BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
thebeagle
Rep
Drives: E93

soft top - black or anthracite silver fleck?

I hope for some views on whether black or anthracite silver fleck is the better option for a new 650 cab.

Unfortunately my local BMW dealer wasnt able to show me what anthracite silver fleck looks like.

I am looking at alpine white exterior with black interior and contrast stitching.

Is anthracite silver fleck a lighter black?

My concern about all black is whether it may stain easily and more likely for dirt (such as bird droppings etc) to show up.

As for anthracite silver fleck, I have never seen it but thought if its lighter black, at least stains wont show up that easily.

Grateful for any opinion.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
coolhandshin
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '11 650i Conv.

I worry anthracite silver top might look like black with dust already on it.

My exterior color is black, and goes smoothly well with black top, and while I don't really do any caring, it still looks crisp black
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
The anthracite silver top is black with a sort of silver shimmer woven in. I would not spend money on that. The silver shimmer might fade over time. The black fabric top is easy to keep clean and stays nice and black for years.
I have only positive experiences.
Besides you have to look twice to see the difference between the two tops.
I agree in coolhandshin's comments.
      09-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Harveyten
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 coupe

I considered the anthracite, then saw it in person and opted for black. Difficult to describe but it did not suit the car, it looked out of place. For me black was the right choice, especially with the shadowline trim they both look very classy! Maintenance or concerns over stains should not be an issue with black as long as you clean your car on a regular basis.

2014 M6 Coupe & 2013 X6 4.0d M Sport
Previous
2012 640d M Sport Convertible,2011-X5 4.0d M Sport,535d M Sport, 2010-M3,2009 335D M Sport, 2008 M3, 2006 X5 Le Mans, 2004 Z4 3.0, 323i first Luv
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I'd go for the solid black. I think the more drastic contrast would look better. I had a solid black canvas top on a Toyota convertible for +4 years (bought it new), and it looked just as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it off the showroom floor. I used a canvas top cleaner and conditioner a couple times a year and kept it clean with regular car wash soap and a microfiber mitt when I cleaned the rest of the car. I'd go for the solid black and not worry about it. I never experienced a single cloth-top convertible horror story. Go for it
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
sybaseian
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 640d vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeagle View Post
I hope for some views on whether black or anthracite silver fleck is the better option for a new 650 cab.

Unfortunately my local BMW dealer wasnt able to show me what anthracite silver fleck looks like.

I am looking at alpine white exterior with black interior and contrast stitching.

Is anthracite silver fleck a lighter black?

My concern about all black is whether it may stain easily and more likely for dirt (such as bird droppings etc) to show up.

As for anthracite silver fleck, I have never seen it but thought if its lighter black, at least stains wont show up that easily.

Grateful for any opinion.

Many thanks.

I have the anthracite roof on Mineral White without the shadow line :-

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
nicholastjs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 645Ci

i will definitely go for black anytime, especially that your car is white...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Jtulman33
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 650ci

I have the mineral silver soft top on my Space Gray 2013 with Shadowline and I love it. My previous car was a 2006 Black 650 convertible and found that the black soft top showed all of the fold lines after being down for a period of time and showed wear over time where the support bars on the soft top appear. I love the new mineral silver soft top. From a distance you cannot tell the color but up close the mineral silver is handsome and looks great sitting on top of the shadow line trim. Just my $.02.
Appreciate 0