BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-06-2023, 07:41 AM   #1
M6ORL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m6 bmw 530i

Upgrade sound system F13

Hello I'm looking to upgrade the sound of my f13 ,need some ideas. What brand of speaker you guys recommend me to buy also do i need to upgrade the amplifier as well.

I Never done this so any input would be appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 09:44 AM   #2
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Here’s my journey.

I originally went with a full digital converter from the stock MOST system to Toslink, then through a JL TWK processor, then through JL HD series amps. At that point I also had the MB Quart speaker setup designed for BMWs as well as a JL 12W6 in a custom enclosure I designed to fit up against the rear seats and “fire” through the ski pass-through.

I wasn’t super happy with the MB Quart speakers, and I eventually decided I wanted more trunk space again and never got the tuning perfect, as I traveled so much for work I didn’t have time to fiddle with it as much as I wanted to.

I have since swapped my door speakers to Focal KRS 100 with some 3D printed adapters and am running off the stock Harmon Kardon amp and I’m very happy with the swap. I’m still using the MB Quart underseat subs for now, as they sound good with most content.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 11:27 AM   #3
M6ORL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post

I have since swapped my door speakers to Focal KRS 100 with some 3D printed adapters and am running off the stock Harmon Kardon amp and I’m very happy with the swap. I’m still using the MB Quart underseat subs for now, as they sound good with most content.
Thanks for the input 👍🏼 where i can get the 3d printed adapters ? I was searching around and this looks more complicated that i thought so im thinking just swap tge Spearkers and call it, i already have 1 blown speaker for a while so 😮‍💨anything woll sound better
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 11:57 AM   #4
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6ORL View Post
Thanks for the input 👍🏼 where i can get the 3d printed adapters ? I was searching around and this looks more complicated that i thought so im thinking just swap tge Spearkers and call it, i already have 1 blown speaker for a while so 😮‍💨anything woll sound better
I got the adapters off eBay.

If you’re looking for something that’s simply plug and play, you may want to look into the Bav Sound speakers. They fit up just like the stock ones and should plug right in using the stick connectors too.

I haven’t used them myself, but I’ve heard good things about them. Just make sure to select the correct options that your car came with stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 01:17 PM   #5
TopEAlpha
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 Bmw 650xi coupe

I'm guessing someone has already pointed this out but nonetheless I feel compelled to share my experiences.
I was recently in the process of ordering either full bavasound or other aftermarket upgrade. I could hear no bass whatsoever to the point I was positive either my amp or subs under the seat were broken. I mean zero. Rest of the system sounded like a clock radio.
I have the hk top fi with supposedly the good amp.
I went to check it out once more before ordering and my girlfriend had left the fm radio on louder than normal and it sounded much better.
Little research and using iPhone via USB (aux didn't charge anything) set to lossless and the system absolutely bumps. Don't get me wrong, I don't have sub in the trunk base but it crushes the bose system in my 19 gmc.
Don't know if there is a way to get music from Spotify via android to sound good with aftermarket processor or something but the system is more than capable provided the input is to it's liking.
I can see changing the amp as it will be more receptive to different inputs and appear to make a big difference but for the 3k price tag I'll put files on a USB or keep a old iPhone in the car.
I am surprised at the hate this system gets with people who are inputting music formats it will play well. Bass is good, highs don't pierce my ears and the bass literally vibrates my seat.
At 20 I wanted to intrude everyone with my music, at 40 this system is perfect and I'll spend my 3k on something that will actually make a difference
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 03:19 AM   #6
TopEAlpha
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 Bmw 650xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopEAlpha View Post
I'm guessing someone has already pointed this out but nonetheless I feel compelled to share my experiences.
I was recently in the process of ordering either full bavasound or other aftermarket upgrade. I could hear no bass whatsoever to the point I was positive either my amp or subs under the seat were broken. I mean zero. Rest of the system sounded like a clock radio.
I have the hk top fi with supposedly the good amp.
I went to check it out once more before ordering and my girlfriend had left the fm radio on louder than normal and it sounded much better.
Little research and using iPhone via USB (aux didn't charge anything) set to lossless and the system absolutely bumps. Don't get me wrong, I don't have sub in the trunk base but it crushes the bose system in my 19 gmc.
Don't know if there is a way to get music from Spotify via android to sound good with aftermarket processor or something but the system is more than capable provided the input is to it's liking.
I can see changing the amp as it will be more receptive to different inputs and appear to make a big difference but for the 3k price tag I'll put files on a USB or keep a old iPhone in the car.
I am surprised at the hate this system gets with people who are inputting music formats it will play well. Bass is good, highs don't pierce my ears and the bass literally vibrates my seat.
At 20 I wanted to intrude everyone with my music, at 40 this system is perfect and I'll spend my 3k on something that will actually make a difference
Good luck
I will follow up by saying that last night I tried Spotify via USB on iPhone. All settings are to play music at the highest level. If I didn't know better I would have thought the stereo was broken again, no bass and all around clock radio sounding. Really strange that Apple Music is the only thing that sounds good via phone but it turns it into a completely different stereo
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 01:37 PM   #7
vaio23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650I

I have a set of Bavsound speakers replacements and underseat subwoofers for sale if you are interested
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 01:56 PM   #8
M6ORL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio23 View Post
I have a set of Bavsound speakers replacements and underseat subwoofers for sale if you are interested
Hello, how much you want forcit ? And wichone you have cause i think they have different stages
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 05:04 PM   #9
Bavariane31
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘03 530iA Sport

I think the bavsound speakers are different depending on what amp / default sound package you have.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 12:58 PM   #10
vaio23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650I

I have the Stage 1 set for the hifi premium should aka HK.
Appreciate 0