BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Snow Coming - Portable Winch?

OK, they're warning of a big snow year here in Chicago. I have put good snows (Nokian Hakkapeliittas) on my 2016 M6 GC with a manual, and use it as a daily driver. But alleys and side streets in Chicago can get really deep and messy for days.

My question is whether anybody has kept a portable electric winch in the car, to attach to a tree or post and pull the thing to safety. (There are plenty of suitable utility winches online.) Nothing makes me feel more like an a@#hole than being stuck in the snow in my fancy car. A neighbor once helped me get my 545 out, but what if it's just me and the snow's too deep. There's always a pole or tree close enough to attach (50 ft. or whatever), and I could use the tow hook on the bumper on the car side. I'm just wondering whether anybody has planned for the worst-case scenario by keeping a winch on board. Is this a ridiculous idea?

Just using public transport when the snow's deep is a coward's way out!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
dentaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 coupe

This post is like asking where I can get paddle tires for my kids big wheel.

I guess if you really want to hook a portable winch to a 100k+ car have at it, my car would never leave the garage in such weather, I use the truck on days like this.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

If you can afford a M6...you can afford a beater 4x4.....

Just say'n....

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
DentalBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post

Just say'n....

if he owns an M6, Maybe he cant afford anyting else??

Just sayin....
E60 M5 Dinan stg3,hiflow throttle bodies,coldair,evosport rear diff,Eisenmann Race sold
E39 M5 UUC short shift,UUC Corsa and More Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post

Just say'n....

It's true I should just have an alternate vehicle, but I can take public transport mostly, too. All that just seems like a cop-out: I like driving the M6 in the snow. Plus it's simpler not to have to manage a beater parked all but a few days of the year.

Alright, I'll just leave it home on super snow days. No fun at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #6
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
It's true I should just have an alternate vehicle, but I can take public transport mostly, too. All that just seems like a cop-out: I like driving the M6 in the snow. Plus it's simpler not to have to manage a beater parked all but a few days of the year.

Alright, I'll just leave it home on super snow days. No fun at all.
screw that. If you want to drive it in the snow, drive it in the snow. Get some serious studded snows and go at it. It isn't any worse than any other rear wheel drive car on the road - just keep it in comfort+ until you find that pristine wide open parking lot with no light poles. Then deactivate traction control and unleash your inner 16 year old!
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 1
JakeBMW11.50
      12-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
screw that. If you want to drive it in the snow, drive it in the snow. Get some serious studded snows and go at it. It isn't any worse than any other rear wheel drive car on the road - just keep it in comfort+ until you find that pristine wide open parking lot with no light poles. Then deactivate traction control and unleash your inner 16 year old!
Thanks for the encouragement! It's fine in snow, but its belly is at risk of getting hung up on icy ruts. Then I'm screwed. I guess I'll make my wife come find me and pull me out with her 535 xi.

The Nokian seem like the best I can do for traction, although I hate the way it handles. It makes me look forward to April's tire change....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! It's fine in snow, but its belly is at risk of getting hung up on icy ruts. Then I'm screwed. I guess I'll make my wife come find me and pull me out with her 535 xi.

The Nokian seem like the best I can do for traction, although I hate the way it handles. It makes me look forward to April's tire change....
If you have 6" deep icy ruts then you shouldn't be out in anything! Im from the snow country of Upstate NY which is probably a good bit worse than Chicago. I have driven a lot of rear wheel drive cars in winters and have only ever gotten hung up when snow was too deep, not from ruts. As long as plows are out you should be fine.

Nokians are the best snow tire on the market and its not even close. They are squirmy when you get on it, but you can also stick your thumb nail into the sidewall on a -10 degree morning like you can your pirellis on a 100 degree day. That softness is what gives you winter traction like nothing else, but it does come at a price.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
tab
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
If you have 6" deep icy ruts then you shouldn't be out in anything! Im from the snow country of Upstate NY which is probably a good bit worse than Chicago. I have driven a lot of rear wheel drive cars in winters and have only ever gotten hung up when snow was too deep, not from ruts. As long as plows are out you should be fine.

Nokians are the best snow tire on the market and its not even close. They are squirmy when you get on it, but you can also stick your thumb nail into the sidewall on a -10 degree morning like you can your pirellis on a 100 degree day. That softness is what gives you winter traction like nothing else, but it does come at a price.
Thanks. It helps to hear a vote for the Nokians. Squirmy is a good word for them on dry pavement, but they do stick to the ice. It's nice to hear they plow the thoroughfares where you live. Chicago will never even claim to plow alleys, and side streets can be pretty disastrous for a long time after a big snow. Plows push huge, hard rows of snow in front of alleys, making the alley/ street transition the biggest point of drama. I consider all the shoveling I do to be in lieu of a visit to the gym!

I like our snow. See our yard right now below. Have a merry Christmas!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0