BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-12-2018, 05:28 AM   #45
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Most people that consistently trade or upgrade cars never really settle... they think there is something better or cooler when usually that is not the case. Their new cars isn't really better than the old one and round and round they go. All while they lost a lot of money doing it and never being satisfied.
it's not always about "better or cooler". For some of us afflicted ones , what happens is that the car we once loved (I loved my first 981 Cayman S, could not stop myself from driving it), become just ordinary or dull or even worse annoying...

then we start looking for a car that will give us the driving enjoyment our old car once did...since of course you miss the excitement and enjoyment you had with the old car

part of me thinks I should give up on finding that "loving feeling" again since it will only be fleeting anyways.. but then if I don't have cars as a passion, I might end up taking up gardening
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 05:33 AM   #46
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThreePedals View Post
I'm 26 and I'm on my 10th car ( 6 MT M4 ) and what I found was to back track as to why I would get a car then why would I get rid of it and I found out it's because if I got the one step below of what I really wanted as a "way to save money" then dump thousands at it to make it what it wasn't. Like getting a Ecoboost mustang and trying to make it as fast as a 5.0, etc. Even if it became faster it still wasn't the flagship model

So with this car I made sure I had zero regrets or compromises because I plan to own it for a while. It gets tiring starting over and starting over and never having something that satisfies, plus it's financially stupid regardless if you have the money or not

I've had my M4 for 7 months now (not long at all) but it still feels fresh and new and exciting and turns heads everywhere I go since it ticks all the marks for me (RWD, 450+HP, over 20 MPG city, manual, timeless design)

Maybe you really need to think what will tick all the boxes and really dial in what car is really for you
unfortunately that car does not seem to exist in the modern market which is trending towards turbos and non-manuals...

a CPO (I want dependability, reliability and predictability in costs) light compact car with manual, non-turbo engine with good low end torque, and some style would do it for me...

if the M2 had a smooth torquey non-turbo inline six like the old s52 engine (I don't find the s54 that smooth or torquey) that car would probably do it...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:31 AM   #47
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
So I am on my 20th car, and in my mid 40's.

I think I have a problem.
Do you mod your cars?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #48
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Until he finds the LS7.
I loved my C6Z. arty0 030:
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #49
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Do you mod your cars?
i've only done mild mods...wheels suspension...minor aesthetics...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #50
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
GAS also applies to camera gear. I've spent almost as much on cameras in my life as I spent on my current car. I know the way forward now, though...just get the newest flagship bodies and prime lenses.
That's called LBA. lens Buying Addiction.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #51
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That's called LBA. lens Buying Addiction.
I have photog friends who have this baaaaaaad. I've seen more than one tear up -- literally -- after scratching, denting, or breaking a lens. Definitely a thing ...

... and not inexpensive, either. There is insurance for cars, homes, and health, of course. There is also insurance specifically for camera equipment.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #52
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i've only done mild mods...wheels suspension...minor aesthetics...
You gotta do some big boy mods. You'll be in a new world of super awesome orgasmic car heaven.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #53
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
You gotta do some big boy mods. You'll be in a new world of super awesome orgasmic car heaven.
so you are suggesting moditis is a more pleasant affliction than carswitchitis?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #54
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
imo modding a money pit unless the base car is already powerful and handles sharply enough. Sinking mods into my 2 series was the worst decision I made
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      06-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #55
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Two cars, the daily driver. Comfortable, utilitarian but enjoyable to drive and then for number 2. It goes out on the weekend, or evening runs just for shits and giggles.

This has worked for me for years, I usually keep my daily for at least 7 years, and then it gets replaced for reliability issues rather than boredom. I find that I usually end up keeping my toy for at least 5 years.
This 100%. Although I have 3 + the wife's so... maybe just more than one is the way to go.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4653.00
      06-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #56
shadowfax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'm 44 and I've owned 5 cars. Still have my 4th car. Guess I've owned more surfboards than cars at this point.

I did drive some of my parents vehicles when I was younger.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 06:30 PM   #57
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, until you get used to the power and/or you look at your bank account after you do it.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      06-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #58
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

I'm a recovered Carswitchitis sufferer.

I can tell you how I recovered, unfortunately I wouldn't recommend replicating my strategy.

First, I purchased a regular, non-m N54 BMW. Then, I modded it to be an uncompromising sports car; and paid someone else to do all the labor since I hate working under axle stands and have no room for a hoist.

Then, I purchase a very nice, very big expensive house right on the beach, and had 2 kids.

Now, I'm mortgaged to the hilt. The BMW has depreciated like a rock. It's unsalable in its current form, because who want's to buy a modified BMW, and I can barely afford to service the damn thing, let alone bring it back to stock, part it out, and buy a new car.

I probably could afford to get a second car (like, in the price range of a Miata, but not in the price range of a Lotus Elise) - but there's no room in the garage, so there'd be hell to pay with the missus.

So, I'm totally locked in to the current car and platform. I can slowly keep upgrading it, but there's no changing it.

But yes, about a year after I got the car, I got that familiar feeling that 430whp was not enough power, that a 135i was too big and heavy, and no matter what I do to this car, it'll never be a 'M'. Sitting in my convertible with the roof down on a sunny day in the middle of winter with the heater on full, the heated seats doing their job and cruise control set to exactly the speed limit - set by the accurate setting on the digital display on the dash that I was able to get by reprogramming the car myself with my android phone.... I realized I was never going to be happy with any car.

If I had enough money to buy a Mclaren, i'd probably be wearing a "Golfstream" baseball cap and bitching about the lack of a manual transmission.

Last edited by xQx; 06-12-2018 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 5
baege1320.50
dizzyF30126.00
scanspeak353.50
Viffermike1753.00
      06-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #59
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
It is for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #60
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Winter ... on the sunshine coast ... that'll do me.
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      06-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #61
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

need a spinoff of: What could you have purchased with all of the depreciation, tax, title, and license that you spent with tradeitis?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #62
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
need a spinoff of: What could you have purchased with all of the depreciation, tax, title, and license that you spent with tradeitis?
No. I don't want to feel suicidal.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      06-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #63
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
i think it's the car.

i used to switch cars every 1-2 years. until i bought a 1M almost 4.5 years ago. i honestly have 0 desire to own anything else......literally NONE. it actually scares me that i may never be able to drive anything else! lol. It's literally everything i want a car to be...and modern cars are becoming more and more detached.

the key is to buy your 'dream' car in dream spec, colour, etc. not just whatever everyone else likes.....if you have to replace them too soon it means you haven't developed any emotional attachment to them. In order to have an emotional attachment to an object it has to REALLY sing to you. Forget reviews, forget opinions....channel the version of you that was 7 years old playing with toy cars on the floor. That was me and my E30 M3 radio control toy i had as a kid. My 1M feels like that radio control car.
You don't have the disease as bad as I do...I specced my 2 caymans exactly as I wanted from the factory and my z4 coupe was the exact spec I wanted and it was my dream car and yet I tired of them all...enjoy the ride
If you ordered 2 Caymans (Caymen?); I think that eliminates a Cayman as your "dream car" in any way...unless one was crashed or something!

It has to be the "that's the one!!" feeling along with some delayed gratification (meaning not to buy it too quickly). The anticipation and imagination are 2 key ingredients to fascination.
      06-15-2018, 01:36 AM   #64
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerEisbaer View Post
That's my current situation and as many others have said as well, the two-car combo might do the trick.
The M3 "wakes me up" every weekend when I drive it. It scares me, and it keeps me focused more than any other car that I have owned (16 so far @ 32 yrs of age; If you deduct my two company cars, this is one car for each year).
Modifying the cars, tailoring it up to what you want can help - but can also frustrate you.

I tend to have kept those cars around the longest, where I can enjoy driving so much, that eventually, I will mute all thoughts and "noise" in my daily life. The Mk2 GTI does that, the E39 Cruiser does it remarkably well, and the M3 does. All the others, I use as a tool (=daily workhorses) or sell.

But don't worry, you are not alone. Definitely not.

Adding to my earlier comment, and as I mentioned in another thread as well, a good placebo could be to rent specific cars, either on Turo or on the track.

Has anyone found that to be working?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 02:30 AM   #65
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

There's a reason I Only drive my AMG once a week... so that I don't develop this disease hahaha

I love my '28i but I've become complacent with it. Exactly what I'd fear once I get married or start dailying my supercars(s)
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      06-15-2018, 02:51 AM   #66
///3dkn
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [8.67]
I'm really starting to feel the same way (again) for my F10 M5 and I've only owned it for a little over a year.

As far as BMWs goes, my first was an E92 335i, then made the switch over to an E90 M3. After the M3, i wasn't feeling it and didn't get that emotional feeling for it so I got rid of it and picked up a 13' Tundra for about a year.

But after a year of driving the truck, i really started to miss the E90 M3, so I got rid of the truck and picked up another E90 M3. Got bored of it again and picked up my current car; F10 M5.

And now i'm starting to get the same feeling again. The way I see it, I can only go up from here and thats a P-Car imo. I feel like i'll never be happy with whatever car I own.

Last edited by ///3dkn; 06-15-2018 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0