BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #23
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
In short:
- 650xi: best car for a (semi-reasonable) price for a daily driver.
- M3: best car BMW makes for the track, and arguably the best driver's car in existence under $200k.
- M6: the flagship BMW that works well on the track and as a daily driver and gets the most admiration; however, it isn't as good on a track as the M3 (unless maybe you're a pro driver, but even a few instructors said the M3 was their favorite) and it costs about $15k to $20k more than an equally equipped 650xi.
With you on that! Precisely why I have the 650i GC and a M3 (but only the lesser E93 version)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #24
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
My car is Carbon Black Metallic with Black Nappa and Gray Poplar trim. The black undoubtedly shows the dirt more than a Space Gray or Vermillion Red, but I don't regret my decision. Even though the car is my daily driver, the black isn't impossible to live with - and I'm in a rainy, pollen-rich environment. It requires washing once a week (twice sometimes during the spring), but it really isn't too bad. I occasionally spray it off the use the aerodynamics and the buckets of torque in the car to blast off the water for midweek quickies. It's not perfect, but it does the trick. I'm very careful when I wash it to prevent swirls, but my car is still nearly perfect (even to my extremely OCD eye) after 16 months - and my car sits outside all the time as opposed to being tucked safely in a garage.

In think white, Space Gray, and Deep Sea Blue also look great on this car. There's really not a bad choice. I wanted black, and I didn't want to make a practical decision on such a defining aspect if my car (which laughs in the face of practicality).
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #25
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

Quote:
My car is Carbon Black Metallic with Black Nappa and Gray Poplar trim. The black undoubtedly shows the dirt more than a Space Gray or Vermillion Red, but I don't regret my decision. Even though the car is my daily driver, the black isn't impossible to live with - and I'm in a rainy, pollen-rich environment. It requires washing once a week (twice sometimes during the spring), but it really isn't too bad. I occasionally spray it off the use the aerodynamics and the buckets of torque in the car to blast off the water for midweek quickies. It's not perfect, but it does the trick. I'm very careful when I wash it to prevent swirls, but my car is still nearly perfect (even to my extremely OCD eye) after 16 months - and my car sits outside all the time as opposed to being tucked safely in a garage.

In think white, Space Gray, and Deep Sea Blue also look great on this car. There's really not a bad choice. I wanted black, and I didn't want to make a practical decision on such a defining aspect if my car (which laughs in the face of practicality).
Thanks again. Man have you ever see the car with bronze in real? My dealer has one fully loaded with that color. Just wonder what is your opinion of that color.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #26
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My dealer actually just got one in. I noticed it when I stopped by last Sunday. I'm planning on going back to see it up close. It does look like a very cool and unique car. I don't think I'd want to live with it, but definitely an interesting color.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #27
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My dealer actually just got one in. I noticed it when I stopped by last Sunday. I'm planning on going back to see it up close. It does look like a very cool and unique car. I don't think I'd want to live with it, but definitely an interesting color.
Thanks again. I have done some research online and it seems like an individual color. The exact color is the frozen matte bronze. the interiors are brown and white. I do like the exterior, but the white seats probably will get dirts super easily.
2017 M3 Comp PKG 2017 MINI JCW
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=mlai;14180640]With you on that! Precisely why I have the 650i GC and a M3 (but only the lesser E93 version)[/QUO

Mlai, I saw you also have a 650 GC currently, and there is a m3 in your garage list. Nice collections. Can you tell me what are the straight line acceleration differences between 650 GC and M3? Is it obvious?
2017 M3 Comp PKG 2017 MINI JCW
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #29
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
[QUOTE=wzj519;14184656]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
With you on that! Precisely why I have the 650i GC and a M3 (but only the lesser E93 version)[/QUO

Mlai, I saw you also have a 650 GC currently, and there is a m3 in your garage list. Nice collections. Can you tell me what are the straight line acceleration differences between 650 GC and M3? Is it obvious?
Simple. M3 kicks you in the butt if you step on it. 650GC is like you are in a jet taking off.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #30
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And both make you say, "Holy $h!t, how did I go from 30 to 80 so fast?!?"
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #31
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I cannot wait to take a 650 any more. Pick up one as fast as possible and share with you guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #32
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=mlai;14186911]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519 View Post

Simple. M3 kicks you in the butt if you step on it. 650GC is like you are in a jet taking off.
Sit in a jet feels better.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #33
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Seriously! I got aggravated that the car in front of me was entering a highway at 30mph, I changed lanes and pushed it a bit so that I wouldn't impede on the cars in the my lane and by the time I looked down I was already at 90mph.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #34
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Seriously! I got aggravated that the car in front of me was entering a highway at 30mph, I changed lanes and pushed it a bit so that I wouldn't impede on the cars in the my lane and by the time I looked down I was already at 90mph.
Nice. I think the all wheel drive system and 480 torque definitely help it. just 20 less than m6.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #35
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
There are only two ways to get onto on ramps:

1. Drop a couple gears and put the right pedal to the floor and then crap yourself when you see how fast you're going - not good for the interior, be the way.
2. Get to the ramp with a van traveling at a snail's pace blocking your progress. Can't tell you how many times I have to start breaking because a big white van is in my way.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #36
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There are only two ways to get onto on ramps:

1. Drop a couple gears and put the right pedal to the floor and then crap yourself when you see how fast you're going - not good for the interior, be the way.
2. Get to the ramp with a van traveling at a snail's pace blocking your progress. Can't tell you how many times I have to start breaking because a big white van is in my way.
Hmm...not sure why there are so many big white vans in Alabama. In Austin it's the million Prius' that get in your way, you already have a car with great gas milage do they really have to try as hard as they can to get the most out of it?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #37
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It's kinda like revving an engine in a big V8 - the only way to get noticed in a Prius is to menace other road users by going ridiculously slowly. People who drive Priuses expect our cars to end the world. You'd think they'd get a move on it the end is so near...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #38
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

This city is now getting saturated with Teslas, hopefully the torque in the Tesla will prevent them from going slow.

If I had to guess, I would say Austin currently has the most Teslas per capita. I see a new one almost everyday, not sure how that could be when there is supposedly a year waiting list.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #39
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
This city is now getting saturated with Teslas, hopefully the torque in the Tesla will prevent them from going slow.

If I had to guess, I would say Austin currently has the most Teslas per capita. I see a new one almost everyday, not sure how that could be when there is supposedly a year waiting list.
Damn, I wouldn't mind being slowed down by a Tesla. Never seen one around my neck of the woods.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #40
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
I know this gets some members riled up, but its a laughable discussion on the LEDs vs Xenons. The car speaks for itself, and only the very very few members who are passionate about such things care at all. I promise you that if you drove next to someone else in the same car but one had the LEDs and one the Xexons, 100 out of a 100 people would not know the difference, nor care less. There is no magic in the beauty of the LEDs that make the Xenons look at all less pleasing when they see the GC. Its only in the mind that it makes a difference as you as the driver and owner never see them in action, youre behind the wheel, so there's no need to impress anyone that isnt in the driver seat...jmho
LED lights are like any other option discussed on forums. Those who stumped up for them will consider them indispensable and those that didn't will suggest they're a complete waste of money and superfluous.

I'll start by admitting I have them, but I didn't spec my car it was a pre-reg, so I also didn't directly pay for them (all pre-reg's/demos/pre-orders were specd to similar price, so my choice was between options, as I haggled a few down to a similar discount).

From my experience, approx 1 in 3 people who've talked to me about the car (friends, family, strangers) have mentioned the lights. They may not know they are LED lights, but they have noticed the aesthetics and/or the quality of the light they produce. This is of course unprompted by me, once I've mentioned they're LED lights most pick up on those aspects. Bear in mind I live in London, so BMWs with Xenon/standard Angel Eyes are hardly a rarity.

Personally once I'd seen them in the metal (or glass maybe more appropriate) I knew they'd be pretty high up my priority of options. Firstly I much preferred them aesthetically, both on and off. Secondly I liked the quality of light they produce (although not as much a jump as Xenons first were, I still found the difference noticeable, but without getting a meter out its difficult to tell how much is real and how much in my "head"). And finally I remember how quickly cars without Xenons "aged" to my eye, as Xenons became ubiquitous in cars of that class. The CLS sport already has LED headlights as standard in the UK, I can see them becoming more common in cars of the 6ers class and therefore feel having them will keep my car looking more contemporary over the ownership period.

WRT not being able to see them once I'm in the car, that logic can be applied to any external aesthetic aspect of the car. I see them as often as I see the 20s the car sits on, going by that logic I should swap them for 18s and get some cash plus a better ride :/ Ultimately cars such as the 6GC exist because owners care about the external aesthetics of their car, despite spending most of their time looking at the inside. Unfortunately I fall within that group and my wallet pays for it

To add some perspective, I'd still by a 6GC over the other cars I considered regardless of the availability of LED headlights. Its in no way a deal breaker, and to my eyes even on 19s without the MSport kit its a beautifull car. But to suggest 100% of people wouldn't notice the difference is not realistic IMO, moreover as LED headlights become more common place the numbers that notice will only increase.

Last edited by Mentos; 06-25-2013 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #41
Reeses83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes E550 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post

San Jose is also saturated with Teslas. I see 10-15 daily but the company is based out of sicilcon valley. They look very nice but in my city the GC is more rare.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #42
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
LED lights are like any other option discussed on forums. Those who stumped up for them will consider them indispensable and those that didn't will suggest they're a complete waste of money and superfluous.

I'll start by admitting I have them, but I didn't spec my car it was a pre-reg, so I also didn't directly pay for them (all pre-reg's/demos/pre-orders were specd to similar price, so my choice was between options, as I haggled a few down to a similar discount).

From my experience, approx 1 in 3 people who've talked to me about the car (friends, family, strangers) have mentioned the lights. They may not know they are LED lights, but they have noticed the aesthetics and/or the quality of the light they produce. This is of course unprompted by me, once I've mentioned they're LED lights most pick up on those aspects. Bear in mind I live in London, so BMWs with Xenon/standard Angel Eyes are hardly a rarity.

Personally once I'd seen them in the metal (or glass maybe more appropriate) I knew they'd be pretty high up my priority of options. Firstly I much preferred them aesthetically, both on and off. Secondly I liked the quality of light they produce (although not as much a jump as Xenons first were, I still found the difference noticeable, but without getting a meter out its difficult to tell how much is real and how much in my "head"). And finally I remember how quickly cars without Xenons "aged" to my eye, as Xenons became ubiquitous in cars of that class. The CLS sport already has LED headlights as standard in the UK, I can see them becoming more common in cars of the 6ers class and therefore feel having them will keep my car looking more contemporary over the ownership period.

WRT not being able to see them once I'm in the car, that logic can be applied to any external aesthetic aspect of the car. I see them as often as I see the 20s the car sits on, going by that logic I should swap them for 18s and get some cash plus a better ride :/ Ultimately cars such as the 6GC exist because owners care about the external aesthetics of their car, despite spending most of their time looking at the inside. Unfortunately I fall within that group and my wallet pays for it

To add some perspective, I'd still by a 6GC over the other cars I considered regardless of the availability of LED headlights. Its in no way a deal breaker, and to my eyes even on 19s without the MSport kit its a beautifull car. But to suggest 100% of people wouldn't notice the difference is not realistic IMO, moreover as LED headlights become more common place the numbers that notice will only increase.
completely reasonable assessment, cannot argue at all!

Regarding must have options, I would say though that after living with the car for some time, the luxury seats are near indespensable! Id just recommend to all to sit in them and consider them a must have, they are brilliant...cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #43
AlphaAlpineM6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 & 2012 AMG CLS63

Garage List
simple answer opt for B & O

2008 M3 Sedan + catless + Tune
2012 CLS63 AMG
2014 M6 Coupe + catless + KW V3
2015 Porsche GT3
, 2015 M3, all stock, 1/1 Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #44
Superfluous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

After looking at it a bit more, I think that some people strongly prefer the LEDs because they look at their car without the lights on when they're not driving it. In that case, I think the LED lights do look a fair amount better than without the package. However, when the angel eyes come on while driving, I think the difference is more subtle (as shown in the pics I posted awhile back). However, you don't see your headlights at that time because you're behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0