Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomade30 View Post
Probably never gonna sway this crowd, but I drive these cars on a daily basis. I would rather get a base model GTI as it’s just not that much different once you do the usual mods. The RS3 is the only MQB that feels different than the rest, and I wouldn’t say it’s a drivers car it just has gobs of power, sounds great, and comes with real leather.
No one cares about the warranty on their new car anymore?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #46
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomade30 View Post
Probably never gonna sway this crowd, but I drive these cars on a daily basis. I would rather get a base model GTI as it's just not that much different once you do the usual mods. The RS3 is the only MQB that feels different than the rest, and I wouldn't say it's a drivers car it just has gobs of power, sounds great, and comes with real leather.
We've been over this but you're fear mongering. The only ding to your warranty from a tune is if the dealer can reasonably prove that the tune caused an issue. With a GTI, they're known for having weak clutches, so adding a tune makes a clutch claim under warranty trucker, but many dealers won't do one anyway.

I've had countless tuned cars and warranty work done on all of them, $30k of it on our 135i, absolutely nothing has been denied.

As we've also covered, an APR Plus tune covers any powertrain issues that your dealer could deny if they did occur, so you're really not losing any coverage, you just have to deal with APR if an intake valve goes walkabout.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #47
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
We've been over this but you're fear mongering. The only ding to your warranty from a tune is if the dealer can reasonably prove that the tune caused an issue. With a GTI, they're known for having weak clutches, so adding a tune makes a clutch claim under warranty trucker, but many dealers won't do one anyway.

I've had countless tuned cars and warranty work done on all of them, $30k of it on our 135i, absolutely nothing has been denied.
Not that easy. As we all know, plenty of cases out there where warranty work was denied because cars were modified.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #48
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not that easy. As we all know, plenty of cases out there where warranty work was denied because cars were modified.
Maybe at the service tech level, but I'd bet the bulk of those are eventually covered if the customer at least had the ability to google Moss Ferguson.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #49
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

What this reminds me of is when the 2004 STI came out and Subaru gave away a day at the track and then idiot dealerships tried to deny all warranty claims because they'd been tracked.

Many years ago I was getting my M Coupe serviced and my advisor came out with a sheepish look on his face and said he had a question. I really didn't know what to expect, but he said there were seven or eight recorded hits against the speed governor. He visibly relaxed when I said they were all at the track. I think he was trying to figure out how to have me tailed by a cop.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #50
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Curious, isn't your MS6 Cobb'ed? Has it exploded?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #51
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It was, but removed as the car is for sale. There would be no exploding on stock turbo.
Also not a new car so if we're trying to compare them, we're going the wrong way.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #52
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It was, but removed as the car is for sale. There would be no exploding on stock turbo.
Also not a new car so if we're trying to compare them, we're going the wrong way.
Just saying that adding a tune only risks the powertrain warranty. Not the entire thing. Just as adding coil overs only risks the suspension warranty, etc. and the dealer still has the onus to prove that the aftermarket product directly caused the issue if one arises. It helps to be honest and have a good relationship with your service guy too.

I'll be over my warranty miles in under two years, so it's not a big deal to me to just run a tune from day one. But it's not for everyone, and as I recall, you're looking at a lease, so probably not worth it for that either. Although there are plenty of owners that run tunes on lease cars. We did on our X1 35i, but it was totaled, so didn't have to see if they cared.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #53
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just saying that adding a tune only risks the powertrain warranty. Not the entire thing. Just as adding coil overs only risks the suspension warranty, etc. and the dealer still has the onus to prove that the aftermarket product directly caused the issue if one arises. It helps to be honest and have a good relationship with your service guy too.

I'll be over my warranty miles in under two years, so it's not a big deal to me to just run a tune from day one. But it's not for everyone, and as I recall, you're looking at a lease, so probably not worth it for that either. Although there are plenty of owners that run tunes on lease cars. We did on our X1 35i, but it was totaled, so didn't have to see if they cared.
I never said it did, come on. Also, the powertrain is the biggest piece of the warranty. That's my whole point.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #54
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I never said it did, come on. Also, the powertrain is the biggest piece of the warranty. That's my whole point.
Bah, not on a VAG product. The powertrain will work (it might spew 4,218x the emissions it's supposed to) but the electrical gremlins will be worth having a warranty for.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #55
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

Quote:
Shop GTI has over 20k on it. Tuned since day 1, under warranty has had 3 water pumps, shifter replaced, and many heater vent motors replaced. No problem from the dealers at all. I wouldn't want to own one at 80k, but for the first 50k probably not gonna be that bad and the engines are stout.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      05-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #56
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

got the ol' bait and switch from the stealer. Nice work Audi of S, nice work. Doesn't look like a S3 is in my future after all.
Appreciate 0