BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Superfluous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Protecting Ivory Seats

I have a 6 on the way with the Ivory White Dakota leather and I want to make sure it stays Ivory. Do I need to be more worried about protecting it before it gets dirty or cleaning it after it gets dirty? What can I do and what should I use to clean?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post
I have a 6 on the way with the Ivory White Dakota leather and I want to make sure it stays Ivory. Do I need to be more worried about protecting it before it gets dirty or cleaning it after it gets dirty? What can I do and what should I use to clean?
You should sit your happy ass in the seats, drive the car, and enjoy it.

You decided to buy, essentially, a white seat. It's going age, if not get outright dirty.

If you really want to "protect" it, then Saran wrap the darn thing.

Otherwise, congrats and enjoy your new 6er in peach.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i Grand Turismo

Ivory seats

I have the Ivory Dakota Leather and they are not a problem at all...I use the car daily and they are as easy to keep as the Saddle tan I previous had in a 7 series. My sister has a black interior; in my opinion they are more work to keep clean than any other color.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous
You have nothing to worry about. They are easy to clean using liquid or foam leather cleaners. Just make sure you apply leather conditioner after each clean. My current daily driver is perforated platinum merino. My previous cars were Dakota beige and my wife's is Dakota lemon. All of them were easy to maintain with pretty much any quality leather cleaners and conditioners. I use the ones sold by BMW. I also keep some leather wet wipes handy to remove the occasional light soiling.

Tip: Avoid sitting on those seats while wearing brand new or dirty jeans.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
You should sit your happy ass in the seats, drive the car, and enjoy it.

You decided to buy, essentially, a white seat. It's going age, if not get outright dirty.

If you really want to "protect" it, then Saran wrap the darn thing.

Otherwise, congrats and enjoy your new 6er in peach.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Superfluous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

The reason I asked whether to "protect" it was because my parents spent about $1k on some leather protector for their new car that has some deal that if you or them can't clean the stain then they will replace the car seat or whatever is stained. I don't think I need something to that extreme, but curious if there are others out there.

I'll look into BMW's cleaner, however, does anyone have another specific brand?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
I have the Oyster leather in my 335i and it has been easy to keep clean. The BMW brand leather cleaner is fine; I prefer the Zaino Z9-Z10 combination for cleaning and conditioning.

I don't believe you want to go as far as trying to "seal" the leather as you mentioned; a sealant is fine for paint but I think you want to keep leather soft, with a conditioner. Just don't eat or drink in the car, use Z9-Z10 and it should stay clean
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Pick up some leatherique prestine clean and a small bottle of rejuvenator and your set. No need to shop for anything else or test products. You will love the texture, protection and feel. I'm not in any way saying the rest is garbage, but this has lasted the test of time and most high end retailers use this product exclusively

Denim transfer will be inevitable but it'll come out without any fuss. Enjoy the ride!

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0