02-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #23
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GannyCy View Post
My new 640i Gran Coupe M Sport with 20" wheels performs extremely poorly in snow. Its my first car with summer performance tires and they clearly are not even suitable for even the little snow we receive in Dallas (I had to get pushed up a hill yesterday by my neighbors).
Whatever summer performance tire would do very poorly in snow especially summer performance RFT.
There're lots of spin for sure.
But if you disable traction control and put car in sport+, probably you would not need your neighbours' help.
2017 M3 Comp PKG 2017 MINI JCW
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #24
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

20" Wheels

The 20" wheels have summer tires, which probably are only good in Southern California or Southern Florida - especially with the weather we have had this winter. As LSM points out, the summer tires just don't like temps lower than 40 and they hate temps lower than 40 coupled with rain or bad weather. Nokian makes a great tire - the WRG2 and WRG3 that work wonderful - but it does not look like they come in the size needed for the GC.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #25
'17 750i Msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Are all 6GC owners former X6 owners?
Just got out of an '11 550i m sport. Loved the car but horrible in even light snow with performance tires. I have the 650i for 2 weeks now, xdrive with 19" all season tires. We are getting hammered in NY this winter and the car performs unbelievable in the snow. Glad I got the 19"s. It is my daily driver. I believe there were so many people in ny/nj area that had issues with the 20" ers that almost all the dealers in my area ordered the 2014's with the 19" wheels/ xdrive cars.
So glad they did.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #26
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by '11 Bimmer View Post
Just got out of an '11 550i m sport. Loved the car but horrible in even light snow with performance tires. I have the 650i for 2 weeks now, xdrive with 19" all season tires. We are getting hammered in NY this winter and the car performs unbelievable in the snow. Glad I got the 19"s. It is my daily driver. I believe there were so many people in ny/nj area that had issues with the 20" ers that almost all the dealers in my area ordered the 2014's with the 19" wheels/ xdrive cars.
So glad they did.
Looks like it's official. The 20'' ///M Sport basic issue stock tires are not designed to handle the snow. I hope we don't continue to get the weather we have been dealing with for much longer...

I was being cheap because I didn't want to spend much money on after market parts for a leased car, but it would seem like the wise thing to do would be to get her some snow shoes.
      02-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #27
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Looks like it's official. The 20'' ///M Sport basic issue stock tires are not designed to handle the snow. I hope we don't continue to get the weather we have been dealing with for much longer...

I was being cheap because I didn't want to spend much money on after market parts for a leased car, but it would seem like the wise thing to do would be to get her some snow shoes.
Get her a snow boots. It will be just around $1500 for a sexy replica rim and a decent blizzak snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #28
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:

OMG Yes. I had a friend who had a 2003 GS430 here in Chicago (he always seems to get the same car as me...ahem) and he said "I don't need snow tires. I only live 2 miles from work."

After the first snow fall, he called me basically crying. Said it was over an hour to get home and even then he could not get up the 1" lip of his driveway. These summer tires are plain dangerous in the winter and should not be used. My neighbor had one of the first 2004 545s and almost got stuck crossing rail tracks one winter (leased car, did not want snows). And as noted, AWD does not help here - the tires just don't work.

For my previous leased cars, I purchased some used rims, then bought snow tires and TPMS sensors. If you buy from Discount Tire, they will even swap your wheels for you at no charge (yes, put the snow tire/rims in your car, drive over there, they put them on, bag your old ones for you to take home) -repeat in the spring (Nov 15/April 15 were always my two days). Dealers will also do this and store them (for like $200 a year)

When you sell the car, sell the tire/wheels - lots of people will buy them.

More tips..
Get OEM BMW wheels not something from tirerack. You might have these on for 6 months and you paid a lot of money for your car -you don't want to hate to look at it 6 months out of the year. Plenty of people will sell you the wheels that they don't want (and if they have all seasons on them, well that might work out just fine*)
Always go with a narrow tire. So if you have 20s, try going with a 19 or an 18 if it will fit. Wide tires float on top of the snow and you slip/slide more. Narrow tires cut through the snow.
*True snow tires suck in the dry and wet. In fact, they are often more dangerous than an all season in these cases. Their stopping distances in the dry are horrific and the wet is not much better. So determine if you need a TRUE snow tire or a great all season will work for you. The guys over at Nokian (one of the top snow tired mfgs) turned me onto their WRG2/3 series tires. They work AMAZING in the snow, but ultimately are just an all season. I've put two sets on my Mother in-law's Kia and truth be told, if I had the choice, I would drive her car in the snow over my X6 with stock all seasons. For you guys in northern Texas or even Atlanta, I'd go with an 19" all-season tire vs. a snow.

Oh and nothing beats a summer tire in the summer - for both dry and wet. So the best of both worlds is changing your tires.

Oh and if you are considering a S6 like I am, strangely, Nokia makes a 19" and a 20" that fits the car. Weird sign.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #29
BillCB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i X Gran Coupe M Sport

Garage List
There's lots of reference to snow tires in this thread - whereas what we should speak of is winter tires. Even here in Canada, 90% of city winter driving is on bare pavement and what is important is traction in cold weather.

Good winter tires have a soft compound that grips well at temperatures below 7C (about 45F). In my experience they are quite good in the wet and in the very cold dry.

Driving on summer tires in cold temperatures is about as effective as riding a puck in a hockey rink.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #30
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519 View Post
Get her a snow boots. It will be just around $1500 for a sexy replica rim and a decent blizzak snow tires.
Yous said it! TIme to go shopping!
      02-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #31
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
OMG Yes. I had a friend who had a 2003 GS430 here in Chicago (he always seems to get the same car as me...ahem) and he said "I don't need snow tires. I only live 2 miles from work."

After the first snow fall, he called me basically crying. Said it was over an hour to get home and even then he could not get up the 1" lip of his driveway. These summer tires are plain dangerous in the winter and should not be used. My neighbor had one of the first 2004 545s and almost got stuck crossing rail tracks one winter (leased car, did not want snows). And as noted, AWD does not help here - the tires just don't work.

For my previous leased cars, I purchased some used rims, then bought snow tires and TPMS sensors. If you buy from Discount Tire, they will even swap your wheels for you at no charge (yes, put the snow tire/rims in your car, drive over there, they put them on, bag your old ones for you to take home) -repeat in the spring (Nov 15/April 15 were always my two days). Dealers will also do this and store them (for like $200 a year)

When you sell the car, sell the tire/wheels - lots of people will buy them.

More tips..
Get OEM BMW wheels not something from tirerack. You might have these on for 6 months and you paid a lot of money for your car -you don't want to hate to look at it 6 months out of the year. Plenty of people will sell you the wheels that they don't want (and if they have all seasons on them, well that might work out just fine*)
Always go with a narrow tire. So if you have 20s, try going with a 19 or an 18 if it will fit. Wide tires float on top of the snow and you slip/slide more. Narrow tires cut through the snow.
*True snow tires suck in the dry and wet. In fact, they are often more dangerous than an all season in these cases. Their stopping distances in the dry are horrific and the wet is not much better. So determine if you need a TRUE snow tire or a great all season will work for you. The guys over at Nokian (one of the top snow tired mfgs) turned me onto their WRG2/3 series tires. They work AMAZING in the snow, but ultimately are just an all season. I've put two sets on my Mother in-law's Kia and truth be told, if I had the choice, I would drive her car in the snow over my X6 with stock all seasons. For you guys in northern Texas or even Atlanta, I'd go with an 19" all-season tire vs. a snow.

Oh and nothing beats a summer tire in the summer - for both dry and wet. So the best of both worlds is changing your tires.

Oh and if you are considering a S6 like I am, strangely, Nokia makes a 19" and a 20" that fits the car. Weird sign.
Thank you for all of the advice. You seem to be very knowledgeable on this subject, so thanks for shaing with the rest of us.

What you say makes a lot of sense. On all of my previous cars, I have always picked up some aftermarket wheels, and wrapped them in all season tires. Over the years, my experience with the all season tires never let me down in many different weather conditions.

This is the first car I've decided to stay stock with the tires, but we all seem to be in agreement that the stock 20'' are no good in the cold.

I will do some research this weekend, then pick out some nice all season tires for the GC, and just hope that I don't get carried away and end up picking out some 21/22 inch wheels as some habits are hard to break out of, lol... and I have doing so well for the past year...
      02-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #32
'17 750i Msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

The all season tires that came with my car are 245/45R19 Goodyear Eagle LS2 run flats.
They handled the snow great and are also great on dry pavement.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #33
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by '11 Bimmer View Post
The all season tires that came with my car are 245/45R19 Goodyear Eagle LS2 run flats.
They handled the snow great and are also great on dry pavement.
They are a great solution for an all around tire but they aren't the best in either summer or winter. It is all I have used in the last 4 years and I am happy but let's be realistic. I personally don't need anything else but if you are in an area that requires a real snow tire, this isn't it. Also, if you are looking to maximize the performance in warm weather, these won't do it either.

Come to think of it, if the all season run flats on a GC don't work for you, you chose the wrong car
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 03:17 AM   #34
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
You do not need to think about it anymore. You got the perfect GC, comparing with GC, the interior of it is just dated.
Maybe you gonna think about it again once next generation comes out.
X6 is still a very sexy beast by today's standard. Even my mom who doesn't give a damn about car called me a few years ago, when I still had my old X5, and told me that I should trade in my X5 for X6.

Saw spy shots of new X6, and it looks stale as if they didn't even bother trying with the design.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #35
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
X6 is still a very sexy beast by today's standard. Even my mom who doesn't give a damn about car called me a few years ago, when I still had my old X5, and told me that I should trade in my X5 for X6.

Saw spy shots of new X6, and it looks stale as if they didn't even bother trying with the design.
For me, If they are going to let the X6 design unchanged would be better, the F15 X5 just looks strange for me, but I can't tell where's wrong with the car's design. Just like MB CLA, when I am looking at it constantly, I just feel there is something wrong with the design.
For me, If they are going to make the X6 body design unchanged or minor change, but upgrade the interior to the current X5(F15) level or make the interior sportier. I will make my mind to purchase a X6M as my next car.
For me, I have already decided my next car gonna be a SUV, either Porsche Cayenne GTS or next generation X6M. Even I really like the new M4, but I will choose to put the $ 100,000(around) into my investment. Personally, I never leased any car, all paid off.
As I have thought about car staff again and again, I think a good looking, fast, and sporty SUV will be all I need. I am never been a track guy, so I think a decent SUV will be my ultimate driving machine.
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #36
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

OOPS, we got snow again in Toronto today, she is till doing better than some SUV guys without snow tire.
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #37
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:

I agree. The X6 is one of my favorite cars on the road right now.

I even plan on picking up another X6... but going the ///M route next time.

Once in a while, I still miss my old X6... especially with the weather we have been having lately.

Too bad I can't afford to have both, lol
      02-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #38
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For me, If they are going to let the X6 design unchanged would be better, the F15 X5 just looks strange for me, but I can't tell where's wrong with the car's design. Just like MB CLA, when I am looking at it constantly, I just feel there is something wrong with the design.
For me, If they are going to make the X6 body design unchanged or minor change, but upgrade the interior to the current X5(F15) level or make the interior sportier. I will make my mind to purchase a X6M as my next car.
For me, I have already decided my next car gonna be a SUV, either Porsche Cayenne GTS or next generation X6M. Even I really like the new M4, but I will choose to put the $ 100,000(around) into my investment. Personally, I never leased any car, all paid off.
As I have thought about car staff again and again, I think a good looking, fast, and sporty SUV will be all I need. I am never been a track guy, so I think a decent SUV will be my ultimate driving machine.
Let me tell you what's wrong with new X5, it is too conservative/bland. New X5 looks like a mixed of E53 and E70.

Spy shots of new X6.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/22/u...ng-in-germany/

The boxy front with sleek back don't quite get along IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #39
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree. The X6 is one of my favorite cars on the road right now.

I even plan on picking up another X6... but going the ///M route next time.

Once in a while, I still miss my old X6... especially with the weather we have been having lately.

Too bad I can't afford to have both, lol
I feel like BMW SUV F generations are weak on the design, including upcoming X6 from spy shots. I'm sure that the interior quality is way better than previous generation.

This winter is pretty mess up, west coast is expecting worst drought in many years but east coast is getting out of control storm.

I am sure you are getting all the adrenalin you ever needed from your S1000RR. Probably more than any M car can ever offer.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #40
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Let me tell you what's wrong with new X5, it is too conservative/bland. New X5 looks like a mixed of E53 and E70.

Spy shots of new X6.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/22/u...ng-in-germany/

The boxy front with sleek back don't quite get along IMO.
I feel the front of the next generation X6 looks Okay, but the side profile just looks strange. It is too coupe-ish. If BMW really is going to make the X6 like this, I would trade in my 650GC to get a X6M in this year. the new X6 will come out soon, I think there could be a huge discount from dealer.
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #41
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
I feel like BMW SUV F generations are weak on the design, including upcoming X6 from spy shots. I'm sure that the interior quality is way better than previous generation.

This winter is pretty mess up, west coast is expecting worst drought in many years but east coast is getting out of control storm.

I am sure you are getting all the adrenalin you ever needed from your S1000RR. Probably more than any M car can ever offer.
I know what you mean about the "blandness" of the F generation X5/X6.

When I first saw a picture of the X6 back in 2008, I knew I had to have one. Started saving my pennies that day. Then when I saw one in person a few months later, I remember having a wide eyed, slacked jaw expression. The Spy shots of the next gen X6 is just not doing it for me, however. Maybe when it drops all of the camo, I might get excited about the new X6.

The new X5 is not bad looking, but it doesn't have that eye grabbing design like the first X5 did in 1999/2000, and even when it went through a face lift in 2007, it still had an attention grabbing presence. There are certain points on the latest X5 that I like, especially on the inside, but the whole package is not calling out to me like the X6 did when it first arrived on the scene.

Right now, I think the perfect car for me would have the interior design of the 6GC, with the exterior design of the current X6M. I would be quite content with that, lol. This is my humble opinion, of course.

The bike DEFINITELY still has the wow factor, but she looks soo sad because she has been just sitting in the garage for the past 3 months

Winter needs to go away now. Enough is enough.
      02-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #42
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
I feel the front of the next generation X6 looks Okay, but the side profile just looks strange. It is too coupe-ish. If BMW really is going to make the X6 like this, I would trade in my 650GC to get a X6M in this year. the new X6 will come out soon, I think there could be a huge discount from dealer.
Get out of my head!! You are reading my mind.

I was thinking the same thing. If the next gen X6 will mirror the X5 just like the out going versions did, then I believe my next car will be a CPO 2013/2014 X6M.

Let me know how the trade in works for you, or what research you have been doing if and when you decide to turn in the GC for the X6M.

I have thought about going for the same trade in, but I am worried about the financial hit I might have to take, and if it would be worth it. If it were possible to trade the GC in for a 13/14 X6M today, without suffering any financial back-lash, I would clean out the GC today and hand in the keys.

I really do enjoy the GC. It is a beautiful car inside and out, the driving dynamics still amaze me even after a year behind the wheel, and I like all the tech I get to play with when I power her up, but I just miss certain aspects of the SUV type cars I have been driving for the past 8 years between my former X6 and MDX I had before that. Not to mention this winter has reminded me that SUV is the way to go when the weather is not ideal for the bike. My 2 cents... end rant.
      02-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #43
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Get out of my head!! You are reading my mind.

I was thinking the same thing. If the next gen X6 will mirror the X5 just like the out going versions did, then I believe my next car will be a CPO 2013/2014 X6M.

Let me know how the trade in works for you, or what research you have been doing if and when you decide to turn in the GC for the X6M.

I have thought about going for the same trade in, but I am worried about the financial hit I might have to take, and if it would be worth it. If it were possible to trade the GC in for a 13/14 X6M today, without suffering any financial back-lash, I would clean out the GC today and hand in the keys.

I really do enjoy the GC. It is a beautiful car inside and out, the driving dynamics still amaze me even after a year behind the wheel, and I like all the tech I get to play with when I power her up, but I just miss certain aspects of the SUV type cars I have been driving for the past 8 years between my former X6 and MDX I had before that. Not to mention this winter has reminded me that SUV is the way to go when the weather is not ideal for the bike. My 2 cents... end rant.
Will keep you informed, Samurai of 2day.
I remember when last time I was dinning with my sales person (he is also my personal friend actually). I mentioned my mind about trade in 650GC for a x6m to him. He told me right now he also does not have any information about the out coming x6, but he also said if the x6 is really going out next year, the huge discount of X6 models will start around this year May or June.
As I am in Canada, so I just can tell you something what could be expected for Canadians.
For X5's case, I remember all x5 models get $10000 factory discount when the F15 X5 been announced. MSRP for a well equipped X5M is around $120,000+tax(13%HST) in Ontario Canada. Usually, if you go to buy a BMW, you can get 5% to 8% discount at normal days. However, my friend who is also a friend of my sales person, he got a x5m at $106,700(tax included) last year.
I think this is what I can expect for x6m also, because X6m and the X5M are almost identical price in Canada.
I will keep you informed when I get any info back from my sales person.
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #44
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Will keep you informed, Samurai of 2day.
I remember when last time I was dinning with my sales person (he is also my personal friend actually). I mentioned my mind about trade in 650GC for a x6m to him. He told me right now he also does not have any information about the out coming x6, but he also said if the x6 is really going out next year, the huge discount of X6 models will start around this year May or June.
As I am in Canada, so I just can tell you something what could be expected for Canadians.
For X5's case, I remember all x5 models get $10000 factory discount when the F15 X5 been announced. MSRP for a well equipped X5M is around $120,000+tax(13%HST) in Ontario Canada. Usually, if you go to buy a BMW, you can get 5% to 8% discount at normal days. However, my friend who is also a friend of my sales person, he got a x5m at $106,700(tax included) last year.
I think this is what I can expect for x6m also, because X6m and the X5M are almost identical price in Canada.
I will keep you informed when I get any info back from my sales person.
This is great info. Thanks for that. I know that these cars are more expensive for you guys in Canada VS us in the USA. Still, I will let you know how things are on my end, becuase with the knowledge you provided in the above post, I will keep my eye out for discounts on the out going X6 when production starts on the F chassis X6.

Last edited by Samurai of 2day; 02-11-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0