04-01-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
My 650xi Blog

I started a blog to create a central base for my reviews/posts, pictures, videos, etc. I'll still be posting here and on Bimmerfest, but I wanted to get it all linked to one place.

Hope you'll check it out, and let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions/recommendations for future videos/pictures/reviews.

http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
I think it's time somebody gives you credit not only for those videoclips, but also the balanced and informative posts in general. You sure make a lot of effort and really contribute to the forum members
I love my cars, both the big beauty and the ugly duckling born in March. So it's nice to see other guys with a strong passion for the blue and white propeller

Last edited by Superspeed; 04-02-2012 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, Superspeed. I appreciate the kind words. I'm happy to help. I'm trying to think of everything I wondered about while researching this car and waiting for mine to arrive. I'm completely in love with this car, and I want to make sure there are pics/videos and info to do the car justice. Also, with the current wait periods I'm reading about around here, these poor guys needs one pics and videos to obsess over during that long wait period. I thought the 2.5 months I had to wait was going to kill me
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Nice blog and now we need to get you into a little bit of the detailing side too
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What do you mean by the "detailing side"?

I just ordered some Gliptone cleaner, conditioner, and weekly care product that I'm hoping to try this week while I'm on Spring Break. Still waiting for it to come in as it is shipped from Britain.

Any detailing suggestions/recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
New post on fuel economy: http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Rear side windows

Just wanted to drop a thank you note as well - your videos have answered one of my 6er coupe questions which I keep forgetting to ask / check out when I've gone to the dealer.

I was hoping the rear side windows were not fixed, but looking at your videos, as the camera swoops by the driver's door controls, there are clearly only two buttons for opening the windows.

Outward-opening rear side windows seem like a small feature perhaps, but my 2001 325Ci had it (along with a moonroof which actually opened) and it was awesome driving around with all the glass (except rear window) having been open in some way. Even our GL550 has the little side windows way at the back and I can open them from the driver's side door.

Those 2 points - fixed side windows and moonroof only cracks upwards - are my main gripes with the 6er coupe. Still in love with it though.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yep, the rear windows are stationary. It would be nice if they were pillarless and retractable (like the E Class coupe), but I guess it's a small sacrifice. I assume it's for structural support that helps with rigidity and accident protection. At least the support is hidden by glass rather than a visual, painted pillar. I was worried about that big pillar making it difficult to see out the side windows, but side visibility really isn't a problem in this car if you have the mirrors set correctly.

A fully opening sunroof would be nice too, but the huge glass roof with the electronic sliding shade is great - more important to me than a sliding roof.

Trust me, when you get your car and have to manually close your trunk and slam the doors because they don't close correctly, you'll be griping more about those than the window/sunroof issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Trust me, when you get your car and have to manually close your trunk and slam the doors because they don't close correctly, you'll be griping more about those then the window/sunroof issues.
Now THAT's hilarious! Yeah that will definitely be more of an issue. Hoping the 2013 models will have those features. I have to order my 650i and it will be MY 2013 production so I am keeping fingers crossed for that!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I hope so for your sake. I avoid the trunk just so I'm not seen having to manually close it. It's embarassing when I have to pull my trunk closed when the lady in the $50k Lexus next to me just pushes a button and walks away with a satisfied smirk.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just uploaded a video of the Full LED Headlights while driving at night. It's currently being processed, so I don't have a link. I'm going to work on the leather, so it might be a while before I get back here to add the link. It should be finished and viewable (not sure if that's a word) within 5 to 10 minutes. You should be able to see it as the first video on my YouTube channel. I'll post a link later today.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #12
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Caring for Nappa Leather: http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/20...or-cattle.html
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #13
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Thanx for a thorough post on leather care

You like me has the black nappa with white contrast stitching. What worries me when applying leather care products is that the white thread might turn yellowish or even brown after some treatments.
I don't know the products you mention, so this is more like a general worry. Do you see any sign of miscoloring so far (looks perfect on the pics though)?

Luckily the climate here in Norway is very gentle to leather interiors (meaning chill climate and not too much sun). I have another car as a dd, so a treatment twice a year should do

Last edited by Superspeed; 04-06-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I paid close attention to the stitching because I was worried about fraying and bleeding color from the black leather into the gray stitching. Mine looks just as good if not better than when I bought it. I was very gentle with it (not too much rubbing), and I worried more about conditioning it than cleaning it. It's not in a spot that gets dirty, so I just wanted to get it protected. I was very happy with the result regarding both the matte finish and the crisp, clean look of the stitching.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
GetWellSoon
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92

souther I REALLY hope this car is as amazing as you make it seem, you seem to be really obsessed with it =] Because I'm a little afraid it wont feel like a $1000 a month car to me
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetWellSoon View Post
souther I REALLY hope this car is as amazing as you make it seem, you seem to be really obsessed with it =] Because I'm a little afraid it wont feel like a $1000 a month car to me
I think obsessed is a bit of an understatement lol.

Idk how the "$1000 a month" feeling compares to the "dropping $100,000 on a car" feeling I had, but it's probably pretty similar. I think the car is worth the price. It is hefty, and logic says it is over priced as it is $10,000 more than a 750Li similarly equipped. The overall experience of this car is what you pay for. It really is the best overall road car in the BMW lineup for less than the price of an M6. The M3 and M5 are technically better performance cars, I can't/won't deny that, but those cars don't have the same level of luxury, style, and exclusivity.

The key options, in my opinion, that are required to justify the $100k price point (that rivals a 911, XKR, and CL550 if enough options are added) are:

1. M Sport Package - primarily for the exhaust (most important feature, IMO), alcantara headliner, and M steering wheel; aerodynamic body panels are just lagniappe.
2. LED Headlights - these look unique and set the car apart from everything else on the road today.
3. Leather Dash with Contrast Stitching +/- black ceramic controls - this makes the interior feel like it is dripping in high quality leather and shiny black knobs. The interior moves up to Aston territory for the low, low price of $2,150 (sum of both options).

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with 6ers that lack these options... these are just the things that justify the steep price to me. If I didn't check these options, then I'd probably get an M3 because that car is just so much fun. I'd take the $30k I saved and take it out on the track from time to time. The 650i, although not quite as fun as an M3, is a better daily road car and is less common.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
GetWellSoon
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think obsessed is a bit of an understatement lol.

Idk how the "$1000 a month" feeling compares to the "dropping $100,000 on a car" feeling I had, but it's probably pretty similar. I think the car is worth the price. It is hefty, and logic says it is over priced as it is $10,000 more than a 750Li similarly equipped. The overall experience of this car is what you pay for. It really is the best overall road car in the BMW lineup for less than the price of an M6. The M3 and M5 are technically better performance cars, I can't/won't deny that, but those cars don't have the same level of luxury, style, and exclusivity.

The key options, in my opinion, that are required to justify the $100k price point (that rivals a 911, XKR, and CL550 if enough options are added) are:

1. M Sport Package - primarily for the exhaust (most important feature, IMO), alcantara headliner, and M steering wheel; aerodynamic body panels are just lagniappe.
2. LED Headlights - these look unique and set the car apart from everything else on the road today.
3. Leather Dash with Contrast Stitching +/- black ceramic controls - this makes the interior feel like it is dripping in high quality leather and shiny black knobs. The interior moves up to Aston territory for the low, low price of $2,150 (sum of both options).

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with 6ers that lack these options... these are just the things that justify the steep price to me. If I didn't check these options, then I'd probably get an M3 because that car is just so much fun. I'd take the $30k I saved and take it out on the track from time to time. The 650i, although not quite as fun as an M3, is a better daily road car and is less common.
I think I'm a moron for not getting Ceramics =\ Are they much nicer than regular silver ?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
GetWellSoon
Banned
United_States
Rep

and is it possible to buy them ? Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just don't go looking for any ceramic controls to compare and you won't care. The aluminum standard controls look fine. It's one of those tiny details that you won't miss unless you look for fault with it. The aluminum doesn't look cheap by any means - the black ceramic just looks/feels special and something you can't get on every BMW in the line up. You won't miss it... just think about the fact that you can buy an iPad for the price of putting some ceramic bits on the knobs. That should help you sleep at night lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetWellSoon View Post
and is it possible to buy them ? Thanks !
Not sure about aftermarket - haven't seen them for sale anywhere. Maybe the dealer could get them and swap them out. Probably not a cheap swap, but I'd imagine it is possible. Like I said above... don't go looking for fault and you'll be happy. That's what I'm telling myself with the B&O system. I kinda wish I had gone for it, but I really can't find a problem with the Premium. I'm sure the B&O is better, but I'm not disappointed with the Premium. Take that mentality and try not to think about it
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
GetWellSoon
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure about aftermarket - haven't seen them for sale anywhere. Maybe the dealer could get them and swap them out. Probably not a cheap swap, but I'd imagine it is possible. Like I said above... don't go looking for fault and you'll be happy. That's what I'm telling myself with the B&O system. I kinda wish I had gone for it, but I really can't find a problem with the Premium. I'm sure the B&O is better, but I'm not disappointed with the Premium. Take that mentality and try not to think about it
Also seen a white one today and liked it a lot I hope I wont be disapointed with carbon black over white aghrrhrhr so much stress
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Alpine White is probably my second favorite color behind Carbon Black. The white is slightly easier to keep clean than the CB, but CB is an M-exclusive color and is not nearly as common as white.

Honestly, as a performance car, the car is great at the base level. Not many of the options (exceptions: xDrive, ARS, M Sport - and these are still personal preferences rather than objectively improving the car) make any difference in the car's performance. Once you get the car and feel the power of it and start having some fun, you won't care about the fact that you have aluminum controls or maybe you should've picked white.

Yes, there are times when I think dynamic cruise control would be nice now or I wish I had gotten DAP rather than just HUD so I can see how close I am to a curb or the plastic speaker covers look cheap compared to the B&O, and the sound may not be quite as good.

At the end of the day, I'm still in love with my car and don't care about not having those options. When I think about the fact that I started looking at an E550 coupe I really can't complain about anything. This car is $40k more, but it is definitely worth every penny and don't care that I didn't put a $5500 sound system in it and don't have 5 cameras on the car.
Appreciate 0