BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      07-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
socalfaded
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: STONED TURBO

COLD AIR INTAKE FOR 650I 4.4 bitubo

Does anyone make or offer an intake for the 2013 650I 4.4 turbo?
I used the search button and checked everywere on youtube, and google and no luck.
If anyone knows, please let me know.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Coupe

I'd like to know too but don't believe there is a cold air package for the 650i, nor is there any available Hi-Flow drop in filters.

BUT ........ what you can do and should is remove these awful restrictive carbon filters found only on 650i's in North America.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Just take them out?
That's it?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWnyc View Post
Just take them out?
That's it?
Yes just take them out, they restrict air flow. Only 6'ers in USA have these. Once gone, improved breathing and a sweet little shifting pop in the engine bay during spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
socalfaded
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: STONED TURBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
Yes just take them out, they restrict air flow. Only 6'ers in USA have these. Once gone, improved breathing and a sweet little shifting pop in the engine bay during spirited driving.
do you know where I can look up to take it out like a DIY?
Also isn't it bad because it makes the debree all go into the engine then?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

Where are these located? How do you remove them?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
I'd like to know too but don't believe there is a cold air package for the 650i, nor is there any available Hi-Flow drop in filters.

BUT ........ what you can do and should is remove these awful restrictive carbon filters found only on 650i's in North America.

What are the purpose of the carbon filters? Any long term effect of removing them. I'm sure BMW doesn't invest in a bunch of money to install them if all it does it restrict airflow.

Unless it's somehow good for the environment (cleaner air) then remove it.

BTW, BMW air box are technically "cold air." Companies have tried to make aftermarket air boxes for the N63 with less, little, or no increase in power. The BMW air boxes are pretty efficient.

Hopefully K&N will make drop in filters for the N63 soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
What are the purpose of the carbon filters? Any long term effect of removing them. I'm sure BMW doesn't invest in a bunch of money to install them if all it does it restrict airflow.

Unless it's somehow good for the environment (cleaner air) then remove it.

BTW, BMW air box are technically "cold air." Companies have tried to make aftermarket air boxes for the N63 with less, little, or no increase in power. The BMW air boxes are pretty efficient.

Hopefully K&N will make drop in filters for the N63 soon.
The USA only carbon filters help restrict certain pollutants and in turn also restricts air flow. This filter is stacked along with the air filter.

Don't get it, talk about a small market share. Can't understand why K&N makes drop in filters only for the M6 which is probably less than 5% of all 6'ers.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

I also took out the carbon filters. There is no intake other than Dinan that works right now, some people are trying to manufacture one-offs in hopes that they make power but so far they are back to the drawing board. I am personally working with AFE performance to make a set of drop in filters for a reasonable cost. There is a guy that will make you a set of filters but he wants like $400 and I understand cause he isn't making 10,000 sets but it's still too much when a company like AFE is already set up for it. By next week they should tell me when they can get something going and then if they need to they will use my car to test fit and then we can all get a set. They will also look into having an intake made but I wouldn't count on that for a while.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
I also took out the carbon filters. There is no intake other than Dinan that works right now, some people are trying to manufacture one-offs in hopes that they make power but so far they are back to the drawing board. I am personally working with AFE performance to make a set of drop in filters for a reasonable cost. There is a guy that will make you a set of filters but he wants like $400 and I understand cause he isn't making 10,000 sets but it's still too much when a company like AFE is already set up for it. By next week they should tell me when they can get something going and then if they need to they will use my car to test fit and then we can all get a set. They will also look into having an intake made but I wouldn't count on that for a while.
That's great, thanks. I'm in on a set of drop in's when they are ready from AFE.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
acole10000
Rep
Drives: 650i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
That's great, thanks. I'm in on a set of drop in's when they are ready from AFE.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately it seems that for now AFE is off the table. The tooling costs vs. demand is just not there so for now they are just making drop ins for the M cars and will hopefully re-visit the N63 down the road. Looks like we're back to square one. I will try and see what I can come up with on my own with some silicone and filter element material.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep

Your a good man for updating us even though it's not good news.

Just doesn't make sense. I would think demand for the M6 drop in would be way less than for all the 650i coupes, verts and 4 doors.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #14
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your a good man for updating us even though it's not good news.

Just doesn't make sense. I would think demand for the M6 drop in would be way less than for all the 650i coupes, verts and 4 doors.
That's what I said to them.. It also has to do with the complexity of the filters themselves and how hard it is to remove them, they are looking at how many people are going to open the airbox and peel out the filters and replace. K&N looks at it the same way, they also have nothing on the table. BMW made it tough so no one creeps up to M5/6 numbers.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
ShakeDaddy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
That's what I said to them.. It also has to do with the complexity of the filters themselves and how hard it is to remove them, they are looking at how many people are going to open the airbox and peel out the filters and replace. K&N looks at it the same way, they also have nothing on the table. BMW made it tough so no one creeps up to M5/6 numbers.
Some good points. But a big company like K&N you would think is missing business.
Appreciate 0