Drives: F80 M3

Post Autoblog Reviews 2012 6-series Coupe

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Autoblog Reviews 2012 6-series Coupe
COMMENTS
Name:  640i.jpg
Views: 6724
Size:  154.9 KB

Autoblog has posted its first drive review of the 2012 6-series coupe. Although the article is a bit difficult to follow, below are some of its highlights:

Quote:
Just considering sheer finish and accommodation for four real-sized adults, this new 2+2 BMW fairly well beats the Jaguar XK, Audi S5, and Mercedes E-Class Coupe – with or without a metal roof.
Quote:
Granted, all the V8s we care to talk about here feel more like rumbling rebels of the road, but this inline powerplant from BMW is arguably the best civilian tune six in a premium passenger car. In this 6 Series, taking all things emotive and practical into account, the inline six is a better choice than the pretty good 4.4 biturbo V8.
Quote:
We worked this 640i Coupe on the autobahn and on the many squeaky clean and manicured twisting two-lanes southeast of Munich where the low hills start to rumple up toward the Bavarian and Austrian Alps. Here, the 640i's 3.0-liter six with its hardworking twin-scroll turbo and Valvetronic proved to be a great driver according to our right foot, hands on the wheel and the ol' inner ear bone. Bundle its 316 horses (peaking between 5,800 and 6,000 rpm) and the 332 pound-feet of torque (1,300 to 4,500 rpm) with BMW's latest iteration of Driving Dynamics Control, optional Integral Active Steering ($1,750) and active roll stabilization ($2,000), and you've got a recipe for good times. The last 6 Series was absolutely never this polished over the road – at least not without an M logo on its decklid. Sitting still, the lock-to-lock of the Servotronic power steering is just 2.0 turns, so the maneuverability of this big 2+2 is actually pretty damned good in tight quarters.
Quote:
Everything but Comfort+ made our day. In this weird setting that's available only when one opts for both Electronic Damper Control and Adaptive Drive, any and all feedback goes away, leaving the driver on a plush, fluffed pillow with vague steering feel.
Quote:
Our vote in this new 6 Series range is clearly for this least expensive 640i Coupe, though one with a cloth roof will be a good call, too. It is the only model in this pricey lead-with-your-heart segment where four adults can feel properly treated while carrying practically anything they need for an easy weekend thanks to the well arranged 16.3 cubic feet of space.
Catch the full review at Autoblog

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
bullet0770
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks

First Post
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
flightz71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i

It's not drop dead goregeous but the old 6 had a horrendous front end. The headlights oddly shaped and disproportionally placed out to the side, with the 2 strange looking kidneys with flat chrome bars. It was just plain ugly. At least this new one goes back to traditional looking kidney's, a properly soft natural "sports car" shaped headlight and a commanding stance (nose sticks forward... similar to r34 skyline)

A M6 treatment to the front bumper will turn this car beautiful and alive.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipit View Post
Autoblog:

I am not alone at thinking the front of this car is hideous. BMW really dropped the ball on this one.
I wouldn't call hideous but I think it's really anonymous looking. Like some japanese car or something. The old version had much more character imo...if I ever afford one I will buy the old M6!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Coni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
As happened on the last generation 5 Series with the extravagant Dame Edna headlights and "flame surfacing" wildfire...
It annoys me that every online car website just blatantly copies Jeremy Clarkson in reviews (even if they do get it wrong: its Dame Edna Everage's Spectacles, not Dame Edna). He's very funny, but not to be taken seriously, especially from a design standpoint.

Last edited by Coni; 07-04-2011 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Nice. Can't wait to read the other reviews! To me, the new 6-Series is much more refined overall. The looks aren't the greatest but its definitely better than last generation. And it seems like performance was also improved on. Despite the price, seems like a winner if you have the money for it. Before it was "who would buy a 6-Series", I don't think they can mock it anymore with the new one being a complete package.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipit View Post
I just think this car is priced way too high. Even with the intro of the cheaper 640i.

You can get a 2012 E550 Coupe, with a twin turbo V8 for almost $20,000 cheaper than the 6-cylinder 640i. I personally think the E-class coupe looks fantastic on the road.
You are right on the nail.

I'm in the market for a smooth V8, 2 door coupe for a reasonable price.
Something somehwat spacious, yet luxurious, but still enjoyable. BMW offered no choice for me.

Audi had S5 and MB had E550 Coupe. Currently, I'm settling for the E550 Coupe as soon as it rolls out in September with V8 TT with over 400hp. The S5 will be getting supercharged V6, which is also a great choice.

Either BMW should consider 5 series coupe or drop the price of 6 series coupe, by ALOT and still keeping the power plant with that price. Which I assume is nearly impossible, so BMW certainly isn't catching the market in semi-luxury Coupe segment.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :

Last edited by lux.sh; 07-04-2011 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
You are right on the nail.

I'm in the market for a smooth V8, 2 door coupe for a reasonable price.
Something somehwat spacious, yet luxurious, but still enjoyable. BMW offered no choice for me.

Audi had S5 and MB had E550 Coupe. Currently, I'm settling for the E550 Coupe as soon as it rolls out in September with V8 TT with over 400hp. The S5 will be getting supercharged V6, which is also a great choice.

Either BMW should consider 5 series coupe or drop the 6 series coupe, by ALOT and still keeping the power plant with that price. Which I assume is nearly impossible, so BMW certainly isn't catching the market in semi-luxury Coupe segment.
There's a big hole in both of your (blipit's) opinions: the A/S5 and "E-Class Coupe" lines aren't in the same class as the new 6 Series. The A/S5 are based on the B8 A4's chassis; clearly a class below the larger 5/6 Series classes, and the E-Class coupe is a marketing ploy seeing as the car is actually a C-Class in a nicer body shell. That's right, it's not tied to the larger Benz's chassis as they'd like to have you thinking.

That premium is justified after all. You're paying for a bigger car in a higher level of class.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
There's a big hole in both of your (blipit's) opinions: the A/S5 and "E-Class Coupe" lines aren't in the same class as the new 6 Series. The A/S5 are based on the B8 A4's chassis; clearly a class below the larger 5/6 Series classes, and the E-Class coupe is a marketing ploy seeing as the car is actually a C-Class in a nicer body shell. That's right, it's not tied to the larger Benz's chassis as they'd like to have you thinking.

That premium is justified after all. You're paying for a bigger car in a higher level of class.
lol. Where in my post said anything about 6 series being in the same class? For nearly $20,000 more, what the hell do we get in the 6 series? "honker just lands like poop on a princess" front? I think you need to read our statements more clearly. We never said 6 series is in same class as S5 or E Coupe. What makes 6 series so damn pricey and different from other competitions? you tell me.
It's a big fat luxurious coupe with unnecessary price tag that doesn't even satisfy technological enthusiasts. 6 series was never the key model or selling like hotcakes in BMW division anyway.

That is not a "hole". It is a hole that BMW has in its market segment. Chassis, yes, it matters, but for average buyers, does it? No, in my opinion. By the way, I knew the S5 and E Coupe were sharing chassis with younger siblings probably before you knew as I was keeping eye on those vehicles since it came out. As long as they provide a car that customers are looking for, they fill in the gap and capture the specific market segment. Why do you even need a new chassis when C class sedan's chassis can be perfectly translated into a spacious E coupe with luxurious amenities? S5 and E coupe still pulls above average numbers. Not everyone in this segment look for how much G it can pull or how sporty the steering feels. Such move (chassis sharing) is a marketing strategy and cost saving strategic movement. I support it. Why not? S5 and E-Coupe is selling pretty damn well.

So which "class" is 6 series in? A poor man's Mercedes CL550? Give me a break. Sorry, bigger car in a higher level of class and $20,000 less price tag works for me. It will still be fast as, if not, faster than 650 in straightline, provides all the technology and luxury the 6 series offers, AND looks better. Forget the 6 series.

Last edited by lux.sh; 07-04-2011 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Too big for a coupe and one could probably have an M5 for the price.
      07-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
Zunkung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318ise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
lol. Where in my post said anything about 6 series being in the same class? For nearly $20,000 more, what the hell do we get in the 6 series? "honker just lands like poop on a princess" front? I think you need to read our statements more clearly. We never said 6 series is in same class as S5 or E Coupe. What makes 6 series so damn pricey and different from other competitions? you tell me.
It's a big fat luxurious coupe with unnecessary price tag that doesn't even satisfy technological enthusiasts. 6 series was never the key model or selling like hotcakes in BMW division anyway.

That is not a "hole". It is a hole that BMW has in its market segment. Chassis, yes, it matters, but for average buyers, does it? No, in my opinion. By the way, I knew the S5 and E Coupe were sharing chassis with younger siblings probably before you knew as I was keeping eye on those vehicles since it came out. As long as they provide a car that customers are looking for, they fill in the gap and capture the specific market segment. Why do you even need a new chassis when C class sedan's chassis can be perfectly translated into a spacious E coupe with luxurious amenities? S5 and E coupe still pulls above average numbers. Not everyone in this segment look for how much G it can pull or how sporty the steering feels. Such move (chassis sharing) is a marketing strategy and cost saving strategic movement. I support it. Why not? S5 and E-Coupe is selling pretty damn well.

So which "class" is 6 series in? A poor man's Mercedes CL550? Give me a break. Sorry, bigger car in a higher level of class and $20,000 less price tag works for me. It will still be fast as, if not, faster than 650 in straightline, provides all the technology and luxury the 6 series offers, AND looks better. Forget the 6 series.
That's true,, there is no where in your post that stated that 6 series is being in the same class with S5 or E-coupe however,, WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO COMPARE OR TALK ABOUT THE 6 SERIES WITH THOSE TWO CARS SINCE YOU KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOT IN THE SAME CLASS ANYWAY? I understand that you love those two cars more than the 6 series,, which I really understand,,, S5: nothing to talk about it looks, and Quattro system is pretty good imo. E-Coupe: I like it looks actually have to admit it, however, definitely not how it feels to drive. AND IF I'm really considering about to get a car on this segment I WILL DEFINITELY ADD ONE MORE CHOICE INTO MY CONSIDERATION "3 SERIES COUPE", NOT "6 SERIES". Also, I believe I don't even have to consider about it,,, I actually just going to take the 3 series coupe over those two cars anyday. And YES! My belief is that the 6 series is right on that same class as the CL-CLASS for mercedes, at lease here, from this side of the world. It is on the same class but aim for slightly different type of buyer in taste and style. I actually really like the looks of this new 6 series especially when I saw it in the showroom here with my own eyes, it actually looks better in real life than those are in the photos,, A LOT BETTER, I MEAN.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #12
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunkung View Post
That's true,, there is no where in your post that stated that 6 series is being in the same class with S5 or E-coupe however,, WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO COMPARE OR TALK ABOUT THE 6 SERIES WITH THOSE TWO CARS SINCE YOU KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOT IN THE SAME CLASS ANYWAY? I understand that you love those two cars more than the 6 series,, which I really understand,,, S5: nothing to talk about it looks, and Quattro system is pretty good imo. E-Coupe: I like it looks actually have to admit it, however, definitely not how it feels to drive. AND IF I'm really considering about to get a car on this segment I WILL DEFINITELY ADD ONE MORE CHOICE INTO MY CONSIDERATION "3 SERIES COUPE", NOT "6 SERIES". Also, I believe I don't even have to consider about it,,, I actually just going to take the 3 series coupe over those two cars anyday. And YES! My belief is that the 6 series is right on that same class as the CL-CLASS for mercedes, at lease here, from this side of the world. It is on the same class but aim for slightly different type of buyer in taste and style. I actually really like the looks of this new 6 series especially when I saw it in the showroom here with my own eyes, it actually looks better in real life than those are in the photos,, A LOT BETTER, I MEAN.
Cause you have to look outside the damn box. Why compare 6 series to E coupe and S5? Because they are threats to 6 series sales. Why is CL popular? Why is E coupe and S5 selling well? oh and, Why did 6 series fail last time and it looks like they will again here? If you don't see a benefit of a vehicle that is $20,000 more expensive (since $20,000 cheaper vehicle performs just as nicely, have just as much technology, and looks better), why would you buy it? Other brand makers proved that there is a beneficial and profitable market for lower-cost larger premium coupes already.

BMW pumps out this 6 series boat with 90k price tag and either asking potential S5/E-Coupe buyers to shall out extra $20,000 to buy the 6 series for nothing better, or asking potential CL buyers to save $20,000 and get the 6 series. First of all, there is no benefit of paying the extra $20k for the new 6 series in terms of all around package. So those customers are gone including myself. Second of all, those gentlemen in upper scale class and in higher social status shopping for CL which cheapest model MSRP starts at 6 digits will buy something they "want", not "cheaper". Exceptions, omitted variables, yes exists.

Of course you don't like the E coupe, you own a 3 series. Supposed to behave totally differently, and excuse me, BMW 3 series is a role model in its class. Comparing E coupe's driving characteristic to a E coupe is ridiculous at best.

Last 6 series struggled to capture a defined market segment, and this new one that isn't much more attractive with its "super bargain price tag", it really won't do much. BMW does make mistakes too. Its just that mistakes are rare.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:39 AM   #13
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

The E coupe and A5, will be up against the new 3, oh sorry, 4 serie's coupe.
Not the 6.

In the 6 class, that's where CLS and the fugly A7 is.
Compare apple to apple, not choose randomly from cars who belongs to another class, both size and regarding $ imo.
Appreciate 0