BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Launch Mode active without dealer service

I'm not sure if I read it anywhere else but I was under the impression that launch mode was activated during the break in service but I'm guessing it unlocks itself either after the mile period or unknown vehicle parameters being satisfied. I just went over the 1200 mile mark and will be unable to get my service done for weeks and decided to try out launch mode. Sure enough it works. I also did a little "fun" driving on the autobahn since the system feels that it is ready. haha
      10-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionP View Post
I'm not sure if I read it anywhere else but I was under the impression that launch mode was activated during the break in service but I'm guessing it unlocks itself either after the mile period or unknown vehicle parameters being satisfied. I just went over the 1200 mile mark and will be unable to get my service done for weeks and decided to try out launch mode. Sure enough it works. I also did a little "fun" driving on the autobahn since the system feels that it is ready. haha
I think you're expecting too much sophistication from BMW. You probably could have launched it leaving the dealership if you wanted to violate the break-in suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I think you're expecting too much sophistication from BMW. You probably could have launched it leaving the dealership if you wanted to violate the break-in suggestions.
Possibly, that would be a funny scene. I'm just a tech person that like to analyze things. Putting the logic together why some were allowed to do the break in service early and some were not.

Last edited by PrecisionP; 10-21-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
6fws
Rep
Drives: M6

If you think about it, the whole break-in stuff doesn't make a lot of sense anyway. BMW could very easily prevent the engine/DCT from reaching revs >5500 rpm. As you probably know, the car won't perform manual downshifts if the engine would end up >7250 rpm anyway, so why not lower that limit to 5500 while still <1200 miles?

I'm with BigHat - you could most likely leave the dealership using launch control without any issues whatsoever
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fws View Post
If you think about it, the whole break-in stuff doesn't make a lot of sense anyway. BMW could very easily prevent the engine/DCT from reaching revs >5500 rpm. As you probably know, the car won't perform manual downshifts if the engine would end up >7250 rpm anyway, so why not lower that limit to 5500 while still <1200 miles?

I'm with BigHat - you could most likely leave the dealership using launch control without any issues whatsoever
This has been a discussion item since the inception of the M car break in routine. Now I can't find the link, but I think BMW does have a "valet mode" for lack of a better term that governs how fast the car can be driven by the guys loading and unloading them from the ships, etc. I think I first read about it when someone reported the dealer or port acceptance center forgot to disable it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not coming down on the side of the break-in procedure debate that asserts it doesn't matter. I have always adhered to it in the past. My point is they just leave it up to you to follow or ignore. No magic software that frees you from the limits at 1200 miles. My E46 M3 rev'd in a flash and I certainly witnessed it surpass the rev guidelines from the start when I failed to appreciate what the car could do.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yup prob the case. I need to do some timed runs somewhere to see about the 20% or so of more useable/available power rumor that is unlocked upon service.
I figured they couldn't limit the rpm's due to safety issues, like needing to pass a truck and a driver fails to complete the maneuver and then the family gets to sue BMW for restricting normal function.
      10-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
6fws
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionP View Post
Yup prob the case. I need to do some timed runs somewhere to see about the 20% or so of more useable/available power rumor that is unlocked upon service.
I figured they couldn't limit the rpm's due to safety issues, like needing to pass a truck and a driver fails to complete the maneuver and then the family gets to sue BMW for restricting normal function.
Good thinking, sounds fairly reasonable.

I think the performance increase turned out to be a myth, though. I have yet to see any substantial proof.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good thinking, sounds fairly reasonable.

I think the performance increase turned out to be a myth, though. I have yet to see any substantial proof.
I haven't seen any on the boards yet either. I think that's the power that the tuner's maybe "unlocking" because they all have the same tune so far. The only coders that have tried to do more have run into the car's nanny system and some have shutdown.