BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-13-2022, 10:24 AM   #45
Chilldontsice
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F06 MG GC

Nice mods, great looking car. I was thinking of redoing my calipers where did you find heat resistant ///M decals ? Can you share the seller?
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2022, 10:31 AM   #46
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilldontsice View Post
Nice mods, great looking car. I was thinking of redoing my calipers where did you find heat resistant ///M decals ? Can you share the seller?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilldontsice View Post
Thanks for the kind words!

Funny enough I actually made them myself out of Oracal 651 vinyl and I cut them using a cheap little Cricut machine. I did not expect them to last more than a few weeks honestly but 2 years later and they look as vibrant and crisp as the day I put them on
      11-15-2022, 02:48 AM   #47
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Great write up. I got WeatherTech floor and trunk liners for mine and they look really nice. I think with your attention to detail, you would love the WeatherTech liner in the trunk. It cleans it up so much.
2018 M6 Gran Coupe> DME Stage 2 ECU Remap>Xpress Power Catless Downpipes>Resonator Delete> KW Height Adjustable Springs>Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser>Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler>Carbon Fiber Mirrors>IND Painted Front Grille> IND Painted Front Reflector>JR-34 Gunmetal Wheels, 20mm Spacer on rear, 10mm Spacer on front>RK Autowerks Carbon Air Intake>Racing Dynamics Carbon Engine Cover>Carbon Steering Wheel
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 01:52 PM   #48
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Little update -- officially entered 'keep-it-forever' territory on the way home from the airport after a work trip (even timed it with the clock):

The car is still treating me extremely well after all this time -- have a few scheduled maintenance items on the horizon with the mindset of long-term ownership (DCT service, brake service, diff service etc), but oil analysis reports continue to come back promising. Will likely be refreshing suspension components in the spring, and start to recondition the rest of the car as I start to look for the eventual add-on car, and preserve the M6.

Here's a recent photo before the fall, she still is looking good after roughly 8 years and 100,000 miles since new:

11-06-2023, 07:22 PM   #49
Kaizer84
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
Little update -- officially entered 'keep-it-forever' territory on the way home from the airport after a work trip (even timed it with the clock):

The car is still treating me extremely well after all this time -- have a few scheduled maintenance items on the horizon with the mindset of long-term ownership (DCT service, brake service, diff service etc), but oil analysis reports continue to come back promising. Will likely be refreshing suspension components in the spring, and start to recondition the rest of the car as I start to look for the eventual add-on car, and preserve the M6.

Here's a recent photo before the fall, she still is looking good after roughly 8 years and 100,000 miles since new:

Awesome man. Glad to see a 100k mile M trouble
free.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2023, 04:43 PM   #50
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer84 View Post
Awesome man. Glad to see a 100k mile M trouble
free.
Thanks! Me too

I know there are various posts and threads around these forums that downplay the reliability of this platform, and while I very could well be just an anomaly, I hope that my experience instills some confidence in others that may be worried about putting miles on.

I’ve owned this car under a few guiding principles with longevity in mind, and I haven’t found them too difficult or expensive to abide by.
  • Fluid changes at 2:1 intervals to factory recommended intervals
  • Always warm up and cool down the drivetrain accordingly
  • Leave it tune-free

I realize the last one might be contentious, and I don’t mean it to be some sort of prescription for success for everyone, it’s just my personal preference knowing that I prioritize long term longevity and dependability with this car. Tuning and performance add-ons are fun and I know a lot of people have done them and never looked back, but I decided a long time ago that 600hp should be plenty for a daily driver. If I really want to go faster and scratch that itch, I’d select a different platform than a tech-packed 4,400lb sedan. I just prefer to let this car do what it does best — cruise in total comfort and put a smile on my face when the mood strikes me.

Hopefully in the next 2-3 years I will be in a position to add a 2020+ R8 Performance or a Huracan, but I plan on always having a space in the garage for the M6

Cheers to everyone on this forum that’s contributed to my knowledge base on these cars over the years ultimately influencing this ongoing success story, appreciate you all
      11-10-2023, 10:28 AM   #51
MMMM6GC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Just saw this post as I've been away from 6post from some time - great to see you still have the F06 and it's serving you well!
      01-07-2024, 06:56 PM   #52
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Glad to see your M6 GC reach the 100k mi mark. I am hoping to reach 100k mi on my '16 X5M (which I traded my F06 for). I'm currently at ~59k mi.

Love your mods BTW.

Cheers 🍻
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 09:27 PM   #53
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Great to see this! Looks like I have a lot of miles to go. Looking foward to updates after the services.
      02-18-2024, 09:47 PM   #54
Motivology
'14 M6 GC Comp Owner
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 GC Comp

LJohnson32

Just checked out your thread - I enjoyed it. You really did some cool stuff to your M6. Any latest update on your experience since you’ve crossed the 100K mile mark? Latest mod you just completed?

-DK
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:04 PM   #55
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivology View Post
LJohnson32

Just checked out your thread - I enjoyed it. You really did some cool stuff to your M6. Any latest update on your experience since you’ve crossed the 100K mile mark? Latest mod you just completed?

-DK
Hey DK -- glad it was a worthwhile read, and I appreciate the kind words. Certainly didn't do anything groundbreaking with my 'build' but just wanted to be thoughtful with the few mods I did etc without changing the character of the car that much. From the first time I drove an M6 GC I loved nearly everything about the car in its factory state, so I didn't want to mess up an already great car in my mind.

I really haven't done any mods that aren't already documented in this thread. A lot of what's been taking place recently has been maintenance related preparing the car for the next 100k miles. 105k oil change was just done last week, and I will be taking care of pads, rotors, and front control arms here in early April.

I would like to at some point do the Akrapovic M Performance exhaust mated with some High Flow Catted DP's and the M Performance CF Mirror Caps just to really have a fully "OEM Plus" kitted car with all the M Performance parts available for it. That being said, none of these are really at the top of my priority list as far as money spend goes right now. I have been driving this car in all seasons in Minnesota (with no complaints) however I would like to add a winter vehicle for the sake of longevity with the M6. That exhaust and mirror cap money would be better served as part of a down payment on an SQ7 or MY19+ Cayenne Turbo I think

The M6 isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, so my plan is to revisit those mods down the road. Will be sure to document them here when they happen!
      03-16-2024, 12:25 PM   #56
Motivology
'14 M6 GC Comp Owner
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 GC Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
Hey DK -- glad it was a worthwhile read, and I appreciate the kind words. Certainly didn't do anything groundbreaking with my 'build' but just wanted to be thoughtful with the few mods I did etc without changing the character of the car that much. From the first time I drove an M6 GC I loved nearly everything about the car in its factory state, so I didn't want to mess up an already great car in my mind.

I really haven't done any mods that aren't already documented in this thread. A lot of what's been taking place recently has been maintenance related preparing the car for the next 100k miles. 105k oil change was just done last week, and I will be taking care of pads, rotors, and front control arms here in early April.

I would like to at some point do the Akrapovic M Performance exhaust mated with some High Flow Catted DP's and the M Performance CF Mirror Caps just to really have a fully "OEM Plus" kitted car with all the M Performance parts available for it. That being said, none of these are really at the top of my priority list as far as money spend goes right now. I have been driving this car in all seasons in Minnesota (with no complaints) however I would like to add a winter vehicle for the sake of longevity with the M6. That exhaust and mirror cap money would be better served as part of a down payment on an SQ7 or MY19+ Cayenne Turbo I think

The M6 isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, so my plan is to revisit those mods down the road. Will be sure to document them here when they happen!

I’m glad to hear your M6 is treating you well. I am curious how long it will last past 100K considering the notorious rod bearing issues.

Akrapovic M Performance exhaust system would be killer - it would add a nice finishing touch to your M6. Ha - you can’t go wrong with SQ7 or Cayenne Turbo so I get it. You can always do that mod down the road.

Good to know you’ve been driving it all season in the Minnesota weather - no issues on cold days? I try to let it warm up on cold mornings, or at least drive slow in the beginning to let it warm up.

Which mod would you say is your favorite, or your top 3? I just picked up my new-to-me high spec '14 M6 Gran Coupe Competition and looking to do some mods (tint, windshield film, wheels, apple carplay with new screen for starters).

-DK
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 03:08 PM   #57
LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m glad to hear your M6 is treating you well. I am curious how long it will last past 100K considering the notorious rod bearing issues.
Hopefully awhile! 105k oil analysis report came back from Blackstone last week showing the lowest traces of wear metals out of the last 5 samples, so the engine would appear to still be operating well

Quote:
Good to know you’ve been driving it all season in the Minnesota weather - no issues on cold days? I try to let it warm up on cold mornings, or at least drive slow in the beginning to let it warm up.
No issues on cold days really, I’m also very intentional about being careful with the car while it’s cold. I do my best to stay below ~25-35% throttle until I see the oil temp needle register

Quote:
Which mod would you say is your favorite, or your top 3? I just picked up my new-to-me high spec '14 M6 Gran Coupe Competition and looking to do some mods (tint, windshield film, wheels, apple carplay with new screen for starters).
Sounds like you’ve got a few good ones on the list so far. My favorites have been pretty subtle. I think dialing in the stance of the car really helped a lot. I went with the KW H.A.S. system to lower the car a little bit, paired with front and rear spacers (either 10mm Front / 12mm rear or 12mm Front / 15mm rear I can’t remember)

Then I would say adding the black kidneys up front (at least with my spec) paired with the M Performance lip spoiler & rear diffuser combo. Modernized the look of the car while adding some refined aggressiveness to the look

Third I would probably say the interior M Performance CF parts and CF paddles. And the ceramic control knobs too. Obviously you spend a lot of time inside the car so the things you touch and see inside the car shouldn’t get overlooked