BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-15-2015, 02:55 AM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Running in an M Engine

Interesting article on this here: From R&T Magazine.......
BMW is quietly rolling out a Customer Care Package, or CCP, for its N63 twin-turbocharged V8 to fix a handful of glitches that have plagued the 4.4L since it was launched in 2008. The CCP is not a recall since it does not address safety-related concerns.
According to Road & Track, the CCP covers a wide range of items, from timing chains prone to failure to leaky fuel lines to faulty vacuum pumps. The CCP even reduces the N63's oil service interval from 15,000 miles to 10,000 miles. Interestingly, that reduction in mileage is the result of customers taking it too easy on the V8 rather than the other way around -- without a proper flogging during the break-in period, the N63 has a tendency to consume more oil.

I have always (once Oil is up to temperature) Pushed the new "M" engines for the first 50 miles or so using lower gears to slow down, this has always resulted in No Oil used., looks like I was right.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
BMW is quietly rolling out a Customer Care Package, or CCP, for its N63 twin-turbocharged V8 to fix a handful of glitches that have plagued the 4.4L since it was launched in 2008. The CCP is not a recall since it does not address safety-related concerns.
According to Road & Track, the CCP covers a wide range of items, from timing chains prone to failure to leaky fuel lines to faulty vacuum pumps. The CCP even reduces the N63's oil service interval from 15,000 miles to 10,000 miles. Interestingly, that reduction in mileage is the result of customers taking it too easy on the V8 rather than the other way around -- without a proper flogging during the break-in period, the N63 has a tendency to consume more oil.

I have always (once Oil is up to temperature) Pushed the new "M" engines for the first 50 miles or so using lower gears to slow down, this has always resulted in No Oil used., looks like I was right.
Thanks. I just saw another ref to that CCP. I am picking up a fresh M6 GC in August in Munich, so I will REALLY need to get some straight advice on proper breakin. My plan is to take it the 3-4 miles to the hotel, then head out the next morning onto the highway and onto some country highways in Upper Bavaria. It sounds like I should tell my family to hold on tight. No top speeds, but plenty of higher revs.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
Thanks. I just saw another ref to that CCP. I am picking up a fresh M6 GC in August in Munich, so I will REALLY need to get some straight advice on proper breakin. My plan is to take it the 3-4 miles to the hotel, then head out the next morning onto the highway and onto some country highways in Upper Bavaria. It sounds like I should tell my family to hold on tight. No top speeds, but plenty of higher revs.
A few hills always helps, power up them and let the gears take you down on no throttle (if no one is behind you).
      05-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post

I've read your break-in write up in a previous post, and while I have neither the experience, knowledge, nor reason to counter your position, this has been an area of contention with those (including manufacturers) advocating a more gentle approach to the break-in period.

BMW makes no reference to the more aggressive approach.

I wonder if this CCP will change their recommendations or is it more an issue with drivers not using the motor as it should be used.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 03:19 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
I've read your break-in write up in a previous post, and while I have neither the experience, knowledge, nor reason to counter your position, this has been an area of contention with those (including manufacturers) advocating a more gentle approach to the break-in period.

BMW makes no reference to the more aggressive approach.

I wonder if this CCP will change their recommendations or is it more an issue with drivers not using the motor as it should be used.
My way of braking in the engine is only for 50 miles or so, then drive normally therefore now stressing the other components as such.

The idea is to seat the rings earliest to avoid Oil consumption and loss of power.
It would seem BMW feel the need to "change things" IE: "service intervals" instead of saying "work the engine harder once all is up to temperature".
This strategy saves them having prohaps blown engines through abuse.
      05-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
hsbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bme 650 xi grand coupe

just slightly over heat the motor by blocking the raditor. this is a old trick dating back to the 50s. seats the rings, causing lower oil usage and increaded hp/mpg
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:36 AM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsbob View Post
just slightly over heat the motor by blocking the raditor. this is a old trick dating back to the 50s. seats the rings, causing lower oil usage and increaded hp/mpg
I am an Older Engineer of 45 years experience and never ever heard of it.
Not recommended IMO.