BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Convert / 2015 M3

Oil pump recall: What happens with your M6 if it's still in Germany?

Our M6 convertible is still in Germany. Was wondering if the oil pump recall will be corrected in Germany or will BMW ship the car to the US to be corrected? Since it is recommended that you do not drive the vehicle, how will it be loaded on the ship? I emailed BMW and got the standard answer that we should receive a letter and NOT to drive the vehicle!!!
Anyone have any info??
Driving me nuts....
Attached Images

Last edited by fitmaster; 09-28-2012 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

So they let you pick it up but not drive it?
      09-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

FYI -- I picked up my M6 Coupe in Munich on Thursday, and ended up driving it to the Nurburgring until I learned of the recall. My car was then towed to a dealership near the Ring, and as I understand, it will be repaired there. Just do not know if that will also apply to your car, but good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
6th BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Have you checked your VIN number with the list that posted on these boards? My M6 was just finished and is ready to ship. I check my VIN number to the list and my number is not on the list. I confirmed this information with my dealer. They said my number is not on the list (their list) and told me they assume my car was fitted with the correct part before it left...
1) get your VIN number
2) check the list
3) call your dealer to confirm

I also called BMW NA, they were not very helpful, but told me If my car was under the recall, the dealer would fix the problem before the car could be delivered.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionP View Post
So they let you pick it up but not drive it?
No. Picked it up drove 1030 miles and returned it for shipment. After arriving back in the US last week, I learned about the recall. The recall was done 2 days after we returned the car. Thank goodness we didn't have an issue driving the 1030 miles. I believe they are holding the car back in Germany, thus the reason for my question.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th BMW View Post
Have you checked your VIN number with the list that posted on these boards? My M6 was just finished and is ready to ship. I check my VIN number to the list and my number is not on the list. I confirmed this information with my dealer. They said my number is not on the list (their list) and told me they assume my car was fitted with the correct part before it left...
1) get your VIN number
2) check the list
3) call your dealer to confirm

I also called BMW NA, they were not very helpful, but told me If my car was under the recall, the dealer would fix the problem before the car could be delivered.
Yes, my VIN number is on the list and the dealer confirmed. Just wish BMW would answer our questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBMW View Post
FYI -- I picked up my M6 Coupe in Munich on Thursday, and ended up driving it to the Nurburgring until I learned of the recall. My car was then towed to a dealership near the Ring, and as I understand, it will be repaired there. Just do not know if that will also apply to your car, but good luck.
Did the same thing. My shipment date must have been a few days earlier that yours. Ruined a good vacation and ED for you. Feel for you.
Did anyone received a letter from BMW yet??
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
RufussCkingston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 50i / E71 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmaster View Post
Did the same thing. My shipment date must have been a few days earlier that yours. Ruined a good vacation and ED for you. Feel for you.
Did anyone received a letter from BMW yet??
Just curious, did you discuss compensation? Did you get a loaner when you got it towed to the dealer?

Interesting Situation

RCK
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #9
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't think they hold the vehicle in germany due to they are still running the line and pumping them out. It will be done at the VDC more than likely. The places are huge and shouldn't have a prob holding the afflicted vehicles there until parts arrive. They should have firm repair dates by early next week. I should be picking my car up any day now. Just waiting for my payments to clear so they can stop holding my car hostage.
      09-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Now that I think of it, thats the 1st SO vert I have seen. Is that silverstone for the interior?
      09-29-2012, 03:35 AM   #11
ManhattanBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6

I believe your question is directed to my ED experience. I had a very tight schedule while in Europe, so I needed to get to Munich the same day my car was towed. The Ring is about 6 hours from Munich, and the ED drop off on Saturday closes at 2 pm, so I needed to drive to Munich and drop off my shipment paperwork before the office closed as I was returning to the US on Sunday. So there was no time for a BMW loaner, and I ended up with a Mercedes B-Class rental. Have not yet discussed compensation, and at this point I am waiting for news that my car has had the oil pump replaced, and is now at the port waiting to be shipped -- from what I know, the car is still at the dealership (a week after it was towed).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now that I think of it, thats the 1st SO vert I have seen. Is that silverstone for the interior?
Yes, it was one of the first Sakhir Orange produced. The color was released July 20th for the vert. The interior is the Silverstone and I have all options except the B&O and Night vision. Really impressed with all the new technology, the pro nav, Driver Assistance, etc..
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

M6 Status update

Our Sales person called today and said our car is showing off their inventory at the dealership. What this means is the car is still in Germany and is back at the BMW factory. He thought that they will do the oil pump replacement at the factory and then ship it back to the US.
Once shipped, the car will show back up in the dealer's inventory.

Still haven't heard anything from BMW, so not sure what is going on and where the car is right now.
Any thoughts??
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmaster
Quote:
Yes, it was one of the first Sakhir Orange produced. The color was released July 20th for the vert. The interior is the Silverstone and I have all options except the B&O and Night vision. Really impressed with all the new technology, the pro nav, Driver Assistance, etc..
Thanks
Gorgeous combination. SO on the M6 looks fantastic.
      09-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #15
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Fitmaster, you said you were traveling with 4 people, what were the heights of the folks in the back? I still haven't been close to one to fold myself up in the back to see how much yoga I would need to practice. I usually don't ride with that many peoplke but just for emergency planning.
      09-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
fitmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fitmaster, you said you were traveling with 4 people, what were the heights of the folks in the back? I still haven't been close to one to fold myself up in the back to see how much yoga I would need to practice. I usually don't ride with that many peoplke but just for emergency planning.
4 total. My wife and 2 grown kids. We are not very big but I did ride in the back while my son drove and it wasn't really too bad. The most amazing thing is that we had 7 pieces of luggage. Four 22" carry-ons and 3 medium pieces. The Welt delivery person said it will never fit but faith in my wife's measurements, she insisted that it will fit. The Welt guy took a picture of the luggage outside the car and in the car. He will share with BMW. To everyone's amazement including the visitors at the Welt it did fit with just a few spots for more stuff. Truly amazing!! We did a lot of shopping and added even more stuff. Now, if we can just have our car back it would be great.!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow i wouldn't have thought that would have fit in the vert trunk as well.