BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #1
kbgnat
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

What is Variable Damper Control (VDC)?

I'm in the market for a 640d M Sport and came across some cars with the Variable Damper Control (VDC) specced and was wondering what this was.

I've had a look at the description for VDC on the BMW website:

"The Dynamic Damper Control makes it possible to ideally adjust the damper characteristics to suit any given driving situation, improving comfort and driving dynamics. In addition to the standard COMFORT setting, which minimises bumps and other unpleasant vehicle movements, there are two other programs available: the SPORT and SPORT+ modes. In these modes, the dampers are automatically tightened to allow for a sportier driving style."

I test drove a 640d M Sport with no VDC, and I was able to change the driving characteristics of the car using the Drive Performance Controls on the center console. So how is this different from a car with VDC specced?

Does the VDC give me more options to play around with in terms of suspension stiffness etc? and are these settings accessed via the iDrive system or is there separate buttons on the center console/steering wheel?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

There are two driving options for the suspension the cheaper VDC and the pricey adaptive drive.

Essentially the VDC gives you dampers which softened or made harder depending on driving setting, all 6 series come with the drive performance control on, but VDC cars also have additional options which is the "Comfort+" setting.

BMW's online description is very confusing and not really giving a full picture.

Standard Cars without VDC/Adaptive Drive:
Eco Pro
Comfort
Sport
Sport+

VDC cars:
Eco Pro
Comfort
Comfort+
Sport
Sport+
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

There's a definite improvement in smoothness in Comfort+ over standard Comfort. Bumps in the road are quieter and less likely to be felt.

I'm on RFT's at the moment so may contribute to the stiffer feel in comfort, so I can only imagine how much smoother it will be when on non-RFTs.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Rufus123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
There are two driving options for the suspension the cheaper VDC and the pricey adaptive drive.

Essentially the VDC gives you dampers which softened or made harder depending on driving setting, all 6 series come with the drive performance control on, but VDC cars also have additional options which is the "Comfort+" setting.

BMW's online description is very confusing and not really giving a full picture.

Eco Pro
Comfort
Sport
Sport+

VDC cars:
Eco Pro
Comfort
Comfort+
Sport
Sport+
I've seen cars with both options ticked mate so I think they are different, agree the info on the website is crap

Mines got VDC and I've got the comfort plus option, but have never used it lol
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
kbgnat
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post

Eco Pro
Comfort
Sport
Sport+

VDC cars:
Eco Pro
Comfort
Comfort+
Sport
Sport+
Agree, the description BMW provides is very confusing. Your explanation is much clearer. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 05:08 AM   #6
Mikey0423
Rep
Drives: BMW G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgnat View Post
Agree, the description BMW provides is very confusing. Your explanation is much clearer. Thanks!
I second that even my local dealer did not know that Comfort Plus is VDC!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #7
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 40D Msport+ in Blue

If is confusing I went for VDC and comfrot+ reminds me of a old c class Merc and can rock you to sleep on the motor way but make a nice differance on roads in pot hole Sheffield...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Basically VDC is, as it says, variable dampers which can be set according to road conditions and driving style.
Adaptive drive includes VDC but adds adjustable front and rear roll bars; each one has a central coupling element which can be varied from virtually fully de-coupled in comfort+ through to completely rigid in sport and sport+. In this mode it dramatically reduces body roll during fast cornering.
It may be a bit pricy but it really works.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #9
abstinent
Private
Rep
Drives: 640i GC Xdrive M-Paket

VDC

I have comfort + mode but I do not use it, I feel like on a boat and it makes me feel like
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
eversmanngt
Registered
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Basically VDC is, as it says, variable dampers which can be set according to road conditions and driving style.
Adaptive drive includes VDC but adds adjustable front and rear roll bars; each one has a central coupling element which can be varied from virtually fully de-coupled in comfort+ through to completely rigid in sport and sport+. In this mode it dramatically reduces body roll during fast cornering.
It may be a bit pricy but it really works.

Came across this thread when looking for VDC vs Adaptive Drive for a G30 5 Series. So, if I am after an approve used, how to confirm a car has Adaptive Drive?

p.s. I gather Having Comfort+ confirms it has VDC.
Also is Sport+ standard for all M Sport models?

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 04:15 AM   #11
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Interested in this also, think the only option is to do a vin decode as I never see 640d's advertised in the UK with adaptive drive. plenty of msport plus (includes vdc).
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by eversmanngt View Post

Came across this thread when looking for VDC vs Adaptive Drive for a G30 5 Series. So, if I am after an approve used, how to confirm a car has Adaptive Drive?

p.s. I gather Having Comfort+ confirms it has VDC.
Also is Sport+ standard for all M Sport models?

Many Thanks
At least in the US, almost no cars have adaptive drive. It cost $2,500 extra. Mine just happened to have it because it was some sort of demo car. But in looking at hundreds of used ones, I'm not sure I ever saw another with it - although I was only looking at convertibles. Mine also has night vision, which is also extremely rare. But the way to tell is to decode the VIN. One of the first things listed will be adaptive drive, and the damper control that all others list will not be listed.
Appreciate 0