cosmetic on these cars is sooo owner preference. With only one or two exceptions everything I have seen here looks really good but it sure is in the eye of the beholder as to how good. I'd liken it to seeing a really knockout good looking woman but knowing in our gut that there is just something about her that you just would not want to live with. But boy, you talk about an area where it really is most prominent and probably the most owner choice of it all - the wheels are about the biggest thing on the car next to the car body and they are spread out to all four corners.

Please post some shots of what you end up with. I'm thinking wider 20" ones for mine. It's hard to find 11, 11.5 and 12" rims for the M6 GC (that weird offset). I think the car already rides to hard for some street road surfaces and do not want to drop below a 30-35 aspect ratio tire. I notice Niche makes the wider ones but could not find anything about offsets on the one piece models. I also see that ADV will make them and do custom fitment (offsets I assume are part of that) but I 'm not so serious about doing this that I want to take up their time. Has anyone gone through this process that knows what the procedure is?

I sure like the look of the Matte Anthracite. It's kind of what I would have called gunmetal - with so many color shades and all the marketing types making up names for them there's no rhyme or reason to color naming. I wonder if the stock rims could get the shiny bits done like this. Or maybe just get the Niche . . . or ADV. Hmm? Boy this is just what I needed - something else to do to my car. Between you and BigBrian I might as well start over. Sure does look much better when you are done though.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #17
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chask View Post
I love the look of both. The BBS look like they have a stronger section around the hub (more material) but I kind of like the less material look of the Niche. FWIW - It looks like the supporting spokes are more evenly spread on the BBS.
The spoke pattern is similar, but subtly different from manufacturer to manufacturer. BBS FI was the original and everyone more or less has a variation of it. MHT is the parent company of Niche and they used to be the OEM for ADV1, I believe. BBS, VS, HRE, Klassen, etc...all good wheels, just nuances between each one.

Quote:
I too am in a SG M6. I have been trying to de-chrome my car and have just the wheels left. I am really curious about what you end up doing. I agree that black might not be the best look with SG (maybe?), but if you go grey is it going to look like you tried to match and missed?
I decided to go with BBS and unlike the custom guys, their finishes are limited, but GTG for matching most car colors.

Quote:
I like the stock rims on the M6 but the shiny parts are just too shiny. Wish I could just tone them down a bit to something like sort of a gun metal finish, with perhaps a satin level sheen. I like the color of the BBS but love that Niche finish.
Niche has quite a few options for finishes, but I prefer a simple matte titanium. The stock 343M's are one of my favorites too and I think they complement the lines of the coupe. I just wanted something a bit different.

Quote:
Everything cosmetic on these cars is sooo owner preference. With only one or two exceptions everything I have seen here looks really good but it sure is in the eye of the beholder as to how good.
I've noticed that one of the most glaring differences on the boards between F13 owners and F8x owners is the frequency, intensity, and quality of the pissing contests. The whole "my opinion is more valid than yours" mentality that transcends rational discussions on differences is pervasive among our F-brethren.

Quote:
Please post some shots of what you end up with.

I sure like the look of the Matte Anthracite. It's kind of what I would have called gunmetal - with so many color shades and all the marketing types making up names for them there's no rhyme or reason to color naming.

Between you and BigBrian I might as well start over. Sure does look much better when you are done though.
Absolutely.

One thing I've learned in researching wheels is that you need to see the color in person. Monitors, cameras, lighting...they all affect the color, especially with glossy metallic colors.

Brian...his car is is a poster child for insanity. No comparison
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #18
C5driver
Major
Rep

Same wheels and finish...different angles and lighting.

Last edited by C5driver; 05-20-2015 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #19
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Niche Forged vs BBS FI? You're joking right?

BBS FI >>> Any other wheel >>> Niche Forged
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #20
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Less costlier than BBS & HRE

Totally custom to your choosing of offsets, width, finishes.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 06:14 AM   #21
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
The spoke pattern is similar, but subtly different from manufacturer to manufacturer. BBS FI was the original and everyone more or less has a variation of it. MHT is the parent company of Niche and they used to be the OEM for ADV1, I believe. BBS, VS, HRE, Klassen, etc...all good wheels, just nuances between each one. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
Niche Forged vs BBS FI? You're joking right?

BBS FI >>> Any other wheel >>> Niche Forged
BBS was one of the best if not the best back when I was into this many moons ago. I know some companies have trouble or the owners get an offer they could not refuse (gobs of money beyond belief) and their product quality drops (usually under new and less competent management) but I cannot imagine BBS being one of them. They were just way too good.

I am now thinking about some new wheels but want to stay with 20's as Michelin seems to have stopped making tires as wide as I would like to have for the 21" rims. That plus the pothole infestation around here and preferring a bit softer ride has me leaning towards the 'larger aspect ratio and smaller/stock rim" route. The M6 already rides a bit on the stiff side for me and the roads around here. If the spring rate was just a bit less (and you could buy wide tires for it) I'd not hesitate for the smaller aspect ratio and taller rims.

I'd go with BBS too but I want a bit wider rim and the largest they make in the one you got in a 20" is 10.5" - the stock rim size.

I wish I knew more about all these companies that have sprung up since I was really into this stuff (a long time ago). So many of them make good rims, nice looking rims, strong rims, etc., but I cannot tell from looking at the pictures which ones really hold up to the typical road hazards we have these days. My BBS's were really good with the potholes back east (back then we did not have them out here). I don't think I ever had a rim that was bent or damaged in any way by a pothole, even though I had a couple of tires just blow out from the impact (even then, when refilled they held air just fine and appeared to have sustained no damage at all).

But things have changed around here. In the last 12-18 months I have had 5-6 sidewall damages from the potholes around here - 1 badly cut sidewall and at least 4 or maybe 5 bulges. I'm getting kind of tired of that. The tire insurance guy is getting pretty tired of it too. Plus it is not to great on my back either. One time the jolt was so bad it knocked the car off cruise control and that one did nothing to the tires.

Quote:
. . .
I decided to go with BBS and unlike the custom guys, their finishes are limited, but GTG for matching most car colors.
Please post when you get them on your car. I'd bet they are going to look great. Back when I used to see a lot of them - Up close, BBS always seemed to be better looking, and look like they were made better too.
Appreciate 0